Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Old house with gas furnace but no filter question

A friend of mine just moved into a small older house. It has a small forced
air gas furnace (Carrier brand), that I'm sure was retrofitted at some
point. For the life of me, I can't find a furnace filter. Did they not use
air filters in the old days? I just want to make sure this isn't a critical
component.

--
Bob D.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob D. wrote:
A friend of mine just moved into a small older house. It has a small forced
air gas furnace (Carrier brand), that I'm sure was retrofitted at some
point. For the life of me, I can't find a furnace filter. Did they not use
air filters in the old days? I just want to make sure this isn't a critical
component.

They don't necessarily come with the furnace. I didn't have a filter in
my house either when I moved in. Had a Honeywell electrostatic added
when the A/C was installed (SWMBO is a clean freak, insisted on either
that or HEPA.)

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 12, 1:24 pm, "Bob D." wrote:
A friend of mine just moved into a small older house. It has a small forced
air gas furnace (Carrier brand), that I'm sure was retrofitted at some
point. For the life of me, I can't find a furnace filter. Did they not use
air filters in the old days? I just want to make sure this isn't a critical
component.

--
Bob D.

The filter is probably supposed to go inside the lower part of the
furnace.

Filters are pretty important.

JK

Posted to alt.home.repair

Old Lennox furnaces had cradle like basket in the lower compartment (under
the burners), which used filter material that came on a roll. You wrap the
filter material around the basket.

RichK

"Bob D." wrote in message
. ..
A friend of mine just moved into a small older house. It has a small

forced
air gas furnace (Carrier brand), that I'm sure was retrofitted at some
point. For the life of me, I can't find a furnace filter. Did they not use
air filters in the old days? I just want to make sure this isn't a

critical
component.

Question about furnace filter - Carrier Infinity 96 [email protected] Home Repair 22 May 30th 06 09:43 PM
gas furnace with no replaceable filter? SeaKan Home Repair 7 January 9th 06 08:57 PM
furnace filter david Home Ownership 3 December 23rd 05 05:42 PM
Furnace Filter Question? djanvk Home Repair 6 August 9th 05 05:23 PM
Furnace filter? Sandy K. Home Repair 6 July 20th 05 05:11 PM