Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New electrical circuit - requesting assistance

Hi folks,

I'm planning to run a new electrical circuit out to a storage shed in my
back yard and I'd like some help with the details. I'm the homeowner and
I'll be doing most of the work myself, but I want it to be safe and up to
code.

1. I have called 811 - Call before you dig. They'll be coming out on
Thursday of this week to locate and mark all of the underground utilities.

2. I will be using a licensed electrician to connect the new service to the
existing service, but other than that final step everything else is on me.
I have experience with switches and fixtures, but not with the other
aspects of the project.

3. The rest of the 120VAC circuits in my home are 20A circuits, so by
default I'm planning to make this new circuit 20A as well. I believe a
single 120VAC circuit should be fine for both lights and receptacles out
there. The biggest load I can envision is possibly running a miter saw,
which is rated at 12A. Just in case I take that saw out there, I think a
15A circuit might be stretching it thin.

Q: Any issues with a single new 20A circuit for both lights and
receptacles?

4. Web calculators say I should use 8AWG wire for this circuit because the
run is about 120 feet, from the exterior of the house to the exterior of
the shed. I'm planning to buy 3 solid copper wires, 8AWG, in colors white
(neutral), black (hot), and green (ground). This is instead of a packaged
cable such as Romex because I think it will be less expensive to buy
individual wires and because it might be easier to pull 3 wires through
conduit than to pull Romex.

Q: Any issues so far? I know the black and white wires need to be 8AWG, but
does the green (ground) also need to be 8AWG? Am I looking for wire labeled
THHN or is it something different? I'm buying everything at the local Home
Depot.

5. I'm planning to use conduit versus direct-bury wire. Web calculators
seem to indicate that 1/2 inch conduit is fine, but I was thinking about
using 1 inch to make pulling the wires easier. I'm also open to using 3/4
inch conduit.

Q: Does code mandate a minimum conduit size? (Conduit fill) Does common
sense suggest a different (larger) size? Also, does conduit get assembled
as dry press fit, or does it get glued, section by section?

6. The house has a 240VAC breaker box on the exterior wall, with no room
for an additional breaker, so I'm planning to buy a small 2-circuit
sub-panel that I'd attach to the house, right next to the existing 240VAC
panel. I would ask the electrician to connect the sub-panel to the existing
240VAC panel.

Q: I assume the electrician can create a new circuit from the 240VAC panel.
Are there any issues with that plan?

7. The conduit will be buried by using a trencher. My understanding is that
electrical conduit needs to be buried at least 18 inches deep, whereas if I
went with direct bury I'd have to go 24 inches deep.

Q: Any advice on the use of conduit versus direct bury cable?

***

Once I get power to the shed, I'm good with the project after that. I
appreciate any help I can get with the questions above or anything I might
be overlooking.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, November 19, 2019 at 10:33:25 PM UTC-5, Jim Joyce wrote:
Hi folks,

I'm planning to run a new electrical circuit out to a storage shed in my
back yard and I'd like some help with the details. I'm the homeowner and
I'll be doing most of the work myself, but I want it to be safe and up to
code.

1. I have called 811 - Call before you dig. They'll be coming out on
Thursday of this week to locate and mark all of the underground utilities.

2. I will be using a licensed electrician to connect the new service to the
existing service, but other than that final step everything else is on me.
I have experience with switches and fixtures, but not with the other
aspects of the project.

Permit? If you're going to get an electrician out there anyway, might
be easier and not much more for you to just dig the trench, let them
do the rest.

3. The rest of the 120VAC circuits in my home are 20A circuits, so by
default I'm planning to make this new circuit 20A as well. I believe a
single 120VAC circuit should be fine for both lights and receptacles out
there. The biggest load I can envision is possibly running a miter saw,
which is rated at 12A. Just in case I take that saw out there, I think a
15A circuit might be stretching it thin.

Having extra capacity isn't a bad idea. Any chance you;d need 240V
for anything?

