Amana Air Command 80 Gas Fired Furnace (4 blinks) troubleshooting

Old January 24th 08, 07:02 AM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Default Amana Air Command 80 Gas Fired Furnace (4 blinks) troubleshooting

Can you help me troubleshoot my Amana Air Command 80 gas-fired furnace?

1. Today it stopped heating the house; three red blinks were visible.
The instructions say this means the "pressure switch is stuck open".

2. I could see the "top" (smaller" motor wasn't spinning) but the bottom
(bigger) motor was spinning; so, I guessed, there was no vaccum to the
pressure switch - hence - the pressure switch was stuck in the open (off)
position.

3. To test, I removed the hose from the top (smaller) motor & sucked on it.

4. This self-induced vacuum caused the diaphram to move which caused the
mechanical switch connected to the pressure valve to close (I could see the
switch move when I sucked on it).

5. The flame ignighter heated up and the gas started burning.
The three blinking red LED signal went out; I thought I "fixed" my furnace.

I cycled the power a few times while I cleaned the filters and blew dust
from around the wires.

But ...

6. Then the Amana Air Command 80 gas-fired furnace stopped heating again;
this time, four red blinks were visible!

7. Now the opposite ocurred; the "top" (smaller) motor was now spinning but
the bottom (big) motor was not spinning. No air was circulating through the
house.

8. Four blinks indicate an "open Limit Control (primary or auxilliary)".

8. If I cycle the power to the furnace, it works for about ten minutes and
then the bottom (big) motor stops spinning and the four blinks start again.

I have a few questions:
a) How can I troubleshoot this Amana Air Command 80 gas-fired furnace?
b) Is there a reset switch somewhere?
c) Is there a maintenance guide on the web somewhere?

Thanks,
Donna
Old January 24th 08, 07:16 AM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living

1. Today it stopped heating the house; three red blinks were visible.
The instructions say this means the "pressure switch is stuck open".

Literally, the instructions say:

quote
Pressure Switch Stuck Open
If, after the vent blower is energized, the pressure switch does not close,
the congtrol will keep the blower on and wait for the switch to close. The
diagnostic light code for this problem is three short flashes followed by a
pause. The probable cause is either:
a) disconnected hose to the pressure switch,
b) faulty pressure switch or wiring, or
c) restricted air intake or flue piping.
end quote

By pulling the vacuum hose off at the top (smaller) motor side, and sucking
on it, I was able to see the pressure switch diaphragm moved and the
electrical contact closed, causing the heating element to heat up and the
gas to start. So, I could tell the hose was OK (a) and the pressure switch
(b) seemed ok.

That leaves (c).

Can you advise me what it means to have "a restricted air intake or flue
piping"?

Where do I look and what do I do to unrestrict an air intake or flue
piping?

Thanks,
Donna
Old January 24th 08, 07:21 AM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living

8. Four blinks indicate an "open Limit Control (primary or auxilliary)".

Despite the fact that three blinks and a non-spinning top (smaller) motor
were the initial problem, I now have consistently four blinks and a
non-spinning bottom (larger) motor in my Amana Air Command 80 gas-fired
furnace.

Reading the instructions it says:
quote
Open Limit Control (Primary or Auxiliary)
If either limit control opens, the air circulation and vent blower will be
turned on until the limit closes. The diagnostic light code for this is
four short flashes followed by a pause. The probable cause is either:
a) Low conditioned air flow due to dirty filter or resistance in duct work,
b) Faulty limit, faulty blower, or blower speed set too low.
end quote

What does that mean?
What is a "limit control"?
Which motor is the "air circulation" (bottom big motor?) blower?
Which motor is the "vent blower" (top small motor?)?

I know the filter is clean because, while it was really dirty, I replaced
it and I still have the problem. I have no idea how to test resistance in
the duct work, but, I didn't change anything to change that, either before
or after the problem ocurred.

I would have no idea how to set the blower speed.

What's a faulty "limit" and how would I test to ascertain the cause?

Donna
Old January 24th 08, 12:36 PM posted to alt.home.repair, misc.consumers.house, misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Jan 24, 12:21*am, "Donna Ohl, Grady Volunteer Coordinator"
wrote:
[...]

You will need to call someone out to fix your furnace, but here are
some answers to your questions.

The "limit" is a thermostatic switch inside of the furnace that is
there to shut down the burners if it gets too hot. It sounds like
it's doing it's job. The problem you now have sounds like a bad
blower motor (The large motor that circulates air through you house).
Try seting the fan switch on your thermostat to "on" if you can. That
usually will operate the fan on high speed and it may get you by for a
while if it works. If you have air conditioning and you have been
neglecting you air filters, you also may have a plugged up evaporator
coil. The furnace guy will likely need to take apart or cut a hole in
the ductwork surrounding the evaporator coil to inspect and clean it
if needed.

