Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Exterior paint on interior?

I want to paint the interior walls of my garage.

The garage is under the house, has concrete block about half way up, and
the rest is drywalled. Originally, the builder rolled/sprayed on a thin
coat of mix, and dragged a roller through it.

I had painted interior paint on the walls. Now, since washing the vehicles
inside after many years, the mud is peeling in places from the drywall. The
garage is not heated, but stays warmer than the outside air temperature.

Can I use exterior paint on the drywall? Do I have to use a primer on bare
drywall where the mud has come off? Should I primer all areas, even the
area where the mud/texture has not come off?

One last point. Can I use exterior paint on the concrete block? Should I
prime the block, which has never been painted?

Many thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nubs wrote:

I want to paint the interior walls of my garage.

The garage is under the house, has concrete block about half way up, and
the rest is drywalled. Originally, the builder rolled/sprayed on a thin
coat of mix, and dragged a roller through it.

I had painted interior paint on the walls. Now, since washing the vehicles
inside after many years, the mud is peeling in places from the drywall. The
garage is not heated, but stays warmer than the outside air temperature.

Can I use exterior paint on the drywall? Do I have to use a primer on bare
drywall where the mud has come off? Should I primer all areas, even the
area where the mud/texture has not come off?

One last point. Can I use exterior paint on the concrete block? Should I
prime the block, which has never been painted?

Many thanks.

And when you went to two separate real paint stores, Sherwin Willians
and Benj. Moore,
what did the professionals there tell you?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"jJim McLaughlin" wrote in message

And when you went to two separate real paint stores, Sherwin Willians
and Benj. Moore,
what did the professionals there tell you?

Being I can't get to a store until the weekend, I figured I'd see who has
any real first hand knowledge.

Thanks for sharing yours.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 20, 5:42*pm, "Nubs" wrote:
I want to paint the interior walls of my garage.

The garage is under the house, has concrete block about half way up, and
the rest is drywalled. Originally, the builder rolled/sprayed on a thin
coat of mix, and dragged a roller through it.

I had painted interior paint on the walls. Now, since washing the vehicles
inside after many years, the mud is peeling in places from the drywall. The
garage is not heated, but stays warmer than the outside air temperature.

Can I use exterior paint on the drywall? Do I have to use a primer on bare
drywall where the mud has come off? Should I primer all areas, even the
area where the mud/texture has not come off?

One last point. Can I use exterior paint on the concrete block? Should I
prime the block, which has never been painted?

Many thanks.

Just use the exterior paint one coat or 2 to cover, but mud pealing
sounds like moisture is afecting it
Posted to alt.home.repair

i have used exterior on interior for mold control, then added extra
anti mold material.

i couldnt tell the difference between interior and exterior and some
paint is marked for both

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nubs wrote:
"jJim McLaughlin" wrote in message

And when you went to two separate real paint stores, Sherwin Willians
and Benj. Moore,
what did the professionals there tell you?

Being I can't get to a store until the weekend, I figured I'd see who has
any real first hand knowledge.

Thanks for sharing yours.

No need to be snide.

I could just do what too many folks on here do, make it up to stroke
your ego.

Try a telephone call to a paint store if you can't get to a real paint
store.
And try a real paint store, not a strip mall outlet catering to home
owner harry types.

And lose the attitude.

Posted to alt.home.repair

And lose the attitude.

What 'attitude'? Who the f(*&k are you supposed to be?
Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

On Feb 20, 10:05*pm, Robert Barr wrote:
And lose the attitude.

What 'attitude'? *Who the f(*&k are you supposed to be?

Exterior paint is not durable for inside use. It may chalk excessively
and/or the paint would not stick to the surface if it needs to be
repainted. Exterior paint also contains mildewsides/fungicides that
may smell when there is high humidity. It can even pose a health
hazard due to the greater concentration of these mildewsides that are
not normally used inside. Exterior paint used indoors may also worsen
allergies.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 20, 7:30*pm, jim wrote:
On Feb 20, 10:05*pm, Robert Barr wrote:

And lose the attitude.

What 'attitude'? *Who the f(*&k are you supposed to be?

Exterior paint is not durable for inside use. It may chalk excessively
and/or the paint would not stick to the surface if it needs to be
repainted. Exterior paint also contains mildewsides/fungicides that
may smell when there is high humidity. It can even pose a health
hazard due to the greater concentration of these mildewsides that are
not normally used inside. Exterior paint used indoors may also worsen
allergies.

