Posted to alt.home.repair

Default got a DTV converter

I received my 2 vouchers for the DTV-analog converters today,and went to
Wal-Mart and bought one. After using the voucher,it cost me $13 including
tax.
Overall,I'm satisfied;I lost Ch.2(NBC),but gained other channels I could
not receive,and got a excellent picture on all channels that have
sufficient signal strength.I'm going to try to find a better amplified
indoor antenna and see if that doesn't get me Ch.2 back.
Setup of the converter was not difficult.It's interesting that there are
sub-channels for many of the stations,like 24.1,.2,.3,etc.,with different
programming.
One thing is that the remote control for the converter is kinda funky;the
channel up/down buttons are very small and the large L/R/up/down 'cursor'
buttons only work for setup menus. It's possible to use a universal remote
with this model.(Magnavox TB100MW9)
My converter is not one that passes thru analog TV signals.
I'm also going to shop around for one of the converters that DO pass thru
the analog TV signals.(the list supplied has asterisks for those models)

Does anyone have any suggestions for a small DTV antenna suitable for
apartment use,perhaps one that can be put outside on the balcony without
attracting undue notice?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 5, 9:03*pm, Jim Yanik wrote:
[...]

Where do you live?? In the Chicago area no one has the convertors yet
as far as I can find out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Yanik wrote:

[...]

alt.tv.tech.hdtv has a number of discussions on the converter boxes and
antennas
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Yanik wrote:
[...]

My coupons showed up yesterday, and I ended up buying the Wally World
Magnavox-branded ones as well. For ten bucks each, plus tax, I'm happy.
I had similar problems losing the lowest channel, 3 around here. But I
have a year to figure it out- probably replace the weather-beaten
missing-elements roof antenna. If your TV has aux inputs, just split the
incoming antenna wire, and feed the signal that way. That is what I did
on bedroom TV. On living room TV, I have multiple sources anyway, and
just fed the converter into the mechanical switch box.
Best Buy only had Insignia brand, for 20 bucks over the coupon, in a big
clunky box. Since their sales droid ****ed me off as usual, I decided to
go across the street, and saved 10 bucks a unit besides, for a smaller
better looking box. (Yeah, I know, they all probably come from the same
factory in China and have identical guts.)

aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Yanik wrote:
Does anyone have any suggestions for a small DTV antenna suitable for
apartment use,perhaps one that can be put outside on the balcony without
attracting undue notice?

I'm using of of these indoors, and it works well for me.

http://tinyurl.com/ypsskh

--
Tony Sivori

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 04:17:18 GMT, aemeijers wrote:

[...]

Well they couldn't be exactly the same since some have analog
pass-through, and some have some sort of built-in tvguide, and there
may be other options.... well come to think of it they might all have
the same chip but only use some of the outputs.

Thanks Jim for the original post. I've been wondering about this.
They talked on C-span about analog pass-through as something only
people watching those local and relay channels would use, and didn't
say a thing about the year hetween now and then. I'm in Baltimore and
can receive most of the DC stations now. I'm not sure I'll be able to
on digital. I guess because WAMU radio says that its digital signal
is onlyh about 1/10th the strength of it's analog signal. I know
that's radio, but I think the reason they do it is the same, that one
doesn't need such a strong signal with digital. Is that true for tv
too? Becaus it will leave people in the fringe area with no
reception. Is i

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"hr(bob) " wrote in
:

[...]

Orlando.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in
news
On 6 Mar 2008 03:03:26 GMT, Jim Yanik wrote:

[...]

Do they have any that run on batteries?

I have a duplex outlet on my patio.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:

Jim Yanik wrote:
[...]

They aren't all the same, though some units are the same with different
names on them. If they look physically different they probably are.
http://www.avsforum.com has some threads discussing the various
converter boxes and the differences between them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Sivori wrote:

I'm using of of these indoors, and it works well for me.

http://tinyurl.com/ypsskh

I had one but had to send it back as it wasn't working
for me
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 6, 5:31 pm, Jim Yanik wrote:
wrote :

On 6 Mar 2008 13:41:24 GMT, Jim Yanik wrote:

Do they have any that run on batteries?