Q: Any issues with a single new 20A circuit for both lights and
receptacles?

Not that I'm aware of. Make sure it's on a GFCI. Probably best
to put a GFCI receptacle as the first point in the shed. That way if it
trips, you can reset it there.

4. Web calculators say I should use 8AWG wire for this circuit because the
run is about 120 feet, from the exterior of the house to the exterior of
the shed. I'm planning to buy 3 solid copper wires, 8AWG, in colors white
(neutral), black (hot), and green (ground). This is instead of a packaged
cable such as Romex because I think it will be less expensive to buy
individual wires and because it might be easier to pull 3 wires through
conduit than to pull Romex.

8 sounds like over kill to me, don't know what calculator you're using.
Generally, 12g is used for 20A. Since it's a 125 ft run, I'd go down to 10g.
You can run individual conductors, but you can just use UF cable and it
will be easier/cheaper.

Q: Any issues so far? I know the black and white wires need to be 8AWG, but
does the green (ground) also need to be 8AWG? Am I looking for wire labeled
THHN or is it something different? I'm buying everything at the local Home
Depot.

THHN is not rated for wet locations. You need THWN. The minimum ground
size for 20A is 12g.

5. I'm planning to use conduit versus direct-bury wire. Web calculators
seem to indicate that 1/2 inch conduit is fine, but I was thinking about
using 1 inch to make pulling the wires easier. I'm also open to using 3/4
inch conduit.

Use UF, skip the conduit.

Q: Does code mandate a minimum conduit size? (Conduit fill) Does common
sense suggest a different (larger) size? Also, does conduit get assembled
as dry press fit, or does it get glued, section by section?

Yes, yes. If you use conduit, I'd go with 3/4". It gets glued together.

6. The house has a 240VAC breaker box on the exterior wall, with no room
for an additional breaker, so I'm planning to buy a small 2-circuit
sub-panel that I'd attach to the house, right next to the existing 240VAC
panel. I would ask the electrician to connect the sub-panel to the existing
240VAC panel.

Q: I assume the electrician can create a new circuit from the 240VAC panel.
Are there any issues with that plan?

Should be OK, depending of course on what other loads are on the existing
panel.

7. The conduit will be buried by using a trencher. My understanding is that
electrical conduit needs to be buried at least 18 inches deep, whereas if I
went with direct bury I'd have to go 24 inches deep.

That's correct.

Q: Any advice on the use of conduit versus direct bury cable?

***

Once I get power to the shed, I'm good with the project after that. I
appreciate any help I can get with the questions above or anything I might
be overlooking.

If you have to pull a permit and have it inspected, which would be the case
in most locations, I would consider doing the trenching and having the
electrician do the rest. He has to come out and do a subpanel anyway,
installing a couple receptacles and light isn't that much more and you know
it will pass. Or at least get it quoted that way before deciding.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/19/2019 10:33 PM, Jim Joyce wrote:
[...]

If you blow a breaker at night you will be left in the dark. What are
you doing in the shed? Power tools? If so, rethink and bring 240 out
there and split it. Even with 120, put a small box for two breakers and
split the lights and plug so you can reset right there, not in the house.

5. I'm planning to use conduit versus direct-bury wire. Web calculators
seem to indicate that 1/2 inch conduit is fine, but I was thinking about
using 1 inch to make pulling the wires easier. I'm also open to using 3/4
inch conduit.

Q: Does code mandate a minimum conduit size? (Conduit fill) Does common
sense suggest a different (larger) size? Also, does conduit get assembled
as dry press fit, or does it get glued, section by section?

Yes, there is a limit to wire size and number. I've not done anything
for a long time so I'm rusty on code. I'd get the electrician out there
and go over the layout and get his recommendations on what is best. In
the long run it will be cheaper.

Q: I assume the electrician can create a new circuit from the 240VAC panel.
Are there any issues with that plan?

