DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   no cold water or toilet water (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/230623-no-cold-water-toilet-water.html)

[email protected] January 20th 08 12:29 AM

no cold water or toilet water

This morning I noticed that our downstairs toilet tank was not filling
up after a flush. The tank would drain, but there was not water
coming back in through the valve. I replaced the toilet fill valve,
but still no water is coming into the tank. Then I noticed that the
cold water was not working in the sink (same bathroom). The hot water
in the bathroom works fine. (The hot and cold water come from
different supply lines). In the kitchen and upstairs bathroom, the
water works fine. I live in Kansas, and the temp has been around 5-25
degrees the last couple days. Could the pipes be frozen? I am not
sure where the plumbing to this bathroom runs from, as I just moved
into this rental house a couple weeks ago. Any ideas???

Speedy Jim[_2_] January 20th 08 12:38 AM

wrote:

This morning I noticed that our downstairs toilet tank was not filling
up after a flush. The tank would drain, but there was not water
coming back in through the valve. I replaced the toilet fill valve,
but still no water is coming into the tank. Then I noticed that the
cold water was not working in the sink (same bathroom). The hot water
in the bathroom works fine. (The hot and cold water come from
different supply lines). In the kitchen and upstairs bathroom, the
water works fine. I live in Kansas, and the temp has been around 5-25
degrees the last couple days. Could the pipes be frozen? I am not
sure where the plumbing to this bathroom runs from, as I just moved
into this rental house a couple weeks ago. Any ideas???

Excellent chance that branch pipe has frozen.

Where? You're in a better position to find out.
Basement/crawl? Outside wall? If you can find it,
heat the area with a blow dryer.

If it's concealed, there may not be much you can do.
Worse: When it thaws, the pipe may have burst and
will flood some part of the house.

Better contact the owner ASAP.

Jim

JoeSpareBedroom January 20th 08 01:00 AM

wrote in message
This morning I noticed that our downstairs toilet tank was not filling
up after a flush. The tank would drain, but there was not water
coming back in through the valve. I replaced the toilet fill valve,

Good thinking.

Jeez....

James January 20th 08 01:10 AM

no cold water or toilet water

Good chance this is an outside wall, and it has frozen. I have had this
happen and it opens up after the weather warms up a bit. Sometimes I have
been able to keep that one bathroom very warm, and it will warm the pipe and
water would start flowing again to that john.

Yes, it could have burst the pipe, but that doesn't always happen.

James