The problems you were having earlier with the pressure switch could be
caused by something getting stuck in the flue. Sometimes, small birds
or other animals like to hang out on the flue pipe on the roof since
it is warm. They then pass out from the carbon monoxide and fall into
the pipe causing a "restriction". Someone will need to disconnect the
flue pipe from the top of the furnace and look inside of it and remove
the dead creature if there is one.

Like I said earlier, time to get the checkbook or creadit card ready
and call a reputible heating company to come out to fix your furnace.
Good luck.
Old January 24th 08, 01:18 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living

In article ,
wrote:

Where do I look and what do I do to unrestrict an air intake or flue
piping?

If I were you, I would call a professional repair person to deal with
this problem. You are asking about a piece of equipment that could cause
serious damage to your home and death and injury to you and your family
if you mess with it and screw something up. Call a professional heating
and repair person to fix the problem.
Old January 24th 08, 03:07 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 06:09:55 -0800 (PST), ransley wrote:
If you have AC look at the coil , clean it if its dirty, is blower
cage dirty, is filter a restrictive type , try to get more air moving,

I do have air conditioning as part of this furnace setup.
I never did any maintenance on it (it's about seven or so years old).

I'd be glad to clean this AC coil; where would I find it?
Also, do you know of a good source on the web for furnace & ac maintenance
WITH PICTURES?

Old January 24th 08, 04:49 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 09:55:07 -0600, Vic Smith wrote:
You said before you sucked a hose and the switch for positive venting
worked.

Yes. What is happening now is different than what at first happened.

FIRST (three blinking lights)
- The smaller motor (which, thanks to this newsgroup, I belatedly realize
is the combustion air venting motor) wasn't spinning - while the larger
motor (which by the process of elimination is the air circulation blower)
was constantly spinning. Perhaps the "limit" (which I take to be a sensor
that shuts things off when it senses something amiss) kicked in for the air
vent.

NOW (four blinking lights)
- I can get the furnace to work for an hour, two or three, but, eventually
the four blinking lights go on indicating one of the two "limits" have been
breached. The two motors (the smaller combustion venting motor and the
larger air circulation blower) remain running but the gas shuts off so the
flame goes out.

A service technician I called said it's 100 bucks to go out to see it so I
have him scheduled for Saturday (the earliest he could get here). Until
then, I want to learn what MAINTENANCE I could/should do.

Where can I get a PICTURE of the maintenance I should do until then?
Please advise!
Thanks,
Donna
Old January 24th 08, 04:55 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 07:07:39 -0700, "Donna Ohl, Grady Volunteer
Coordinator" wrote:

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 06:09:55 -0800 (PST), ransley wrote:
If you have AC look at the coil , clean it if its dirty, is blower
cage dirty, is filter a restrictive type , try to get more air moving,

I do have air conditioning as part of this furnace setup.
I never did any maintenance on it (it's about seven or so years old).

I'd be glad to clean this AC coil; where would I find it?
Also, do you know of a good source on the web for furnace & ac maintenance
WITH PICTURES?

If you're going to try to fix this, read the troubleshooting manual.
Though newer furnaces are a PITA compared to the older ones,
it's fairly easy to locate the problem.
You said before you sucked a hose and the switch for positive venting
worked.
You didn't say if the venting motor was even starting up.
You might get help from the HVAC guys, but you have to be clear on the
steps you're taking, and exactly what's happening at start-up.
Just make sure you don't try to bypass any of the start-up features.
Very dangerous.

--Vic
Old January 24th 08, 06:14 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 07:18:07 -0500, Shawn Hirn wrote:
Call a professional heating
and repair person to fix the problem.

I did. He'll be out here on Saturday. Isn't there ANY maintenance a
homeowner can do themselves?

I'm sure, from the symptoms, that the "limits" kicked in, probably due to
some problem with air circulation.

Besides the filter (which was very dirty but I replaced it yesterday), what
other maintenance can I do.

For example, someone said clean the A/C coils ... but WHERE ARE THEY?

The furnace is in a tiny closet. The AC fan is outside the house.

Donna

Front Command Nadia Murray Woodworking 0 July 3rd 07 08:34 PM
Amana Refrig troubleshooting Stormin Mormon Home Repair 1 July 22nd 06 06:19 AM
WAY OT batch file command Karl Townsend Metalworking 8 September 4th 05 08:10 PM
help with troubleshooting gas furnace? james Home Repair 3 March 1st 05 01:42 PM
Oil fired Furnace maintenance Jim & Lil Home Repair 2 January 21st 04 02:04 AM