Best to have him look.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, November 19, 2019 at 11:11:04 PM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

Rethinking that, you also need a disconnect at the shed. They have
GFCI that are just that, no receptacle and I think they can be used
as the disconnect. So, you could use one of those. Or a switch,
then a GFCI receptacle.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 19 Nov 2019 21:33:23 -0600, Jim Joyce
wrote:

[...]

Don't let the internet pedantics screw with you too much.
1/2" is probably fine if you run enough wire in there initially (7
legal but maybe not possible). I think 5 is plenty. That gives you
240v capability and an extra switch loop. That will be a tug and use
lube. 3/4th is too damned close in price to be worth the hassle.
8 gauge is just silly. What is your load going to be? A weed eater?
Some other garden tool? It will just run an imperceptible amount
slower .If you had an induction motor load I might worry but don;t get
silly. It is a damned shed. If you think it will be a shop some day
use 1" and use a #12 to pull in your 4ga.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 19 Nov 2019 20:56:25 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

[...]

He gets a huge huss in the NEC if this is a 15/20a GFCI protected
circuit on dwelling property. (12" burial depth and a break on the
disconnect). I would still want a snap switch (but I can be a hard ass
:-) )
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 19 Nov 2019 20:10:58 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

[...]

A permit is a good idea. I got one for building the shed, so I know the
procedure now.

3. The rest of the 120VAC circuits in my home are 20A circuits, so by
default I'm planning to make this new circuit 20A as well. I believe a
single 120VAC circuit should be fine for both lights and receptacles out
there. The biggest load I can envision is possibly running a miter saw,
which is rated at 12A. Just in case I take that saw out there, I think a
15A circuit might be stretching it thin.

Having extra capacity isn't a bad idea. Any chance you;d need 240V
for anything?

I really doubt it. I've never needed 240V anywhere else in all these years.

Q: Any issues with a single new 20A circuit for both lights and
receptacles?

Not that I'm aware of. Make sure it's on a GFCI. Probably best
to put a GFCI receptacle as the first point in the shed. That way if it
trips, you can reset it there.

Good point.

4. Web calculators say I should use 8AWG wire for this circuit because the
run is about 120 feet, from the exterior of the house to the exterior of
the shed. I'm planning to buy 3 solid copper wires, 8AWG, in colors white
(neutral), black (hot), and green (ground). This is instead of a packaged
cable such as Romex because I think it will be less expensive to buy
individual wires and because it might be easier to pull 3 wires through
conduit than to pull Romex.

8 sounds like over kill to me, don't know what calculator you're using.
Generally, 12g is used for 20A. Since it's a 125 ft run, I'd go down to 10g.
You can run individual conductors, but you can just use UF cable and it
will be easier/cheaper.

I used the calculators he
https://www.southwire.com/calculator-vdrop
and
http://www.paigewire.com/pumpWireCal...ookieSupport=1

My inputs were 120v, 120 feet, 3% voltage drop, conduit. Both came up with
8ga wire.

Looking at Home Depot's selection of UF cable from Southwire, it looks like
it comes in lengths of 100 and 250 feet. Crap, I'd need the 250 and I'd
have a bunch left over.

Q: Any issues so far? I know the black and white wires need to be 8AWG, but
does the green (ground) also need to be 8AWG? Am I looking for wire labeled
THHN or is it something different? I'm buying everything at the local Home
Depot.

THHN is not rated for wet locations. You need THWN. The minimum ground
size for 20A is 12g.

I only see 2000ft rolls of THWN. I'm not the intended customer for a roll
that size, especially since I'd need 3 rolls to get 3 jacket colors.

5. I'm planning to use conduit versus direct-bury wire. Web calculators
seem to indicate that 1/2 inch conduit is fine, but I was thinking about
using 1 inch to make pulling the wires easier. I'm also open to using 3/4
inch conduit.

Use UF, skip the conduit.

