Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Eyeglass specifications

This is a "shot in the dark" ...

I broke an eyeglass frame and need to order a replacement, possibly
on the web.

It evidently requires specifications like:

Eye Size: 50mm
Bridge Size: 13mm
Vertical Measurement: 40mm
Horizontal Measurement: 48mm
Temple Length: 130mm

Those specs were lifted from an Ebay offering.

How can I find specifications on an existing pair of eyeglasses?
Any info/suggestions much appreciated.

Peetie
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Eyeglasses are dictated by fashion. The lens must be cut to fit the unique
shape of the frame, which is not part of the specification and different for
virtually every frame made. Go to a "good" eyeglass store or the one you
originally bought them from and see if they can identify the make and model
and if it is still available to order a replacement.

"Peetie Wheatstraw" wrote in message

This is a "shot in the dark" ...

I broke an eyeglass frame and need to order a replacement, possibly
on the web.

It evidently requires specifications like:

Eye Size: 50mm
Bridge Size: 13mm
Vertical Measurement: 40mm
Horizontal Measurement: 48mm
Temple Length: 130mm

Those specs were lifted from an Ebay offering.

How can I find specifications on an existing pair of eyeglasses?
Any info/suggestions much appreciated.

Peetie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 5, 8:05*am, wrote:
On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 05:50:54 -0600, wrote:
I always try to DIY but I agree that this is a job that requires a
pro. *The frames are the cheapest part of glasses since they are mass
produced. *The lenses are custom cut for each person,

That has not been true since the advent of plastic lenses, and
probably before that.

Plastic lenses are molded, not ground.

The lenses are CUT to shape to fit the frames and to have their center
of focus match your own eye spacing. They must be custom CUT for each
person. The machine that does this by GRINDING down the edge of a
round lens.
Posted to alt.home.repair

TRake a look at zinniooptical.com for truly amazing, prescription eyeglasses
and frames, made in China but ordered and shipped from Southern California.
I ordered 4 pairs on the web, and reviews have been outstanding. Also see
39dollarglasses

Smarty

wrote in message
On Mar 5, 8:05 am, wrote:
On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 05:50:54 -0600, wrote:
I always try to DIY but I agree that this is a job that requires a
pro. The frames are the cheapest part of glasses since they are mass
produced. The lenses are custom cut for each person,

That has not been true since the advent of plastic lenses, and
probably before that.

Plastic lenses are molded, not ground.

The lenses are CUT to shape to fit the frames and to have their center
of focus match your own eye spacing. They must be custom CUT for each
person. The machine that does this by GRINDING down the edge of a
round lens.

Posted to alt.home.repair

History:

About 20 years ago, I had 2 pair glasses made.

Safilo Elasta 1056/N 1159

Very good quality. I still have one of the frames, wear them daily.

Maybe 10 years ago, the other frame broke. I took the lens to a
little repair shop and they found an inexpensive frame that fit
the lens.

Such inexpensive frame just broke the other day.

Safilo Elasta 1056/N was "discontinued", hasn't been available for years.

If I could get specifications on the glasses, I could maybe shop for
comparable Safilo or other quality frames on the web?

As mentioned, the markup on such stuff at eyeglass shops is HUGE.
If I could id and price what I need on the web, I could maybe
walk into a shop and get a reasonable deal.

Such is the quandary. Any help/direction?

Peetie

On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 03:54:18 GMT, Peetie Wheatstraw wrote:

This is a "shot in the dark" ...

I broke an eyeglass frame and need to order a replacement, possibly
on the web.

It evidently requires specifications like:

Eye Size: 50mm
Bridge Size: 13mm
Vertical Measurement: 40mm
Horizontal Measurement: 48mm
Temple Length: 130mm

Those specs were lifted from an Ebay offering.

How can I find specifications on an existing pair of eyeglasses?
Any info/suggestions much appreciated.

