Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Refinishing softwood floors

I recently bought an abandoned farm house from the the early 1900's.
It has softwood flooring that has been covered by carpet and vinyl. I
would like to restore the wood and have been given conflicting advice
about softwood. Is it okay to sand the floor with a lower grit to get
the adhesive off the floor, or should I only use higher grit? Is the
overall process the same as hardwood floors? Thanks for any help.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 26, 10:03*am, G Francis wrote:
I recently bought an abandoned farm house from the the early 1900's.
It has softwood flooring that has been covered by carpet and vinyl. *I
would like to restore the wood and have been given conflicting advice
about softwood. *Is it okay to sand the floor with a lower grit to get
the adhesive off the floor, or should I only use higher grit? *Is the
overall process the same as hardwood floors? *Thanks for any help.

What reason have you been given to use finer grit. Glue will clog up
paper I would think fast but with old wood coarse grit is the quickest
way to get to good wood, you might have to remove alot, check the
thickness first it may have been sanded many times before and be to
thin to sand. Abandoned, water damage may not come out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 08:03:09 -0800 (PST), G Francis
wrote:

I recently bought an abandoned farm house from the the early 1900's.
It has softwood flooring that has been covered by carpet and vinyl. I
would like to restore the wood and have been given conflicting advice
about softwood. Is it okay to sand the floor with a lower grit to get
the adhesive off the floor, or should I only use higher grit? Is the
overall process the same as hardwood floors? Thanks for any help.

It is the same. To get a nice smooth surface use 3 or 4 grit grades
working up to 220 or 250 grit. It is much easier to gouge a softer
wood, so be careful about moving or tipping the sander or being in any
spot for too long. Some sanders are much more aggressive than others.
Sanding always makes a mess so having a dust collector and a
well-fitting respirator makes good sense. Also, consider hanging
sheets of plastic to confine the dust else it will easily travel over
the house.
Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

On Jan 26, 1:03*pm, G Francis wrote:
I recently bought an abandoned farm house from the the early 1900's.
It has softwood flooring that has been covered by carpet and vinyl. *I
would like to restore the wood and have been given conflicting advice
about softwood. *Is it okay to sand the floor with a lower grit to get
the adhesive off the floor, or should I only use higher grit? *Is the
overall process the same as hardwood floors? *Thanks for any help.

Not sure about your softwood floor project but at our summer home we
refinished the 800 sq feet of softwood flooring last summer. Real nice
job, took our time and put 5 coats on it. Daughter had some friends up
for a BBQ and someone decided that high heel shoes was appropriate
footwear for cottage country. The rest is history.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Wow, that is a sad story about the high heels. Thanks to everyone for
the advice!

Refinishing Your Hardwood Floors: Can You Do It Yourself? trav Home Repair 0 September 15th 07 04:32 PM
Refinishing hardwood floors: water vs. oil NAL Home Repair 16 November 5th 06 10:12 PM
refinishing 80 yr old fir floors glassartist Home Repair 5 October 5th 06 01:20 AM
refinishing wood floors mo Home Repair 3 September 4th 06 11:07 PM
refinishing old oakwood floors. dtrader7777 Home Repair 1 July 1st 06 12:51 AM