I see this 150ft roll of 10/2 on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Wire-Underground-Feeder-Direct-Burial/dp/B077XM19M5/ref=sr_1_5?crid=4ZPN9M8W4FWZ&keywords=uf+cable+10% 2F3&qid=1574234435&sprefix=uf+cable%2Caps%2C144&sr =8-5

Is that what you're recommending?

Q: Does code mandate a minimum conduit size? (Conduit fill) Does common
sense suggest a different (larger) size? Also, does conduit get assembled
as dry press fit, or does it get glued, section by section?

Yes, yes. If you use conduit, I'd go with 3/4". It gets glued together.

6. The house has a 240VAC breaker box on the exterior wall, with no room
for an additional breaker, so I'm planning to buy a small 2-circuit
sub-panel that I'd attach to the house, right next to the existing 240VAC
panel. I would ask the electrician to connect the sub-panel to the existing
240VAC panel.

Q: I assume the electrician can create a new circuit from the 240VAC panel.
Are there any issues with that plan?

Should be OK, depending of course on what other loads are on the existing
panel.

That panel is dedicated to the kitchen range, the clothes dryer, and the
HVAC.

[...]

Excellent, thanks. I appreciate the info.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Tuesday, November 19, 2019 at 11:11:04 PM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
On Tuesday, November 19, 2019 at 10:33:25 PM UTC-5, Jim Joyce wrote:
Q: Any issues with a single new 20A circuit for both lights and
receptacles?

Not that I'm aware of. Make sure it's on a GFCI. Probably best
to put a GFCI receptacle as the first point in the shed. That way if it
trips, you can reset it there.

Rethinking that, you also need a disconnect at the shed. They have
GFCI that are just that, no receptacle and I think they can be used
as the disconnect. So, you could use one of those. Or a switch,
then a GFCI receptacle.

I like the idea of a disconnect at the shed. Thanks for the suggestions.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/19/19 9:33 PM, Jim Joyce wrote:
Hi folks,

I'm planning to run a new electrical circuit out to a storage shed in my
back yard and I'd like some help with the details. I'm the homeowner and
I'll be doing most of the work myself, but I want it to be safe and up to
code.

Q: Any issues so far? I know the black and white wires need to be 8AWG, but
does the green (ground) also need to be 8AWG? Am I looking for wire labeled
THHN or is it something different? I'm buying everything at the local Home
Depot.

I'd sure ask the electrician about buying the wire from him. He
has his markup,
of course, but you won't be buying stuff to throw in the corner of your
shed to gather
dust.
I'm used to using quad 4 aluminum and larger in my world. Maybe
aluminum wire
would be a cheaper choice. You boxes would have to be rated for it,
though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

You might as well put in a red wire and make it a 240 volt circuit.
When going to the expense and trouble of running 120 feet underground
you may be glad you did at a later date.

+1 YEP now is the time to look ahead.

Phone wire?
Coax cable?
Ethernet cable?

or a least a few strings so you can pull cables later

Mark
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/20/2019 8:57 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 11/20/2019 3:02 AM, Jim Joyce wrote:
On Wed, 20 Nov 2019 00:18:23 -0500, wrote:

Don't let the internet pedantics screw with you too much.

It's all good.

1/2" is probably fine if you run enough wire in there initially (7
legal but maybe not possible). I think 5 is plenty. That gives you
240v capability and an extra switch loop.Â* That will be a tug and use
lube. 3/4th is too damned close in price to be worth the hassle.

Good so far.

8 gauge is just silly. What is your load going to be? A weed eater?
Some other garden tool? It will just run an imperceptible amount
slower .If you had an induction motor load I might worry but don;t get
silly. It is a damned shed. If you think it will be a shop some day
use 1" and use a #12 to pull in your 4ga.

Let's see, I'm thinking of a 4ft LED work light, a transistor radio,
a weed
eater, another light on the exterior of the shed, and worst case, one
serious power tool such as a miter saw rated for 12A. 99% of the time
that
power is being used, it would likely just be the interior work light and
the radio. The other stuff would rarely be used, but I want to plan
for it.

