Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 6" duct bathroom exhaust fan

OK this is probably a really stupid question but I thought I ask...

I would like to get a high power exhaust fan for my bath. Most of them use
6" duct to vent to the roof. My roof vent is 4" and I don't want to change
it.

Can I get a fan for 6" and then use a reducer to go from 6" to 4" duct then
to the vent?

Will this make it work "better" than a regular 4" exhaust fan?

I think this is a bad idea...

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

MiamiCuse wrote:
OK this is probably a really stupid question but I thought I ask...

I would like to get a high power exhaust fan for my bath. Most of them use
6" duct to vent to the roof. My roof vent is 4" and I don't want to change
it.

Can I get a fan for 6" and then use a reducer to go from 6" to 4" duct then
to the vent?

Will this make it work "better" than a regular 4" exhaust fan?

I think this is a bad idea...

MC

It'll work, but it might be noisier and pull a little less air than it
would with a 6" vent. Whether you'll get better performance than from a
smaller fan designed for a 4" vent, I don't know.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
OK this is probably a really stupid question but I thought I ask...

I would like to get a high power exhaust fan for my bath. Most of them
use 6" duct to vent to the roof. My roof vent is 4" and I don't want to
change it.

Can I get a fan for 6" and then use a reducer to go from 6" to 4" duct
then to the vent?

Will this make it work "better" than a regular 4" exhaust fan?

I think this is a bad idea...

MC
Get the highest CFM 4" unit you can find

Posted to alt.home.repair

MiamiCuse wrote:

OK this is probably a really stupid question but I thought I ask...

I would like to get a high power exhaust fan for my bath. Most of them use
6" duct to vent to the roof. My roof vent is 4" and I don't want to change
it.

Can I get a fan for 6" and then use a reducer to go from 6" to 4" duct then
to the vent?

Will this make it work "better" than a regular 4" exhaust fan?

I think this is a bad idea...

MC

Depends. You might get better performance for awhile. Then,
because the fan is having to work harder due to the restriction
in the duct, you can make the decision again when you have to
replace it because it burns up.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 23, 7:48 pm, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
OK this is probably a really stupid question but I thought I ask...

I would like to get a high power exhaust fan for my bath. Most of them use
6" duct to vent to the roof. My roof vent is 4" and I don't want to change
it.

Can I get a fan for 6" and then use a reducer to go from 6" to 4" duct then
to the vent?

Will this make it work "better" than a regular 4" exhaust fan?

I think this is a bad idea...

MC

Ideally one should use 6" duct all the way (including roof vent) for a
fan with a 6" outlet.

A 6" to 4" reducer will add "effective length" to your duct run as
will your 4" roof vent.

Before you go through all the added complication of dealing with using
6" fan on a restricted ducting system...how about looking into an
adequate fan (cfm & noise level) that is designed to work with a 4"
duct?

Depending on the size of the bathroom & moisture loading, a 4" fan
could work just fine.

Over sizing the fan wrt to cfm is not necessarily a good thing.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

MiamiCuse wrote:

I would like to get a high power exhaust fan for my bath...

I think this is a bad idea...

Me too. Consider

http://www.sunfrost.com/efficient_shower.html

Nick