Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Adding air to a well tank - HOW MUCH?

I have a well tank with bladder. I recall something about the amount
needs to be 2 lbs more or is it 2 lbs less than the turn ON switch
setting. Which is it? My switch turns on at 31 and off at 48. The
pump is cycling constantly when I turn on the water, so the air
pressure must be way off. Just to fill the toilet tank, the pump goes
on and off at least 4 times, and that's like 5 gallons or so.

Harry
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 1, 6:25*am, wrote:
I have a well tank with bladder. *I recall something about the amount
needs to be 2 lbs more or is it 2 lbs less than the turn ON switch
setting. *Which is it? *My switch turns on at 31 and off at 48. *The
pump is cycling constantly when I turn on the water, so the air
pressure must be way off. *Just to fill the toilet tank, the pump goes
on and off at least 4 times, and that's like 5 gallons or so.

Harry

In addition to what dpb said:

Fix it quick. Your pump is in the process of being destroyed. Short
cycling is extremely hard on pumps.

Adding more air to the tank will be a temporary fix that will have to
be done every few months. A new bladder tank is not a budget buster
and installation is simple if you are comforatable with plumbing and
wiring.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Harry K wrote:

In addition to what dpb said:

Fix it quick. Your pump is in the process of being destroyed. Short
cycling is extremely hard on pumps.

Good point--

One thing you can try if you can do w/o water for several hours -- when
you drain the water side, pressurize the bladder side to several pounds
over setpoint value -- say +5 and let sit w/. You may be able to force
some of the water back across the barrier but you don't want to put a
whole lot of extra pressure on it. This works far better w/ a diaphragm
design (which I have) rather than a bladder, but it may still help some.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 1, 6:25*am, wrote:
I have a well tank with bladder. *I recall something about the amount
needs to be 2 lbs more or is it 2 lbs less than the turn ON switch
setting. *Which is it? *My switch turns on at 31 and off at 48. *The
pump is cycling constantly when I turn on the water, so the air
pressure must be way off. *Just to fill the toilet tank, the pump goes
on and off at least 4 times, and that's like 5 gallons or so.

Harry

I didn't see it mentioned and just in case:

Proper way to add air. Turn off power to pump, drain tank, add air,
turn power back on.

You may have a 'low pressure cut-off' circuity in the pressure switch,
if so, you have to hold in a button, or a switch that is on the
pressure switch until the pressure builds past the 'cut-in' point when
you turn the power back on.
Haryr K