Posted to alt.home.repair

Default diesel fuel in a home fuel oil furnace?

Right now Diesel is about $3.249 at the pump. Several people have posted
in here in the last few days about heating oil being almost exactly the
same price, so it looks like there would be no benefit in using Diesel
in a heating system, or heating oil in a Diesel vehicle, from a cost
standpoint. Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair

lp13-30 wrote:

Right now Diesel is about $3.249 at the pump. Several people have posted
in here in the last few days about heating oil being almost exactly the
same price, so it looks like there would be no benefit in using Diesel
in a heating system, or heating oil in a Diesel vehicle, from a cost
standpoint. Larry

Little or no financial benefit as far as cost per gallon, but for folks
not on automatic delivery who aren't paying attention and let their
heating tank run dry, it's much cheaper to take two 5gal cans to the gas
station and use that to keep the furnace running until getting a normal
delivery the next day vs. an emergency delivery.
Posted to alt.home.repair

on 2/2/2008 11:26 AM Pete C. said the following:
lp13-30 wrote:

Right now Diesel is about $3.249 at the pump. Several people have posted
in here in the last few days about heating oil being almost exactly the
same price, so it looks like there would be no benefit in using Diesel
in a heating system, or heating oil in a Diesel vehicle, from a cost
standpoint. Larry

Little or no financial benefit as far as cost per gallon, but for folks
not on automatic delivery who aren't paying attention and let their
heating tank run dry, it's much cheaper to take two 5gal cans to the gas
station and use that to keep the furnace running until getting a normal
delivery the next day vs. an emergency delivery.

I have 2 - 5 gallon cans of kerosene. My local hardware store carries
kerosene. I average about 4 gallons a day in the winter, so that will
cover a couple of days.
I usually run out on a Sunday or a holiday. :-).

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Meat Plow wrote:

Diesel is too 'dirty' to use in a furnace.

"Dirty" in what sense? It'll be far lower in S than fuel oil,
certainly, owing to the EPA reg's on motor fuels that don't apply to
heating fuel. Depending on grade of fuel oil, could be quite a lot
cleaner-burning, actually...

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Meat Plow wrote:

I never got a chance to analyze either in a lab. Blame Trane for my answer.

I'm having a hard time figuring what their answer would be based on,
specifically...granted, the engine-fuel additives are way overkill for a
boiler burner, but in general the detergents and so on would help clean
burner tips as they do injectors, the EPA requirements on S, etc., are
designed for reducing emissions, etc. That they would undoubtedly be
more effective in a higher performance application I agree, but still
can't see it being of any significant difference--just extra $$ up the
flue, in general...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pete C." wrote in message
lp13-30 wrote:

Right now Diesel is about $3.249 at the pump. Several people have posted
in here in the last few days about heating oil being almost exactly the
same price, so it looks like there would be no benefit in using Diesel
in a heating system, or heating oil in a Diesel vehicle, from a cost
standpoint. Larry

Little or no financial benefit as far as cost per gallon, but for folks
not on automatic delivery who aren't paying attention and let their
heating tank run dry, it's much cheaper to take two 5gal cans to the gas
station and use that to keep the furnace running until getting a normal
delivery the next day vs. an emergency delivery.

Correct. That was my point too.

Back when I did service work, if you were our cutomer and you ran out during
the middle of the night, *I* would show up with two 5 gallon cans of either
deisel or K1 (kerosene).......

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
On Sat, 02 Feb 2008 16:26:56 +0000, Pete C. wrote:

lp13-30 wrote:

Right now Diesel is about $3.249 at the pump. Several people have posted
in here in the last few days about heating oil being almost exactly the
same price, so it looks like there would be no benefit in using Diesel
in a heating system, or heating oil in a Diesel vehicle, from a cost
standpoint. Larry

Little or no financial benefit as far as cost per gallon, but for folks
not on automatic delivery who aren't paying attention and let their
heating tank run dry, it's much cheaper to take two 5gal cans to the gas
station and use that to keep the furnace running until getting a normal
delivery the next day vs. an emergency delivery.

Diesel is too 'dirty' to use in a furnace.

Not quite. Now the other way around (using #2 heating oil in a diesel car)
might be too dirty.