So 10g and not 8ga, then?

I used 10 to my garage and had no problem running a table saw and
other tools.

Â* I used 4/0 aluminum for the 50 foot run to the shop ... but then I
ran a 220V/100A service . Machine tools and welding machines need a bit
more juice than your average table saw .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

10g gives 4.5% drop at 125 ft, I could live with that, unless you have something that's very intolerant and that's at the full 20a capacity. Running a saw etc, should be fine. Lights are led now. If I wanted more, I would do what others have suggested, stick with 10g, add another conductor and you have 240v, you can do an Edison circuit and have two 20a 120v circuits, double the capacity.

Looking at Home Depot's selection of UF cable from Southwire, it looks like
it comes in lengths of 100 and 250 feet. Crap, I'd need the 250 and I'd
have a bunch left over.

Q: Any issues so far? I know the black and white wires need to be 8AWG, but
does the green (ground) also need to be 8AWG? Am I looking for wire labeled
THHN or is it something different? I'm buying everything at the local Home
Depot.

THHN is not rated for wet locations. You need THWN. The minimum ground
size for 20A is 12g.

I only see 2000ft rolls of THWN.

HD sells it by the foot.

I'm not the intended customer for a roll
that size, especially since I'd need 3 rolls to get 3 jacket colors.

5. I'm planning to use conduit versus direct-bury wire. Web calculators
seem to indicate that 1/2 inch conduit is fine, but I was thinking about
using 1 inch to make pulling the wires easier. I'm also open to using 3/4
inch conduit.

Use UF, skip the conduit.

I see this 150ft roll of 10/2 on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Wire-Underground-Feeder-Direct-Burial/dp/B077XM19M5/ref=sr_1_5?crid=4ZPN9M8W4FWZ&keywords=uf+cable+10% 2F3&qid=1574234435&sprefix=uf+cable%2Caps%2C144&sr =8-5

Is that what you're recommending?

That's it. Fretwell pointed out that if you put a gfci at the house, you can bury it 12" deep, instead of 18,but if the trencher can easily do 18,maybe it does not matter much.

[...]

Doh! I hope there is enough capacity. Did you add up all the loads compared to the capacity?

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 20 Nov 2019 05:30:59 -0600, Dean Hoffman
wrote:

On 11/19/19 9:33 PM, Jim Joyce wrote:
Hi folks,

I'm planning to run a new electrical circuit out to a storage shed in my
back yard and I'd like some help with the details. I'm the homeowner and
I'll be doing most of the work myself, but I want it to be safe and up to
code.

Q: Any issues so far? I know the black and white wires need to be 8AWG, but
does the green (ground) also need to be 8AWG? Am I looking for wire labeled
THHN or is it something different? I'm buying everything at the local Home
Depot.

I'd sure ask the electrician about buying the wire from him. He
has his markup,
of course, but you won't be buying stuff to throw in the corner of your
shed to gather
dust.

If I go with UF-B, it looks like I can use the leftovers for inside wiring
to the lights and receptacles, so I could easily use the whole 150ft.

I'm used to using quad 4 aluminum and larger in my world. Maybe
aluminum wire
would be a cheaper choice. You boxes would have to be rated for it,
though.

I know AL is still used for some purposes, but I thin I want to stick with
CU.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 19 Nov 2019 21:33:23 -0600, Jim Joyce
wrote:

Hi folks,

I'm planning to run a new electrical circuit out to a storage shed in my
back yard and I'd like some help with the details. I'm the homeowner and
I'll be doing most of the work myself, but I want it to be safe and up to
code.

If I were putting in electric, I'd also run cat6 internet, coax for tv,
and phone line if I had a home phone and the cordless reception in the
shed wasn't good. Even if I didnt' connect some of it at either end,
I'd have it for the future. Cable internet is more reliable than
wifi, and wifi has distance limitations. Phone line is so cheap I'd
run it anyhow in case the next owner wanted it.