I have a duplex outlet on my patio.

Guess they don't have hurricanes in Orlando. That is when you need a
battery operated TV

or an inverter that runs on batteries.Or a generator.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I haven't received coupons yet but I wanted one to use with my battery
operated TV - I am also in FL. Hope the kind of converter I buy will
work with it. We have cable but it's basic cable without any boxes.
Not sure yet but think we won't need converter boxes for the other TV
sets.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dottie wrote in
:

[...]

check this site out;
http://www.freelabs.com/~whitis/elec...tv_converters/

they have a comparison chart.

the Digistream D2A1D10 runs on 9 VDC.
Artec T3A 12 VDC/4W max.
MicroGem MG2000 has a "DC input"
Sansonic FT300A runs off a wallwart;it may be either low voltage DC or AC.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

call your coingressional reps the will delay the changeover date a few
more years
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 07 Mar 2008 16:35:12 GMT, larry wrote:

wrote:

call your coingressional reps the will delay the changeover date a few
more years

tell them you can't see their political ads ;-) also, they
want that radio frequency auction money NOW!

batt op? easy, most computer stores have ATSC usb sticks
for less than the converter box.

So these things work! I figured the antenna would be too small or
something.

What about the DVR software that comes with them? Does that work too?

If one went away on vacation for 2 weeks and wanted to record one
daytime hour every weekday and 3 or 4 hours per week at night, which
is about 18 hours total, wouldn't I need a humongous harddrive to hold
all that? (Plus everything else I have on my harddrive, of course.)

My friend maybe not, but I'd also want to be able to watch the TV
program full screen on one monitor while doing my computer stuff on an
other monitor full screen. Hard to do?

What brand(s) do you recommend?

of course the congress
critters won't let you use your $40 coupons for those.

Exactly. Some FAQ of their said they didn't want to pay for upgrading,
only to keep current. But for my regular tv, the only reason I would
now buy a digital dvd recorder, for example, is to keep current, since
I already have a vcr and it's all I needed, and they would still only
be paying 40 dollars. So now I'll probably buy a 50 dollar box and
eventually buy that DVD recorder, paying the full price myself, and
never use the box again that they chipped in 40 dollars on.

I might, and a friend might
we've been using tv cards in the computers the past 5 years.
everyone around here wants to watch their own program
anyways, wonder how long the tv will exist as a standalone.

-- larry / dallas

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

call your coingressional reps the will delay the changeover date a few
more years

tell them you can't see their political ads ;-) also, they
want that radio frequency auction money NOW!

batt op? easy, most computer stores have ATSC usb sticks
for less than the converter box.

So these things work! I figured the antenna would be too small or
something.

I haven't played with one yet, but all that I've seen had an "F"
connector for an antenna input, so you still need to add an antenna.
It's not like WiFi where the microwave frequencies make the antenna
small enough to hide in the dongle, it's still the regular OTA VHF/UHF
so the antenna is a moderate size.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 7, 6:52*pm, Jim Yanik wrote:
aemeijers wrote :

mm wrote:
On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 16:37:00 -0500, wrote:

Do they have any that run on batteries?

On 6 Mar 2008 13:41:24 GMT, Jim Yanik wrote:
I have a duplex outlet on my patio.
Guess they don't have hurricanes in Orlando. That is when you need a
battery operated TV

I would like a battery operated DTV converter so that I can use my 2"
tv.

How are you going to get the output signal of the DTV converter into the 2"
LCD TV? Does the LCD TV have an ext. antenna input?

Given that my DTV converter is bigger than my 2" LCD tv (forget the
brand- not that it matters in that size range)- is anyone yet marketing
similar sizes of digital TVs?

I doubt it;the converter circuits are about the size of a large paperback
book.You could get a 12v LCD monitor and feed the video from the DTV
converter into it,and have a small audio amp for sound.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Jim:

Thanks for all the good info. I lived in Ft Pierce during high school
and got my bachelors at UF Gainesville before moving back north.
Weather looks like you might be having power outages right now - on
Friday.

