Posted to alt.home.repair

Default hole in my floor?

Started another home-improvement project today - removing the ancient,
painted-over, peeling-up peel and stick vinyl floor tiles in my laundry
room. Underneath the clothes washer I found a hole in the slab - looked
to be intentional, about the size of a 1x2 board. perfectly rectangular
and appears to go all the way through the slab. I've never seen
anything like it before, what could its purpose have been? To prove to
the new homeowners the thickness of the basement slab? Should I just
foam it up or does it provide some other useful purpose?

I'm gonna be hating life tomorrow... all sorts of hideous, dusty filth
was collecting under the tiles, although once I get it done I can scrub
the slab clean and enjoy an actual clean basement.

Why is it that every home I move into has a filthy basement and I end up
having to don hazmat gear to clean it up and make it pleasant again?

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

The purpose of the square hole in a floor is so a drain can be fitted for
what ever need without having to break up the floor. I had one in my
floor for tub placement so it was a little more flexible than just HERE IS
WHERE YOU WILL PUT THE DRAIN!

Rich

Nate Nagel wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 15:41:34 -0500, Nate Nagel
wrote:

[...]

Carefully clean out this hole. Look deeply to the bottom and you will
see a rounded handle. This is a secret door hatch. You do not want
to open it though. This is a direct entryway to HELL. If you pull
it, you will be sucked into hell in less than one second. This is no
joke. These are found in many homes, and many men have gone to hell
from pulling them. I know it's a temptation, but so is a naked woman
or bottle of whiskey. Drink the whiskey, have sex with the woman, but
DO NOT touch that handle. If you feel a sudden urge to touch it,
place a crucifix in the hole and call your minister, reverend or
priest and ask for an exorcist. BEWARE, Satan is calling you......
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
[...]

This was likely a 1x2 post driven into the ground and used to mark the
proper level for the top of the slab when it was poured and screeded level.
The wood could have rotted out over the years. They are generally removed
after the concrete is leveled but sometimes one is forgotten. Just pour the
hole full of thin concrete mix or whatever you feel like using to fill up
the hole.

Don Young