Posted to alt.home.repair

lp13-30 wrote:

Right now Diesel is about $3.249 at the pump. Several people have
posted in here in the last few days about heating oil being almost
exactly the same price, so it looks like there would be no benefit
in using Diesel in a heating system, or heating oil in a Diesel
vehicle, from a cost standpoint. Larry

Little or no financial benefit as far as cost per gallon, but for
folks not on automatic delivery who aren't paying attention and let
their heating tank run dry, it's much cheaper to take two 5gal cans
to the gas station and use that to keep the furnace running until
getting a normal delivery the next day vs. an emergency delivery.

I have 2 - 5 gallon cans of kerosene. My local hardware store carries
kerosene. I average about 4 gallons a day in the winter, so that will
cover a couple of days.
I usually run out on a Sunday or a holiday. :-).

Kerosene is the general equivalent of #1 fuel oil, also. I use the #1
from my furnace all the time to run my Reddy heater.
--

Regards,

Twayne

OO0 is a GREAT MS Office replacement
www.openoffice.org

Please respond to the newsgroup, not to
my e-mail, so that all may benefit. I do not
always respond to newsgroup e-mails.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 02 Feb 2008 12:51:11 -0600, dpb wrote:

Meat Plow wrote:

Diesel is too 'dirty' to use in a furnace.

"Dirty" in what sense? It'll be far lower in S than fuel oil,
certainly, owing to the EPA reg's on motor fuels that don't apply to
heating fuel. Depending on grade of fuel oil, could be quite a lot
cleaner-burning, actually...

I never got a chance to analyze either in a lab. Blame Trane for my
answer.

Then you need to get a mind of your own and stop parroting. Way too
much of that around here lately and much of it is misinformation.

--

Regards,

Twayne

OO0 is a GREAT MS Office replacement
www.openoffice.org

Please respond to the newsgroup, not to
my e-mail, so that all may benefit. I do not
always respond to newsgroup e-mails.

Posted to alt.home.repair

jeff_wisnia wrote:

I'm pretty sure that here in Taxachusetts there's some kind of
flourescent dye added to heating oil which can be spotted when a diesel
road vehicle is inspected if the owners have been "cheating" the tax man
by running it on heating oil..

Not fluorescent, just red dye and it's the same across the US. Heating
oil / off-road diesel gets red dye to indicate it is not taxed and not
allowed to be used in on-road vehicles, and on-road diesel is taxed and
has no dye (clear to yellow). Other than the tax and dye, they are
essentially both #2 diesel fuel, and the formula on both is adjusted in
the winter in colder areas to reduce gelling.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/1/2010 3:51 PM, nerys wrote:
responding to
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ce-285510-.htm
nerys wrote:
Around here (Egg Harbor Nj)

Home Heating oil is $2.90 a gallon 100 gallon minimum plus delivery charge.

Diesel right down the street is $2.95

Off Road Diesel 1 mile down the road is $2.70
Diesel at same station $2.88

Wanna guess which I use in my heater? yes I have 2 5 gallon gas cans just
for filling my tank.

here diesel has 64 cents of road tax added to it per gallon.

I want some heating oil company to explain to me why their oil is not 64
cents cheaper than diesel when they are precisely the same thing.

I would also love to know why those gas stations are allowed to rape you
for off road diesel as THAT ALSO should be 64 cents cheaper than the price
of diesel.

Grrr makes me so mad

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Blattus_Slaf wrote:

lp13-30 wrote:
Right now Diesel is about $3.249 at the pump. Several people have
posted
in here in the last few days about heating oil being almost
exactly the
same price, so it looks like there would be no benefit in using
Diesel
in a heating system, or heating oil in a Diesel vehicle, from a
cost
standpoint. Larry

Here diesel is $3.59 and fuel oil is that minus the taxes, around $3.20

Fuel oil is always cheaper than diesel because it is not taxed.

That "store bought" fuel may not wanna flow when it's 20 below. Heating
oil is straight #1 diesel. You won't find that at the pump. And the
mix you do find at the pump will not burn as hot and may cost you by
using more and causing excessive build ups in the furnace.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
jeff_wisnia wrote:

snip

Every time one of you legitimate a.h.r. people responds to the spam site
posters, you strengthen their position, and weaken a.h.r. Many or most
of the posts are shills. Many of the rest are spam. They aren't doing
anyone a service by mirroring usenet, and you're sabotaging us by
engaging them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Barker wrote:

That "store bought" fuel may not wanna flow when it's 20 below. Heating
oil is straight #1 diesel.