Its for a garage wall, exterior is plenty durable and the statement
about not sticking is bs if the walls are now flat. Your concerns are
not based on experiance.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 20, 6:42*pm, "Nubs" wrote:
I want to paint the interior walls of my garage.

The garage is under the house, has concrete block about half way up, and
the rest is drywalled. Originally, the builder rolled/sprayed on a thin
coat of mix, and dragged a roller through it.

I had painted interior paint on the walls. Now, since washing the vehicles
inside after many years, the mud is peeling in places from the drywall. The
garage is not heated, but stays warmer than the outside air temperature.

Can I use exterior paint on the drywall? Do I have to use a primer on bare
drywall where the mud has come off? Should I primer all areas, even the
area where the mud/texture has not come off?

One last point. Can I use exterior paint on the concrete block? Should I
prime the block, which has never been painted?

Many thanks.

Since a garage might be in a somewhat grey area between being
"interior" and "exterior", may I suggest that you Google something
like "using exterior paint inside" and read all the various reasons
that a multitude of sources say it shouldn''t be done.

For each reason not to do it, see if that reason fits your
circumstance and decide for yourself. It appears to me that you could
make an argument either way when dealing with an unheated garage.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nubs" wrote

The garage is under the house, has concrete block about half way up, and
the rest is drywalled. Originally, the builder rolled/sprayed on a thin
coat of mix, and dragged a roller through it.

I had painted interior paint on the walls. Now, since washing the vehicles
inside after many years, the mud is peeling in places from the drywall.
The garage is not heated, but stays warmer than the outside air
temperature.

Can I use exterior paint on the drywall? Do I have to use a primer on bare
drywall where the mud has come off? Should I primer all areas, even the
area where the mud/texture has not come off?

For a long lasting finish, yes you need to prime the drywall. All of it for
the best finish. Be sure all the mud is off but dont get it too wet in the
process. Let completely dry, then prime and use a paint over that meant to
be 'washed' (exterior will do)

One last point. Can I use exterior paint on the concrete block? Should I
prime the block, which has never been painted?

Yes, and again prime first. You may find the best to use here is stuff sold
for basement cinderblock. It's thicker and easier to add to a pourous
concrete block. It will likely take 2 coats with a thicker roller.

If a brand name helps, last time I was involved with this, Mom got only
Sherman Williams (sold at sears). I am sure there are others as good, but
this one worked for us in a somewhat similar need.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ransley" wrote in message

Exterior paint is not durable for inside use. It may chalk excessively
and/or the paint would not stick to the surface if it needs to be
repainted. Exterior paint also contains mildewsides/fungicides that
may smell when there is high humidity. It can even pose a health
hazard due to the greater concentration of these mildewsides that are
not normally used inside. Exterior paint used indoors may also worsen
allergies.

Its for a garage wall, exterior is plenty durable and the statement
about not sticking is bs if the walls are now flat. Your concerns are
not based on experiance.

I think an exterior paint will be fine for an unheated garage and it will be
more water resistant since he's washing cars in there to the point of mud
spatters on the upper drywall. I wouldnt however use just any exteror on
the cinderblock (so I am assuming the cement blocks are) as it would require
possibly as many as 4 coats to deal with the porous nature.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote

Now that I got thru all the rude comments in this thread.....

Yeah. Poor guy, he asked a simple question. I see no 'attitude' in
anything he said or asked.

I see no reason not to use exterior LATEX paint in a garage. I'd

Good point. I use only latex now and forgot to mention that.

avoid the oil types though. After all, exterior paint is made to
withstand water and such. Interior is not. On concrete block, get a
paint made for block, which will add waterproofing. Peeling joints

Yes. And will take far fewer coats. Some are even 'one coat' with primer
inside it but I've never used that 'primer included' and I remember even the
one coat looked 'better' with 2. Even comes in designer colors grin. Use
a thicker roller for the blocks.