I'd probably run speaker wires too, so I could listen to the same thing
in the house and the shed without turning on two devices, but I suppose
most people don't care about that anymore.

And maybe a speaking tube so you could call back to your house, and a
pneumatic tube so you could send papers back and forth. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Tuesday, November 19, 2019 at 10:33:25 PM UTC-5, Jim Joyce wrote:

6. The house has a 240VAC breaker box on the exterior wall, with no room
for an additional breaker, so I'm planning to buy a small 2-circuit
sub-panel that I'd attach to the house, right next to the existing 240VAC
panel. I would ask the electrician to connect the sub-panel to the existing
240VAC panel.

Q: I assume the electrician can create a new circuit from the 240VAC panel.
Are there any issues with that plan?

Should be OK, depending of course on what other loads are on the existing
panel.

That panel is dedicated to the kitchen range, the clothes dryer, and the
HVAC.

Doh! I hope there is enough capacity. Did you add up all the loads compared to the capacity?

No, I did not. Ugh!

Also, that panel is full, yet the youtube videos all show that a new
breaker is used to feed the sub-panel. However, there's no room for a new
breaker.

I suppose one option would be to use an existing breaker in the main panel
to feed the sub-panel, and then whatever that breaker *was* feeding would
be fed from a new breaker in the sub-panel. I hope I described that
properly.

Does the new sub-panel need a plywood backer board? It'll be mounted to the
exterior of the (brick) house. If so, does the backer board need to be
painted black? One of the YT videos said some jurisdictions have those
requirements, but I haven't checked locally. Lastly, what about a separate
ground rod for the sub-panel, or can it get ground from the main panel?

This is starting to get complicated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

What about some kind of smart device that the wife can turn on from the
kitchen to let me know that dinner's ready? :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

You're right.

Also he may have, or put in later, barrels of beer in the basement so
he should put in a hose to take that straight to the shed. He'd have
the only shed on the block with beer on tap.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Easy to do with Smart Plugs or X10 devices. I had a wireless intercom
in a detached garage as well as a light on and X10 plug. .
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

May be possible to swap breakers for half size. Depends on what you
have and panel limits by code.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Tuesday, November 19, 2019 at 10:33:25 PM UTC-5, Jim Joyce wrote:

6. The house has a 240VAC breaker box on the exterior wall, with no room
for an additional breaker, so I'm planning to buy a small 2-circuit
sub-panel that I'd attach to the house, right next to the existing 240VAC
panel. I would ask the electrician to connect the sub-panel to the existing
240VAC panel.

Q: I assume the electrician can create a new circuit from the 240VAC panel.
Are there any issues with that plan?

Should be OK, depending of course on what other loads are on the existing
panel.

That panel is dedicated to the kitchen range, the clothes dryer, and the
HVAC.

Doh! I hope there is enough capacity. Did you add up all the loads compared to the capacity?

No, I did not. Ugh!

IDK, with the sub-panel full and those major loads already on it,
it doesn't sound too good. I hope it's bigger than 100A.

Dryer 30
HVAC 30
Stove 40 or
Ovens + Cooktop 60....

Also, that panel is full, yet the youtube videos all show that a new
breaker is used to feed the sub-panel. However, there's no room for a new
breaker.

I suppose one option would be to use an existing breaker in the main panel
to feed the sub-panel, and then whatever that breaker *was* feeding would
be fed from a new breaker in the sub-panel. I hope I described that
properly.

Yes, that's what you do. Or as Ed suggested, if it's a panel where half
size breakers are available, you could free up space and not need the
additional sub-panel.

Does the new sub-panel need a plywood backer board? It'll be mounted to the
exterior of the (brick) house.

IDK of any code reqt that say so. I think it depends on what the subpanel
is being used for. If it's in a basement and and romex is going to run
into it, then they use a backer board which gives you a place to staple
the cables to as the enter the panel. But I've seen other sub-panels
outside for pools and such that are just mounted directly to the house
siding and where the wires enter and exit via conduit. That' what you'd
have, with the UF cable going through conduit until it gets underground
or if you use conduit and individual wires. With brick exterior, I'd
probably use a backer board, just to keep it off the brick which can be
damp.