Heating oil is #2 diesel, not #1 (Kerosene). I have 34 years of
experience with oil heat to confirm that.

You won't find that at the pump.

Yes, actually you will. Kerosene #1 pumps are relatively common.

And the
mix you do find at the pump will not burn as hot and may cost you by
using more and causing excessive build ups in the furnace.

Sorry, you are entirely incorrect. #2 fuel oil and #2 diesel are exactly
the same other than the red dye and taxes, #1 kerosene is always the
same and has a little less BTU content per gal then #2, but that's about
it. None of them will cause any sort of buildup any different than your
normal heating oil.
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Steve Barker wrote:

That "store bought" fuel may not wanna flow when it's 20 below. Heating
oil is straight #1 diesel.

Heating oil is #2 diesel, not #1 (Kerosene). I have 34 years of
experience with oil heat to confirm that.

You won't find that at the pump.

Yes, actually you will. Kerosene #1 pumps are relatively common.

And the
mix you do find at the pump will not burn as hot and may cost you by
using more and causing excessive build ups in the furnace.

Sorry, you are entirely incorrect. #2 fuel oil and #2 diesel are exactly
the same other than the red dye and taxes, #1 kerosene is always the
same and has a little less BTU content per gal then #2, but that's about
it. None of them will cause any sort of buildup any different than your
normal heating oil.

Actually, you are wrong, in some areas. I contacted a number of oil
companies regarding using home heating oil in a standby generator. The
answers that I got back was that in some areas where they don't have enough
volume to justify separate products they use standard diesel fuel for both.
In other areas where there is a large demand for both products, they are
different products. Diesel fuel for engines has higher standards and
specifications to meet, especially in the cetane rating (Similar to octane
rating in gasoline) as the engine must be protected for long life. In these
areas the heating oil is a low grade product as it is only intended to burn
in a furnace, so they will sell you some poor quality crap that is not as
refined. So diesel will be fine for your furnace, but heating oil may damage
your engine. Red dye is added to heating oil and to off-road diesel for use
in farm tractors and/or construction equipment, and this is what I ordered
for my standby generator.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/2/2010 2:47 PM, EXT wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Steve Barker wrote:

[...]

i WASN'T going to try to explain it to him. after all, he does have
twenty seven some years experience jockeying fuel around. (like that
makes him an expert).

--
Steve Barker

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/2/2010 7:21 AM, Pete C. wrote:

Steve Barker wrote:

That "store bought" fuel may not wanna flow when it's 20 below. Heating
oil is straight #1 diesel.

Heating oil is #2 diesel, not #1 (Kerosene). I have 34 years of
experience with oil heat to confirm that.

You won't find that at the pump.

Yes, actually you will. Kerosene #1 pumps are relatively common.

And the
mix you do find at the pump will not burn as hot and may cost you by
using more and causing excessive build ups in the furnace.

Sorry, you are entirely incorrect. #2 fuel oil and #2 diesel are exactly
the same other than the red dye and taxes, #1 kerosene is always the
same and has a little less BTU content per gal then #2, but that's about
it. None of them will cause any sort of buildup any different than your
normal heating oil.

Actually they haven't been since sometime in the 1990s when low sulfur
diesel (500ppm) was mandated. Then about 3 years ago ULSD (15ppm
sulfur) was mandated for on road diesel fuel. My buddy has a liquid
fuels business and they try to dedicate one truck for hauling it because
if you haul say #2 heating oil the residual can be enough to raise the
sulfur content beyond the ULSD spec.
Posted to alt.home.repair

EXT wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Steve Barker wrote:

[...]

I'm not sure where those areas may be. I lived in CT where oil heat is
the norm for 34 years and all the area suppliers supplied #2 that was
the same as the on-road #2 other than the taxes and dye. Certainly more
than enough demand there for separate products is there were such a
thing. Now some big commercial buildings did use lower grades of fuel,
but those also have other grade numbers, i.e. #4, not #2.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Barker wrote:

On 11/2/2010 2:47 PM, EXT wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Steve Barker wrote:

[...]

Please note exactly where in the US the home heating oil is normally
something other than #2. I lived 34 Years in CT where oil heat is the
norm and every area supplier supplied #2 that was the same as the
on-road #2 other than taxes and dye. Only big commercial buildings used
lower grade fuel and those have other grade numbers like #4.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Heat oil 1.22 litre plus hst. Deasel 1.17 litre at local gas bar! Wtf...