Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bathtub handle spins 360 degrees -- water shuts off if in the rightspot

Something in our cold water tub faucet assembly wore out and now the
faucet is spinning 360 degrees. It still works, but you never know the
best place to stop when shutting off the water. What is even more odd,
is that it seems that the hot water is going much, much faster; after
about 10 minutes the water cools off considerably.

We have a two wall-mount faucets and a stopper in the spout. To remove
the faucet I simple turned the entire assembly counterclockwise. Since
the left (hot) faucet works fine, I haven't touched it.

Now, I am left looking at a closeup of what I believe to be the stem.
In the past, I have removed this and replaced the washer or O-ring in
the back, but that was always to replace a faucet that couldn't stop
the flow of water. This works, it just doesn't stop spinning. We have
been using the tub in this configuration for two days since we can
turn off the water by turning the cartridge by hand. (I know water
might leak back there, but I want the motivation to get this done.)

I thought it might be a problem with the handle assembly, so I removed
the functional handle and its associated cartridge stopped at the
correct place without the handle.

I am sure I need to replace some component of the non-functional
cartridge, but I am not sure how to even determine the make of my
handle. I can't find any clues to who makes this except for four
numbers on the escutcheon. Desiring any help that anyone can provide.

pictures available at: http://alexandriahouseremodel.blogspot.com/

thanks,

tim