I went to the official US gov site " www.dtv2009.gov" where they list
all places within X miles that have convertors. Will have to keep
trying, or go to my local WM.

Thanks again.

Bob H
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 7, 1:40*am, wrote:
On 7 Mar 2008 00:33:53 GMT, Jim Yanik wrote:

check this site out;
http://www.freelabs.com/~whitis/elec...tv_converters/

they have a comparison chart.

the Digistream D2A1D10 runs on 9 VDC.
Artec T3A 12 VDC/4W max.
MicroGem MG2000 has a "DC input"
Sansonic FT300A runs off a wallwart;it may be either low voltage DC or AC..

Thanks, Jim, that us useful information. I have some inverters but I
would be happy to have a converter that works with my little battery
set if we are really in the storm.
All of that inverter/generator stuff is nice for after the storm while
you are waiting for FPL

I am guessing the manufacturers will have small digital sets some day
but I am not in a hurry to buy one and eat their startup costs.

All TV sets being manufactured for sale in the US must now have a
digital tuner. This reqt started with the large screens sizes
several years ago and worked it;s way down to even the small ones.
Plus, even without the specific govt reqt, who would buy any set today
that doesn't have a digital tuner. Current plan is for NTSC OTA to be
turned off in less than a year.

I am
really waiting to see where the whole TV market is heading before I
buy much new. I still think there will be a huge IP based TV system on
the internet ... as soon as they can get the business model and DRM
problems worked out. The writer's strike was just the first battle *

Posted to alt.home.repair

TomC wrote in
:

aemeijers wrote in news:YAjAj.288179$MJ6.256686
@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

mm wrote:
On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 16:37:00 -0500, wrote:

On 6 Mar 2008 13:41:24 GMT, Jim Yanik wrote:

Do they have any that run on batteries?

I have a duplex outlet on my patio.
Guess they don't have hurricanes in Orlando. That is when you need
a battery operated TV

I would like a battery operated DTV converter so that I can use my
2" tv.

Given that my DTV converter is bigger than my 2" LCD tv (forget the
brand- not that it matters in that size range)- is anyone yet
marketing similar sizes of digital TVs?

The ipods with screens are the only small video I see lately. Given
how crappy reception is on the tiny TVs, not surprised most stores
quit carrying them. (Mine was an impulse purchase from Sam's Club
remainder rack- marked down to 20 from 70, about 2 years ago.)

If anyone has one of the old Commodore 64 color monitors with
integral sound, you should be able to plug your DTV converter box
directly into that, for a no-fuss solution. Look in the basement and
see.

aem sends...

aem sends...

Do the new converter boxes have channel tuners in them? The commodore
monitors do not. How would you change channels? I always ran mine
through a vcr with a channel tuner then I routed to the monitor.

the DTV converter boxes ARE tuners.
they even come with a remote control,and you run your TV on Ch.3 or 4,like
with a cable or satellite decoder box.

they output either RF or composite video/stereo audio,so you could use it
with a monitor,but you would still need an audio amp and speakers.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 8 Mar 2008 04:34:02 GMT, Jim Yanik wrote:

well,its raining pretty hard right now,has been for a few hours.
But no power outages yet.

what cracks me up is the local news weather guy saying we're "getting
pounded".
It's just rain,not even a hard downpour.
If it rains REALLY hard,the retention pond overflows,and the parking lot
floods.

"News" now, especially tv, wiill do lots of things to make it sound
like something interesting is happening. You're in Florida. One thing
I"ve notice in Baltimroe is the use of the present progressive tense,
even for things that happened hours ago. Even for so called hard
news, the police are raiding an office of so and so, for something
that happened at 4 in the afternoon, even when it is now 10PM.
Because I heard it on the evening news too.