If so, does the backer board need to be
painted black? One of the YT videos said some jurisdictions have those
requirements,

Sounds like BS to me. I've seen a lot of them, never saw one painted
black yet. It's not part of the NEC, that's for sure.

but I haven't checked locally. Lastly, what about a separate
ground rod for the sub-panel, or can it get ground from the main panel?

It has to be grounded from the main panel. The ground and neutral also
remain separate at the sup-panel.

This is starting to get complicated.

It will be more so if there isn't enough capacity in that sub-panel.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 20 Nov 2019 01:35:30 -0600, Jim Joyce
wrote:

There are a few things here you may have heard about that are wrong.

First the 3% is just a recommendation now a real rule and that would
be based on you actually using all of that 20a at one time. 16a is a
more realistic max design load (80% of your 20a). At 16a your #10 will
drop 4.64v or 3.8%. Bear in mind that is a max continuous load for a
20 a circuit.
If you want to use the "dwelling" exception to the 18" deep for
conduit and 24" deep for UF rule, the GFCI protection needs to be at
the house end of the circuit. If you are burying this 18" or 24"
anyway that might not be important.
You can get THHN/THWN conductors in 500' spools at home depot or they
will sell it to you by the foot. The same "by the foot" is true of UF.
If you would never use the left over, that premium they charge by the
foot will come out cheaper. Just be sure you buy enough so you don't
come up short. If you up size the current carrying conductors, you
also need to up size the ground so it will end up the same size on a
20a circuit. (not #12). Code wise, you would be in violation with most
UF cable since the ground for a #8 is typically #10 unless you
specifically get the style with an 8ga ground. That will not be at
Home Depot. For that reason alone, #10 would be a better choice.
The reality is you would have a hard time finding a piece of cord and
plug connected equipment that pulls more than 1440 watts. (12 amps).
You have to seriously ask, "what are you really going to be doing out
there"?
If this is just a shed with a light, a receptacle for yard equipment
and maybe a 1440w heater now and then. I bet #12 would be OK and #10
should be perfect.
If you go much beyond that, like a sub panel, you will be driving
ground rods, installing disconnects etc and this gets a tad more
complicated.
The simple answer is #10/2 for the underground. GFCI at the house so
you can bury 12". They may want a local disconnect depending on your
AHJ but it can just be a 20a rated snap switch and I would do the rest
of the distribution in the shed with #12.
If you really think you might change your mind and want a shop or
something out there use conduit but if this is one and done, UF is
fine. Personally I like wire in pipe but I also change my mind about
things. If you do decide #8 is for you, it will be wire in pipe anyway
unless you go to a real electrical supply and get 8/8/8 UF. Legally
you can run 3 # 8s in a 1/2 inch but I would never try to actually
pull that 120'. 3/4 or even 1' is a better choice and buy a bottle of
lube. If I have a long run like that I squirt a little in the pipe
every couple of sticks as I am putting it together, particularly in
elbows. The pull goes a lot easier.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

You are going to find that if you are wiring devices with #10 you
better have greatly oversized boxes or you will have a real hard time
stuffing that wire back in there. The fill calc for #10 is 2 cu/in per
conductor and 4 more cu/in for the device. That adds up fast and the
minimum size you come up with still might be hard to use.
You will also be using industrial grade 20a devices to find ones that
will accept 10 ga wire. Most 15 and 20a devices are limited to 12 ga.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

You can replace one of the single pole breakers with a tandem and get
an extra circuit that way.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

These days isn't that all in your cell phone? If you really think you
need signaling out there you could drop another 3/4" conduit in the
trench for about $40 but that is so 20th century. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

You have a point about learning when dinner is ready, but you can't get
beer from cell phone.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Since we're throwing ideas around and since beer was mentioned, I'm
reminded that the local Habitat ReStore has about 30-40 used mini fridges
in the store, priced at $20 each. Looks like they came from a hotel. It
might be nice to grab a pair and bookend the workbench. The problem would
be keeping them fully stocked with beer while not wasting any space on
water.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I have plenty of room, so using a bigger box to get room to work wouldn't
be a problem. I haven't bought any of that stuff yet.

