Posted to alt.home.repair

Default drum trap cover

Hey guys. I recently bought a house (about 2 years old - built by the
guy I bought it from) and when I had the inspector come in he
mentioned that I would want to get a cover for the "sewer cleanout" in
the basement. I went to the hardware store today and the guy had no
idea what I was talking about, but he directed me to a drum trap
cover. I told him I was going to go check the diameter of the pipe.
I then googled drum trap cover to find some and read about how they
are only in old houses. Can somebody point me in the right direction?
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

mike wrote:
Hey guys. I recently bought a house (about 2 years old - built by the
guy I bought it from) and when I had the inspector come in he
mentioned that I would want to get a cover for the "sewer cleanout" in
the basement. I went to the hardware store today and the guy had no
idea what I was talking about, but he directed me to a drum trap
cover. I told him I was going to go check the diameter of the pipe.
I then googled drum trap cover to find some and read about how they
are only in old houses. Can somebody point me in the right direction?

The right direction is right down to the parts counter of the nearest
plumbing supply house that will sell to the public. Unfortunately, in
some areas there is a distributor/plumbers cartel and they won't talk
to you or sell you parts (you could kill yourself with a 3/4" copper
el or other lethal repair items and they don;t want to be
liable...right).
Even.cruising the plumbing section in one of the box stores could be
productive. People at Ace Hardware and True Value are better than
average at helping out. look for a flat disc-like thing with threads
on this edges IIRC. HTH

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

mike wrote:
Hey guys. I recently bought a house (about 2 years old - built by the
guy I bought it from) and when I had the inspector come in he
mentioned that I would want to get a cover for the "sewer cleanout" in
the basement. I went to the hardware store today and the guy had no
idea what I was talking about, but he directed me to a drum trap
cover. I told him I was going to go check the diameter of the pipe.
I then googled drum trap cover to find some and read about how they
are only in old houses. Can somebody point me in the right direction?

If your cleanout fitting has female threads, you want
a "cleanout plug":
http://www.plumbingsupply.com/cleanoutplugs.html

You can also use a "dollar plug"
which has an expanding rubber seal:
http://www.fdsons.com/jones-testdoll...04-p-2244.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
mike wrote:

"sewer cleanout" in the basement.

If it is indeed a sewer clean-out, a threaded, 4-inch plug is what you need.

drum trap cover

This SOUNDS like the plastic cover found over a groundwater sump (hole) in a
corner of the basement floor. Such a cover has a radius, 2-inch-wide slot to
accommodate a pump and its connections.
--

JR

Old cast Iron Tub..... Drum trap underneath??? [email protected] Home Repair 2 January 16th 07 04:08 PM
problem removing cover from old shower drain trap in floor, can't continue project without loosening it K Ruck Home Repair 3 July 2nd 05 03:50 AM
Rat Trap Tom Pinner Home Repair 8 May 17th 05 04:06 AM
Making a drum sander, problem truing the drum Larry Bud Woodworking 13 February 3rd 05 04:41 PM
How far down can a trap be? Jon Bergstrom Home Repair 3 January 9th 05 08:38 AM