Posted to alt.home.repair

Default peel and stick tiles

SWMBO picked out some peel and stick tiles. The sales geek sold us a gallon
of floor prep and confidently told us we shouldn't have any problem sticking
it to new concrete. There's a little overspray along the baseline from the
airless, but the rest of the floor is/will be pretty clean. I'm going to
use 4" wide razor scrapers, a broom, and a mop. I'll go around and get all
the overspray knocked loose that I can.

I'm hoping for the best, but these tiles look a little cheesy. How has your
experience been? Should I rent a roller? Application temps are low right
now. Should I wait until it warms up? I have a double head propane heater,
so could get the three small rooms it's going into very warm, save for the
concrete, and that would take days to warm up completely.

What say ye?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri 28 Dec 2007 09:25:15p, SteveB told us...

SWMBO picked out some peel and stick tiles. The sales geek sold us a
gallon of floor prep and confidently told us we shouldn't have any
problem sticking it to new concrete. There's a little overspray along
the baseline from the airless, but the rest of the floor is/will be
pretty clean. I'm going to use 4" wide razor scrapers, a broom, and a
mop. I'll go around and get all the overspray knocked loose that I can.

I'm hoping for the best, but these tiles look a little cheesy. How has
your experience been? Should I rent a roller? Application temps are
low right now. Should I wait until it warms up? I have a double head
propane heater, so could get the three small rooms it's going into very
warm, save for the concrete, and that would take days to warm up
completely.

What say ye?

Steve

Applying on a cold floor, no matter the temperature of the room, may give
you problems. If you do the cleanup and prep adequately, you should have
no problem if the concrete is not cold. I would wait.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Friday, 12(XII)/28(XXVIII)/07(MMVII)
Countdown till New Years
3dys 30mins
This is a day for firm decisions! Or is it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

We had reasonably good luck with our concrete floor and peel & stick.
We prepped with some sort of a latex primer which we rolled on. I
think we did ours in the winter and we only had problems with a few
pieces on the edges that wouldn't stick.

I think it is critical that the floor be clean and dry though.

John

On Dec 28, 11:25*pm, "SteveB" wrote:
SWMBO picked out some peel and stick tiles. *The sales geek sold us a gallon
of floor prep and confidently told us we shouldn't have any problem sticking
it to new concrete. *There's a little overspray along the baseline from the
airless, but the rest of the floor is/will be pretty clean. *I'm going to
use 4" wide razor scrapers, a broom, and a mop. *I'll go around and get all
the overspray knocked loose that I can.

I'm hoping for the best, but these tiles look a little cheesy. *How has your
experience been? *Should I rent a roller? *Application temps are low right
now. *Should I wait until it warms up? *I have a double head propane heater,
so could get the three small rooms it's going into very warm, save for the
concrete, and that would take days to warm up completely.

What say ye?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lou Lou is offline

Steve, make sure the floor is clean as possible and
then clean it again. Use a paint roller to lay some
liquid latex. It's cheap insurance. Then, what I do
that has paid off very well is to flooring glue. Even
though it is self stick, the flooring glue makes for an
easier job and better results. Use a 1/16" notched trowel
to lay the glue and then install the tile. This will help keep
the tile from shrinking in the future and leaving those gaps.
Also, it helps when laying the tile. If you accidentally put the
tile in the wrong place or off a 1/4" it will just slide into place.
Make sure you have a wet rag with you.
Lou
Posted to alt.home.repair

For peel and stick, you need a clean floor. Finish off with masking
tape. By that, I mean you get a 3 inch wide roll and stick it to the
floor where the tile will go and then lift it off. If it sticks,
then the floor is clean enough for the tile. If it doesn't then keep
reapplying fresh masking tape until it does.

But much better is the expensive adhesive paste.

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 20:25:15 -0800, "SteveB"
wrote:

SWMBO picked out some peel and stick tiles. The sales geek sold us a gallon
of floor prep and confidently told us we shouldn't have any problem sticking
it to new concrete. There's a little overspray along the baseline from the
airless, but the rest of the floor is/will be pretty clean. I'm going to
use 4" wide razor scrapers, a broom, and a mop. I'll go around and get all
the overspray knocked loose that I can.

I'm hoping for the best, but these tiles look a little cheesy. How has your
experience been? Should I rent a roller? Application temps are low right
now. Should I wait until it warms up? I have a double head propane heater,
so could get the three small rooms it's going into very warm, save for the
concrete, and that would take days to warm up completely.

What say ye?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

SteveB wrote:

SWMBO picked out some peel and stick tiles. The sales geek sold us a gallon
of floor prep and confidently told us we shouldn't have any problem sticking
it to new concrete. There's a little overspray along the baseline from the
airless, but the rest of the floor is/will be pretty clean. I'm going to
use 4" wide razor scrapers, a broom, and a mop. I'll go around and get all
the overspray knocked loose that I can.

I'm hoping for the best, but these tiles look a little cheesy. How has your
experience been? Should I rent a roller? Application temps are low right
now. Should I wait until it warms up? I have a double head propane heater,
so could get the three small rooms it's going into very warm, save for the
concrete, and that would take days to warm up completely.

What say ye?

Steve

If there is even the tiniest bit of moisture wicking through the
concrete, they will curl. I'd avoid them on any slab that lays on the
ground.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Max Max is offline

On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 16:26:29 -0500, El Stroko Guapo
graced this newsgroup with:

SteveB wrote:

[...]

maybe a thin sheet of glued down plywood as a clean, level barrier?

Posted to alt.home.repair

SteveB wrote:

SWMBO picked out some peel and stick tiles. The sales geek sold us a gallon
of floor prep and confidently told us we shouldn't have any problem sticking
it to new concrete. There's a little overspray along the baseline from the
airless, but the rest of the floor is/will be pretty clean. I'm going to
use 4" wide razor scrapers, a broom, and a mop. I'll go around and get all
the overspray knocked loose that I can.

I'm hoping for the best, but these tiles look a little cheesy. How has your
experience been? Should I rent a roller? Application temps are low right
now. Should I wait until it warms up? I have a double head propane heater,
so could get the three small rooms it's going into very warm, save for the
concrete, and that would take days to warm up completely.

What say ye?

Steve

I would either throw them away, or I would put them down with
regular tile adhesive. I have never seen them installed where
they did not come up over time. And usually a short time at that.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert Allison" wrote in message
SteveB wrote:

[...]

They are safely back at the Borg. When I heard of how they didn't stick in
cold weather, that did it. It's not over about fifty during the day here
and in the teens at night. We decided to get the glue down carpet at the
Borg. Got it in the office and storage room, and it's good. Only slightly
more, too. We live in the middle of sand dunes. I think there would be
noticeable wear patterns in traffic routes very quickly.

Steve

Cheap peel-n-stick floor tile doesn't stick Mike Home Repair 13 June 5th 07 05:31 AM
Peel & stick flooring [email protected] Home Repair 4 March 8th 07 09:29 PM
peel and stick tile jtpr Home Repair 8 August 5th 06 03:11 PM
Taking up Peel & Stick Tiles Suzie-Q Home Repair 3 December 28th 04 06:20 PM
Peel and Stick Tile Rufus V. Smith Home Repair 6 September 5th 03 01:45 PM