Peetie

Posted to alt.home.repair

plastic lenses? they can be reground to fit a frame with smaller lenses. I
don't think you are going to find the detailed specifications to get the
contours correct to have existing lenses fit correctly in another frame
without a lot of hand checking. Might check the thrift stores nearby as the
stores local to me have a tray on the checkout counter that have a lot of
eyeglasses. Pat - who also bought a pair of the cheapie (under $30 US)
zenni optical single prescription glasses and have been satisfied with them.

wrote:

This is a "shot in the dark" ...

I broke an eyeglass frame and need to order a replacement, possibly
on the web.

It evidently requires specifications like:

Eye Size: 50mm
Bridge Size: 13mm
Vertical Measurement: 40mm
Horizontal Measurement: 48mm
Temple Length: 130mm

Those specs were lifted from an Ebay offering.

How can I find specifications on an existing pair of eyeglasses?
Any info/suggestions much appreciated.

Peetie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 17:45:03 GMT, Peetie Wheatstraw
wrote:

Such is the quandary. Any help/direction?

Quandry? Man, what a drama queen. You need new glasses. You want
cheap. Go to Lenscrafters, Wal-Mart optical, Target optical, or the
like. Get glasses fixed/replaced and get on with life.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Peetie Wheatstraw wrote:
This is a "shot in the dark" ...

I broke an eyeglass frame and need to order a replacement, possibly
on the web.

It evidently requires specifications like:

Eye Size: 50mm
Bridge Size: 13mm
Vertical Measurement: 40mm
Horizontal Measurement: 48mm
Temple Length: 130mm

Those specs were lifted from an Ebay offering.

How can I find specifications on an existing pair of eyeglasses?
Any info/suggestions much appreciated.

Peetie

The Safilo Elasta 1056/N 1159 frame is NOT discontinued. In fact, you
can get them many places including http://tinyurl.com/ytjxgm . Just
measure (in mm) what you currently have and order the frames. If you
need help in measuring, just go to http://tinyurl.com/2d6ume which is on
the same site.

Don (who googled Safilo Elasta 1056/N 1159)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 13:01:26 -0600, IGot2P wrote:

Peetie Wheatstraw wrote:
[...]

I spent a good 30 min. nursing the google search above. The go-optic
site was the first I dissected. Halfway down the page it clearly states:

We're sorry, this product has been removed from catalog.

I even tried calling them, see if they could help size a similar
frame. No answer. 'Tis only derelict vendors that leave discontinued
product on web site fo'ever and ever?

The second link looks very helpful. Many thanks!

Peetie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 5 Mar 2008 10:40:19 -0800, "patrick mitchel" wrote:

plastic lenses?

Yes. Sorry, I shoulda mentioned.

they can be reground to fit a frame with smaller lenses.

Slightly smaller, come to think of it. I had forgotten ...

I don't think you are going to find the detailed specifications to get the
contours correct to have existing lenses fit correctly in another frame
without a lot of hand checking.

The little repair shop did it in maybe 5 min. That's why I assumed
it was doable.

Might check the thrift stores nearby as the
stores local to me have a tray on the checkout counter that have a lot of
eyeglasses.

Where'd I see such a tray years ago? Goodwill?

Pat - who also bought a pair of the cheapie (under $30 US)
zenni optical single prescription glasses and have been satisfied with them.

Thx,
Peetie

"Peetie Wheatstraw" wrote in message
.. .
History:

About 20 years ago, I had 2 pair glasses made.

Safilo Elasta 1056/N 1159

Very good quality. I still have one of the frames, wear them daily.

Maybe 10 years ago, the other frame broke. I took the lens to a
little repair shop and they found an inexpensive frame that fit
the lens.

Such inexpensive frame just broke the other day.

Safilo Elasta 1056/N was "discontinued", hasn't been available for years.

If I could get specifications on the glasses, I could maybe shop for
comparable Safilo or other quality frames on the web?

As mentioned, the markup on such stuff at eyeglass shops is HUGE.
If I could id and price what I need on the web, I could maybe
walk into a shop and get a reasonable deal.

Such is the quandary. Any help/direction?

Posted to alt.home.repair

You're right, and thanks for correcting the spelling.

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
If memory serves, that's zEnni optical.
www.zennioptical.com might be the correct link. Maybe.

--