And a few weeks ago,they were bitching about the drought.
This rain beats having forest fires and all that smoke in the air. 8-)

I hope Atlanta and Lake Lanier get some good rain.THEY need it bad.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 12:48:19 -0500, wrote:

For now I will just be happy if I can get one that will run on some
low voltage DC (batteries when the power is off) so I can use the
portable TV during a storm. I haven't looked at it but I understand
one of our local stations runs "all radar all the time" on one of the
digital channels.

I'm sure. While I'm looking for more entertainment, only 3 of the
stations in BAlt and DC currently have any. A fox station has one
other station not weather, a pbs has 3 or 4 stations and one other
stations has one

The rest just have Weather TV.

If you want to know what you might get, go to

www.zap2it.com and enter your zipcode and Broadcast Stations, when it
asks for it, and it will show you what all the digital stations have
scheduled.

You can also have preferences for this site, to give only the stations
you are interested in, either listed above the other ones or to the
exclusion of the other ones.

This might decide for some whehter to get a converter or tv now, or
wait until later.

When I get my converter that will replace the feed
to the TV I have out by the pool, that is on cable weather radar all
the time now.

If you're out by t he pool, can't you tell what the weather is?
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 8 Mar 2008 08:14:14 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Mar 7, 1:40*am, wrote:
[...]

They may be made eearlier but they still are selling sets without
digital tuners. Target had two models, just three weeks ago. Labeled
on the shelf below the tv.

Plus, even without the specific govt reqt, who would buy any set today
that doesn't have a digital tuner. Current plan is for NTSC OTA to be
turned off in less than a year.

Good question. Maybe someone who plans a central converter box
anyhow?

As to my 2 inch tv, it was a present and I've really never used it. So
sad. Hoping to use it next month on the way to Texas.

Can I give it to someone elsewhere in America, north or south, where
they still have analog? Is there an easy way to do this, other than
going to Mexico? Obviously they don't watch enough tv in some of
these countries and I'd like to help them watch more.

I am
really waiting to see where the whole TV market is heading before I
buy much new. I still think there will be a huge IP based TV system on
the internet ... as soon as they can get the business model and DRM
problems worked out. The writer's strike was just the first battle *

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 7, 1:40�am, wrote:
[...]

problems worked out. The writer's strike was just the first battle �- Hide quoted text -

canada will still be analog
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Yanik wrote:
TomC wrote in
:

mm wrote:
[...]

That is the nice thing about the Commodore monitors- they have video and
audio-in jacks, just like a TV. I have run through a couple of them over
the years, hung off spare VCRs as backup recording stations. I wouldn't
pay real money for one, but if I see one at a garage sale for five
bucks, I'd grab it. The last one that died, I opened up to see if it was
something simple- the thing is obviously just 2/3 of a cheap portable
TV, minus the RF circuits.

But given how old commodore hardware is at this point, doubt I'll ever
see one again. As Feb 09 gets closer, I expect Goodwill, et al, will
have a big upswing in their stock of glass TVs at dirt-cheap prices.

aem sends....
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 8 Mar 2008 15:16:55 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

I am
really waiting to see where the whole TV market is heading before I
buy much new. I still think there will be a huge IP based TV system on
the internet ... as soon as they can get the business model and DRM
problems worked out. The writer's strike was just the first battle ?- Hide quoted text -

canada will still be analog

Thanks. They have channels 2 to 86 also? (I'm not actually sure the
US goes up to 86. It was supposed to at one point, but I think they
stop in the 70's or something.)

They ought to come down here and buy truckloads of used analog tvs and
resell them in Canada. I wonder if there is a way to make money doing
that. If I see a Canadian truck, I'll give it to the driver.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 7, 1:40*am, wrote:
[...]

Those who have limited money, and no need for a digital tuner. I know
several people in that situation.

Current plan is for NTSC OTA to be
turned off in less than a year.

I am
really waiting to see where the whole TV market is heading before I
buy much new. I still think there will be a huge IP based TV system on
the internet ... as soon as they can get the business model and DRM
problems worked out. The writer's strike was just the first battle *

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"So far as I can remember, there is not one word
in the Gospels in praise of intelligence."
--Bertrand Russell