Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New Tile Floor - How to attach threshold?

I just finished tiling a bathroom. Now I need to install the
threshold. I tiled right up to the doorway where hardwood from the
other room begins. The threshold will sit on the wood. It is some
type of marble or stone.

How should it attach to the floor? I removed the old materials with a
BFH and the old threshold was just sitting on the wood. No glue or
thinset or mortar. How it didn't work loose in 40 years I don't know.

Thinset? Glue? Chewing gum? Gravity?

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Reverend Natural Light wrote:
I just finished tiling a bathroom. Now I need to install the
threshold. I tiled right up to the doorway where hardwood from the
other room begins. The threshold will sit on the wood. It is some
type of marble or stone.

How should it attach to the floor? I removed the old materials with a
BFH and the old threshold was just sitting on the wood. No glue or
thinset or mortar. How it didn't work loose in 40 years I don't know.

Thinset? Glue? Chewing gum? Gravity?

Thanks!

If it is really marble or stone, then I would use a few dabs
or dashes of clear adhesive caulk. Not a sealant, but an
adhesive. I like the urethanes or polyurethanes.

Even construction adhesive would work.

The reason that you thought there was nothing holding it in
place is probably because it was a clear adhesive.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 2, 5:47 pm, Robert Allison wrote:

The reason that you thought there was nothing holding it in
place is probably because it was a clear adhesive.

There was some beer and a large hammer involved - definitely could
have missed that.

Hopefully I have some clear adhesive caulk at home, otherwise it's yet
another tube to buy and use one pump from...

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 2, 2:56 pm, The Reverend Natural Light
wrote:
I just finished tiling a bathroom. Now I need to install the
threshold. I tiled right up to the doorway where hardwood from the
other room begins. The threshold will sit on the wood. It is some
type of marble or stone.

How should it attach to the floor? I removed the old materials with a
BFH and the old threshold was just sitting on the wood. No glue or
thinset or mortar. How it didn't work loose in 40 years I don't know.

Thinset? Glue? Chewing gum? Gravity?

Generally, marble thresholds in those instances are set with the same
grout as the floor, when the floor is grouted,

Same with window sills.

At least they were when I used to set 'em...mmmm... some thirty-x
years ago.
-----

- gpsman