You will also be using industrial grade 20a devices to find ones that
will accept 10 ga wire. Most 15 and 20a devices are limited to 12 ga.

I just now checked the Leviton site and it seemed like nearly every switch
can accommodate 10ga wire "back wired", but only 12ga if it's "side wired".
I hope "back wired" doesn't refer to that push-in method but rather
something more substantial. I may have to hold one in my hand to see what
back wired is all about.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 20 Nov 2019 22:28:26 -0600, Jim Joyce
wrote:

I just now checked the Leviton site and it seemed like nearly every switch
can accommodate 10ga wire "back wired", but only 12ga if it's "side wired".
I hope "back wired" doesn't refer to that push-in method but rather

I'm sure it does.

They stopped saying "back-stabbed" because it encouraged violence.

They haven't come up with a 3rd method.

**Just kidding.

something more substantial. I may have to hold one in my hand to see what
back wired is all about.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Load calcs don't usually work that way. If he has resistance heat you
can rack up some numbers pretty fast but the FLA on AC compressors are
nowhere near the breaker you need to support them. Ranges get
calculated at 8 KVA (33a). Dryers typically have a name plate rating
around 5500-5600 VA (22-23a). You also can use a 75% demand factor if
there are 4 or more in the calc.
The 2020 is going to revisit the load calcs in Article 220 but it will
mostly be in commercial. I haven't really seen all the changes tho.

Does the new sub-panel need a plywood backer board? It'll be mounted to the
exterior of the (brick) house.

IDK of any code reqt that say so. I think it depends on what the subpanel
is being used for. If it's in a basement and and romex is going to run
into it, then they use a backer board which gives you a place to staple
the cables to as the enter the panel. But I've seen other sub-panels
outside for pools and such that are just mounted directly to the house
siding and where the wires enter and exit via conduit. That' what you'd
have, with the UF cable going through conduit until it gets underground
or if you use conduit and individual wires. With brick exterior, I'd
probably use a backer board, just to keep it off the brick which can be
damp.

What the code does say is if this is against a masonry wall, the
enclosure needs to be spaced out 1/4" if it is not on a board. (The
AHJ may consider any exterior masonry wall a damp location)

As you say, it makes supporting the cables or conduits a lot easier
with some kind of board.
On outdoor installations the (NEMA) 3R enclosures usually have raised
points where the mounting is to get you that air space so plywood is
not needed. I am not sure plywood will hold up that well outside
anyway. Mounted vertically it would certainly have to have the edges
sealed (paint or something) or it will be de laminating in a year or
two.
I have never seen a rule on color but I have seen some AHJs say they
wanted flame retardant paint. I am not sure where they get that rule.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

That is why he needs a beer fridge out there. What do you think he
wants the power for in the first place?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Nobody ever complained that this box was too big ;-)

You will also be using industrial grade 20a devices to find ones that
will accept 10 ga wire. Most 15 and 20a devices are limited to 12 ga.

I just now checked the Leviton site and it seemed like nearly every switch
can accommodate 10ga wire "back wired", but only 12ga if it's "side wired".
I hope "back wired" doesn't refer to that push-in method but rather
something more substantial. I may have to hold one in my hand to see what
back wired is all about.

They mean the clamping plate that is under the screw on better
devices. That is true on spec/commercial grade devices but your normal
Home Depot $1 special just has screw terminals and maybe the dreaded
spring back stab hole.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Terminate the BigAssedWire in a junction box and tap it off to 12 or
14 for your devices.