Posted to alt.home.repair

Default shower/tub thermostat fixture upgrade

I want to update my old tub/shower fixtures with one of those
thermostat valves for showering. i found a kit in Lowes for $144, but
getting info or the right info from so called salesman is a joke.
Since then, i found also that I may need what they call a rough valve
body. Now i don't know if that comes with kit or extra. Also, the kit
is chrome. Don't know if that is a good choice. The plumber that would
install it has to obviously get through my tiles to get at the old
pipes. I got an estimate of a Moen fixture with installation at $650
and it is not a thermostat type that i would like. The way it is now i
have to run/waste water for over a minute and 1/2 till it gets warm
enough to take a shower. The installer said something about this other
valve that is the only one they handle, if someone else is running the
hot water in the private house, it would maintain the constant
temperature. Isn't that kind of a thermostat type? BTW, is $650 too
high?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Noel wrote:

[...]

Replacing the shower control will NOT solve the
long delay (1.5 min.) in getting hot water.
To cure that, you need some form of recirculation
system.

Can the "other" side of the shower wall be opened?
That would reduce the amount of tile work that will
be needed.

Persoanlly, I would give this whole project another
loooong look.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 26, 5:10 pm, Speedy Jim wrote:
Noel wrote:
[...]

Don't understand your question about the other side. my tub/shower is
surrounded on 3 sides of tiles. I am not too concerned about the tile,
after the installation of the valve, it would be covered with the
acrylic enclosures and a tub.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Noel wrote:
[...]

The valve your plumber is suggesting is a pressure balanced valve. It
will protect you from changes in water use in other places in your
home.

No shower valve will speed up the hot water in getting to your
shower. That is only a function of the size of the existing pipes
from your hot water heater to the shower. BTW smaller pipes would get
hot water there faster but maybe not with enough flow or pressure.

I have had very good service from Moen valves and when then need a new
cartridge (rarely) Moen supplies them as a warranty item.

bending pipe for shower fixture? Dog Newbie Metalworking 9 December 6th 07 03:12 AM
Shower Thermostat Arthur2 UK diy 9 August 29th 07 10:59 PM
delta shower fixture leaking - naval jelly too strong? [email protected] Home Repair 4 January 19th 07 04:16 PM
Thermostat Upgrade Advice [email protected] Home Repair 0 February 19th 06 07:25 PM
Electric shower upgrade - thermostatic? backy UK diy 5 February 7th 04 11:36 AM