Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Floor joists

I live in Ottawa and have a brand new home 1 year old. I noticed
that was was taking out some 2x4's in my basement and noticed a floor
joist move ! I found 3 floor joists in the basement that do not have
hangers underneath them. Are all floor beams not suppose to have
hangers under them ? Why is it that I have a 1 2.x4 wall holding up
3 floor joists ? Should I contact the builder to check this out
asap ?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 6, 8:03*pm, car crash wrote:
I live in Ottawa and have a brand new home 1 year old. * I noticed
that was was taking out some 2x4's in my basement and noticed a floor
joist move ! * I found 3 floor joists in the basement that do not have
hangers underneath them. * *Are all floor beams not suppose to have
hangers under them ? *Why is it that I have a 1 2.x4 *wall holding up
3 floor joists ? *Should I contact the builder to check this out
asap ?

The tip of the joists should be resting on the foundation wall and
ends banded with another 2x10 (or 2x12 if you have 2x12's). The
joists should not need hangars if they nailed them from the outside
band going in, hangars are only needed if you have no other way to
nail from the outside, older and many new homes have no joist hangars
at all. If the tips are not resting on the foundation wall, then you
probably moved a bearing wall. Have the builder send their "detail
man" out, the guy that they send out to fix after-sale complaints,
nail pops, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 6, 8:03 pm, car crash wrote:
I live in Ottawa and have a brand new home 1 year old. I noticed
that was was taking out some 2x4's in my basement and noticed a floor
joist move ! I found 3 floor joists in the basement that do not have
hangers underneath them. Are all floor beams not suppose to have
hangers under them ? Why is it that I have a 1 2.x4 wall holding up
3 floor joists ? Should I contact the builder to check this out
asap ?

What do you mean by "taking out some 2x4's"? Of course a 2x4 wall in
a basement could be serving as a bearing point for floor joists. No,
every joist does not necessarily have a hangar. A photo would be
very helpful here.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 6, 9:17 pm, marson wrote:
On Jan 6, 8:03 pm, car crash wrote:

I live in Ottawa and have a brand new home 1 year old. I noticed
that was was taking out some 2x4's in my basement and noticed a floor
joist move ! I found 3 floor joists in the basement that do not have
hangers underneath them. Are all floor beams not suppose to have
hangers under them ? Why is it that I have a 1 2.x4 wall holding up
3 floor joists ? Should I contact the builder to check this out
asap ?

What do you mean by "taking out some 2x4's"? Of course a 2x4 wall in
a basement could be serving as a bearing point for floor joists. No,
every joist does not necessarily have a hangar. A photo would be
very helpful here.

This is not an exterior wall it's an interior wall near a staircase.
The floor joists on one end are held into a microland board by
hangers. The other end are simply resting on the top plate of 2x4's
with no nails or nothing in them ! Every joist in my basement has
hangers on them except for these three.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 6, 8:23*pm, car crash wrote:
On Jan 6, 9:17 pm, marson wrote:

[...]

Yes the basement staircase wall often bears a few joists at least,
because there is basically a "hole" for the staircase as the joists
traverse the house. They should have toe nailed those, but just
resting is ok because the floor plywood holds the joists in place
horizontally. Yes it sounds like you affected a bearing wall, I'd put
it back until you figure it out. It may be possible to shorten stair
walls a little with a header and some hangars, but it sounds like you
will need a vertical there somewhere even if you truncate the wall
width.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 6, 9:17 pm, marson wrote:

[...]

I've also noticed that on the adjoining wall is a 12 inch high lvl
beam that at one end is sitting on a jack post and the other end is
being supported by a 2x4 ??? How is that possible ? Is 1 2x4 enough
to hold a lvl beam ?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 6, 9:17 pm, marson wrote:

[...]

Hmmm,
Sounds like El Cheapo built house.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I've also noticed that on the adjoining wall is a 12 inch high lvl
beam that at one end is sitting on a jack post and the other end is
being supported by a 2x4 ??? How is that possible ? Is 1 2x4 enough
to hold a lvl beam ?

It all depends on the load on the LVL. A lot of times, a certain
depth LVL is used because it matches the depth of the floor joists.

You are not very good at following advice (http://groups.google.com/
group/alt.home.repair/browse_thread/thread/
c1f488fb8e31e910/2100482da83e4326#2100482da83e4326) I really think
you are not qualified to be removing walls in your basement. If you
you insist on proceeding, you must get some good advice and follow it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 6, 9:27 pm, marson wrote:
I've also noticed that on the adjoining wall is a 12 inch high lvl
beam that at one end is sitting on a jack post and the other end is
being supported by a 2x4 ??? How is that possible ? Is 1 2x4 enough
to hold a lvl beam ?

It all depends on the load on the LVL. A lot of times, a certain
depth LVL is used because it matches the depth of the floor joists.

You are not very good at following advice (http://groups.google.com/
group/alt.home.repair/browse_thread/thread/
c1f488fb8e31e910/2100482da83e4326#2100482da83e4326) I really think
you are not qualified to be removing walls in your basement. If you
you insist on proceeding, you must get some professional advice and follow it.

Oops, the link didn't work. Check out the thread "Load Bearing Wall"
posted on Dec. 26.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"car crash" wrote in message
I live in Ottawa and have a brand new home 1 year old. I noticed
that was was taking out some 2x4's in my basement and noticed a floor
joist move ! I found 3 floor joists in the basement that do not have
hangers underneath them. Are all floor beams not suppose to have
hangers under them ? Why is it that I have a 1 2.x4 wall holding up
3 floor joists ? Should I contact the builder to check this out
asap ?

Seek professional help!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

car crash wrote:
I live in Ottawa and have a brand new home 1 year old. I noticed
that was was taking out some 2x4's in my basement and noticed a floor
joist move ! I found 3 floor joists in the basement that do not have
hangers underneath them. Are all floor beams not suppose to have
hangers under them ? Why is it that I have a 1 2.x4 wall holding up
3 floor joists ? Should I contact the builder to check this out
asap ?

Please explain the 2x4 wall. Exactly where is it? Is it at the end of
a beam? The beam should have been longer. It is, however, perfectly
acceptable to use a 2x4 wall to hold up any number of floor joists
PROVIDING there is a concrete footer beneath it (under the concrete
floor). If there is no footer then the floor will likely crack and
buckle. Without seeing a picture of the three joists or a better
description of the 3 joists we cannot give any explanation about why it
has a 2x4 wall holding them up.
Posted to alt.home.repair
cln cln is offline

Hmmm,
Sounds like El Cheapo built house.- Hide quoted text -

Sounds like creaping floors and broken tiles El Cheapo too!

Floor joists geraldthehamster UK diy 14 November 7th 07 10:12 PM
Joining floor joists jammy75 Woodworking 1 September 28th 05 06:51 PM
Floor joists Callum UK diy 20 August 23rd 05 08:57 PM
floor joists Sploop UK diy 2 October 2nd 04 03:33 PM
Uneven floor joists....installing new floor covering...2 problems. Dave Bonnell Home Repair 5 October 29th 03 03:58 PM