Posted to alt.home.repair

Default older wiring devices - flat head screws?

Hi,

started cleaning up some old brass switch and receptacle plates today in
preparation for rewiring one of the bedrooms. These are the old .040"
thick solid brass plates, not new hardware store ones. Anyway I test
fit them on some devices and it appears that they may be resting on the
mounting screws for the devices. The new receps and switches come with
pan/combo head screws, I'm wondering if the old devices used in the 40's
had flat head screws for mounting the devices to the box? it certainly
looks like it might be advisable with these plates; at least one switch
plate shows evidence of being slightly deformed by device screws in the
past.

Also, what's a "standard" length for cover plate screws? I bought
6-32x1/2" brass screws but it appears that those are slightly too long
for the receptacles. 3/8"?

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
[...]

You'll gain a tad using flat head screws. 1/2" screws should be fine. Decora
plates use 1/4"

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM wrote:
"Nate Nagel" wrote in message

[...]

Well I think I found the answer to my question... I found a box of old
wiring devices that I'd removed in an earlier fit of
renovation/updating... ALL of them, even ones that looked fairly new,
had flat head screws.

Pretty scary... I'd replaced one receptacle, I think it was for the
dryer, just because it looked like it'd been burned at some point...
well that was the only one in the box that had the plaster ears broken
off so I could test fit it properly with my faceplates (only box I had
laying around was a plastic old work box) it was attached to a 1900 box
cover, when I removed it I found that the frame was WELDED to the cover
(not intentionally, just apparently through current flow) at both ends.
yikes. don't want to know what happened there.

Anyway, with a little gentle hand reshaping the vintage cover fits fine.
so I guess I need to buy a box of flat head box screws and all will be
well.

Wonder why all the new stuff I bought has pan head screws?

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
Hi,

started cleaning up some old brass switch and receptacle plates today in
preparation for rewiring one of the bedrooms. These are the old .040"
thick solid brass plates, not new hardware store ones. Anyway I test fit
them on some devices and it appears that they may be resting on the
mounting screws for the devices. The new receps and switches come with
pan/combo head screws, I'm wondering if the old devices used in the 40's
had flat head screws for mounting the devices to the box? it certainly
looks like it might be advisable with these plates; at least one switch
plate shows evidence of being slightly deformed by device screws in the
past.

I don't recall when the change took place. The old slotted head screws had
a much flatter head.

I think they were bugle (oval ) shaped. They did in fact sit much flatter
into the device ears.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
RBM wrote:
"Nate Nagel" wrote in message

[...]

I think it's the only way they can make a combo screw. I prefer flat head
phillips

nate