There is no reason other than 'cost' to not use that same over the drywall
if he wants. It is in fact, for interior basement use. He can thin it for
the drywall if he wants.

means you're getting water into the drywall, and probably mold too. I

Oh, I took the 'mud' to be from cars. You are right, he might mean the mud
at the drywall joints is degrading inwhich case he will have to look and see
if it's just from car washing splashes, or something worse.

never understand why anyone puts drywall in a garage, at least at
floor level. If it was my garage, I'd remove the bottom 3 or 4 feet
of drywall and cover it with treated plywood. Then put a trim strip

He said cement block at the bottom, drywall up above (presume above ground
level is drywall). I envisioned the classic 'half sunken garage' you see
oft enough on a hill-side house. Backside probably fairly underground,
front opening at ground level.

I agree with you on the drywall at all though. If it's to be a garage, not
a living space, it would in my case come down at this stage and (sorry,
forgot the exact name) that simple pressboard with holes all in it' go up.
Then again, I'm not splashing water about washing a car in there g.

between the plywood and upper drywall, and paint it with a good
exterior latex paint using the recommended primer.

Yes, that would work. It's heavy to handle for a one person install though
which might be his situation (not mentioned either way).

I'm not sure about primer for block. I'd read the label on the "made
for block" paint can.

That one I am. He wants the stuff for basement cinderblocks. It will be
the most long lasting and easy for his situation, will not mind splashing,
and provide a water seal. It's made for that.

By the way, I put a used door on a shed. The door had to be reversed,
so the inside went to the outside. The door was painted with interior
paint on the original inside. It only took a few weeks for that paint
to peel off. I had to strip the whole door and repaint with exterior
paint.

Grin, I was just explaining to my husband, he cant just paint the cheap wood
screen door but has to prime and use exterior paint on it. We came up with
an alternative though as the wood look is right for that spot so it's drying
from being stained a darker color (matches the rest) and will be sealed with
a clear exterior sealant such as you might use on a wood deck.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 21, 1:45*am, wrote:
On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 20:23:34 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

wrote:
On Feb 20, 6:42*pm, "Nubs" wrote:
[...]

paint.- Hide quoted text -

Mr. Letter,

Your reply is attached to my last post and begins with "Now that I got
thru all the rude comments in this thread..... "

I'll assume you just jumped into the thread at that point and didn't
take my comments as rude. If you did, you completely mis-read the
meaning behind my words.

Regarding your comment "I never understand why anyone puts drywall in
a garage" perhaps it has to do with fire rating. Correct me if I'm
wrong, but doesn't this page show that the proper drywall is both
cheaper and safer? (serious question - I'm not a fire-rating expert.)

http://www.co.larimer.co.us/wildfire...quirements.htm
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
"Experiance". A word that should be in the dictionary, but isn't. Yet.

Does it mean anything like "experience", which is?

--
Obama's childhood mentor, Frank Marshall Davis, was a communist.
http://www.aim.org/aim-column/print/...munist-mentor/

Posted to alt.home.repair

First, I'd probably stop washing the cars in the garage. That might be the
root cause of the problem.

Secondly, I'd go with an oil primer, and an oil satin. Benjamin Moore
probably still carries oil-base in gallons.

Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

On Feb 21, 12:47*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
"Experiance". A word that should be in the dictionary, but isn't. Yet.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"ransley" wrote in message

Its for a garage wall, exterior is plenty durable and the statement
about not sticking is bs if the walls are now flat. Your concerns are
not based on experiance.

Nope - based on common sense and the manuf. guidelines.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nubs wrote:

I want to paint the interior walls of my garage.

If it wasn't the garage, I'd worry about the anti-fungal chemicals in
exterior paint.

I searched for "exterior paint indoors" and found this from the
PaintQualityInstitute.com:

"Use caution in using exterior latex paint indoors because: A.
exterior
paints may have more odor than you want B. they may dry more
slowly,
and be softer than you want C. the flow-out of brushmarks may not
be
as good as you would get with an interior paint. D. check the
product
label and directions carefully, in case a product's directions state
that
it should not be used indoors."

House-painting-info.com said:

"Paints that are dedicated for exterior use have concentrated
mildewcides and fungicides that could have heath risks if used
indoors. Plus, exterior paints have more VOC's, which means
the paint will have a potent smell when compared to its interior
counterparts.

"Exterior paints, especially acrylics, are designed to fast dry
and resist the worst that the environment can offer. Because
of this, exterior paints won't easily flow out smoothly on a
surface and will more difficult to use. Many quality interior
paints have the same great attributes as exterior paints without
the health risks or problems of exterior paints."