diesel fuel in a home fuel oil furnace?

Old February 2nd 08, 02:21 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default diesel fuel in a home fuel oil furnace?

Right now Diesel is about $3.249 at the pump. Several people have posted
in here in the last few days about heating oil being almost exactly the
same price, so it looks like there would be no benefit in using Diesel
in a heating system, or heating oil in a Diesel vehicle, from a cost
standpoint. Larry

Old February 2nd 08, 04:26 PM posted to alt.home.repair

lp13-30 wrote:

Right now Diesel is about $3.249 at the pump. Several people have posted
in here in the last few days about heating oil being almost exactly the
same price, so it looks like there would be no benefit in using Diesel
in a heating system, or heating oil in a Diesel vehicle, from a cost
standpoint. Larry

Little or no financial benefit as far as cost per gallon, but for folks
not on automatic delivery who aren't paying attention and let their
heating tank run dry, it's much cheaper to take two 5gal cans to the gas
station and use that to keep the furnace running until getting a normal
delivery the next day vs. an emergency delivery.
Old February 2nd 08, 06:42 PM posted to alt.home.repair

on 2/2/2008 11:26 AM Pete C. said the following:
lp13-30 wrote:

Right now Diesel is about $3.249 at the pump. Several people have posted
in here in the last few days about heating oil being almost exactly the
same price, so it looks like there would be no benefit in using Diesel
in a heating system, or heating oil in a Diesel vehicle, from a cost
standpoint. Larry

Little or no financial benefit as far as cost per gallon, but for folks
not on automatic delivery who aren't paying attention and let their
heating tank run dry, it's much cheaper to take two 5gal cans to the gas
station and use that to keep the furnace running until getting a normal
delivery the next day vs. an emergency delivery.

I have 2 - 5 gallon cans of kerosene. My local hardware store carries
kerosene. I average about 4 gallons a day in the winter, so that will
cover a couple of days.
I usually run out on a Sunday or a holiday. :-).

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Old February 2nd 08, 06:51 PM posted to alt.home.repair
dpb

Meat Plow wrote:

Diesel is too 'dirty' to use in a furnace.

"Dirty" in what sense? It'll be far lower in S than fuel oil,
certainly, owing to the EPA reg's on motor fuels that don't apply to
heating fuel. Depending on grade of fuel oil, could be quite a lot
cleaner-burning, actually...

Old February 2nd 08, 07:33 PM posted to alt.home.repair
dpb

Meat Plow wrote:

I never got a chance to analyze either in a lab. Blame Trane for my answer.

I'm having a hard time figuring what their answer would be based on,
specifically...granted, the engine-fuel additives are way overkill for a
boiler burner, but in general the detergents and so on would help clean
burner tips as they do injectors, the EPA requirements on S, etc., are
designed for reducing emissions, etc. That they would undoubtedly be
more effective in a higher performance application I agree, but still
can't see it being of any significant difference--just extra $$ up the
flue, in general...

Old February 2nd 08, 08:59 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"Pete C." wrote in message
lp13-30 wrote:

Right now Diesel is about $3.249 at the pump. Several people have posted
in here in the last few days about heating oil being almost exactly the
same price, so it looks like there would be no benefit in using Diesel
in a heating system, or heating oil in a Diesel vehicle, from a cost
standpoint. Larry

Little or no financial benefit as far as cost per gallon, but for folks
not on automatic delivery who aren't paying attention and let their
heating tank run dry, it's much cheaper to take two 5gal cans to the gas
station and use that to keep the furnace running until getting a normal
delivery the next day vs. an emergency delivery.

Correct. That was my point too.

Back when I did service work, if you were our cutomer and you ran out during
the middle of the night, *I* would show up with two 5 gallon cans of either
deisel or K1 (kerosene).......

Old February 2nd 08, 09:01 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
On Sat, 02 Feb 2008 16:26:56 +0000, Pete C. wrote:

lp13-30 wrote:

Right now Diesel is about $3.249 at the pump. Several people have posted
in here in the last few days about heating oil being almost exactly the
same price, so it looks like there would be no benefit in using Diesel
in a heating system, or heating oil in a Diesel vehicle, from a cost
standpoint. Larry

Little or no financial benefit as far as cost per gallon, but for folks
not on automatic delivery who aren't paying attention and let their
heating tank run dry, it's much cheaper to take two 5gal cans to the gas
station and use that to keep the furnace running until getting a normal
delivery the next day vs. an emergency delivery.

Diesel is too 'dirty' to use in a furnace.

Not quite. Now the other way around (using #2 heating oil in a diesel car)
might be too dirty.

Old February 3rd 08, 12:08 AM posted to alt.home.repair

lp13-30 wrote:

Right now Diesel is about $3.249 at the pump. Several people have
posted in here in the last few days about heating oil being almost
exactly the same price, so it looks like there would be no benefit
in using Diesel in a heating system, or heating oil in a Diesel
vehicle, from a cost standpoint. Larry

Little or no financial benefit as far as cost per gallon, but for
folks not on automatic delivery who aren't paying attention and let
their heating tank run dry, it's much cheaper to take two 5gal cans
to the gas station and use that to keep the furnace running until
getting a normal delivery the next day vs. an emergency delivery.

I have 2 - 5 gallon cans of kerosene. My local hardware store carries
kerosene. I average about 4 gallons a day in the winter, so that will
cover a couple of days.
I usually run out on a Sunday or a holiday. :-).

Kerosene is the general equivalent of #1 fuel oil, also. I use the #1
from my furnace all the time to run my Reddy heater.
--

Regards,

Twayne

OO0 is a GREAT MS Office replacement
www.openoffice.org

Please respond to the newsgroup, not to
my e-mail, so that all may benefit. I do not
always respond to newsgroup e-mails.

Old February 3rd 08, 12:10 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 02 Feb 2008 12:51:11 -0600, dpb wrote:

Meat Plow wrote:

Diesel is too 'dirty' to use in a furnace.

"Dirty" in what sense? It'll be far lower in S than fuel oil,
certainly, owing to the EPA reg's on motor fuels that don't apply to
heating fuel. Depending on grade of fuel oil, could be quite a lot
cleaner-burning, actually...

I never got a chance to analyze either in a lab. Blame Trane for my
answer.

Then you need to get a mind of your own and stop parroting. Way too
much of that around here lately and much of it is misinformation.

Old November 2nd 10, 01:27 AM posted to alt.home.repair

jeff_wisnia wrote:

I'm pretty sure that here in Taxachusetts there's some kind of
flourescent dye added to heating oil which can be spotted when a diesel
road vehicle is inspected if the owners have been "cheating" the tax man
by running it on heating oil..

Not fluorescent, just red dye and it's the same across the US. Heating
oil / off-road diesel gets red dye to indicate it is not taxed and not
allowed to be used in on-road vehicles, and on-road diesel is taxed and
has no dye (clear to yellow). Other than the tax and dye, they are
essentially both #2 diesel fuel, and the formula on both is adjusted in
the winter in colder areas to reduce gelling.