Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Habitat For Humanity ReStore?

Has anyone had any experiences purchasing building materials from a
Habitat For Humanity ReStore? Specifically, how do their prices compare
to retail?

Thanks!

--Steve
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve wrote:
Has anyone had any experiences purchasing building materials from a
Habitat For Humanity ReStore? Specifically, how do their prices
compare to retail?

Thanks!

--Steve

Hey, Steve! Read up on the below:
How to Post to more than one group:

Posted to alt.home.repair

Twayne wrote:
Steve wrote:
Has anyone had any experiences purchasing building materials from a
Habitat For Humanity ReStore? Specifically, how do their prices
compare to retail?

Thanks!

--Steve

Hey, Steve! Read up on the below:

Most newsgroups tend to frown on crossposting, so I didn't do it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I can only speak for our local (kansas city) store. The prices will be a
fraction of retail, but the items are sometimes pretty much junk. Of course
the stock changes continously, so you never know what's going to be there.
One thing i did buy once is those plastic j-brackets like you hang plumbing
with. The ones at the store are about 75 cents a piece. Our local Habitat
Restore sells them for $2 a pound. Heck of a deal. I have a five gallon
bucket full of them now.

"Steve" wrote in message
Has anyone had any experiences purchasing building materials from a
Habitat For Humanity ReStore? Specifically, how do their prices compare
to retail?

Thanks!

--Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Me experience in San Antonio-- overall I love the place.I try to get by
every couple of weeks at least. You have to be careful though. They
practically give some things away, and other times ask more for used
stuff than it costs new. We actually have 3 stores now. The newest one,
which is also closest to my house, does not have a whole lot of
inventory yet, but I have gotten some good deals on a few things. They
had a huge bunch of pleated a/c filters that would be $5+ at each most
places, for $1.49, and they had common sizes, not just oddball leftover
sizes. They were brand new, still in the original packages, not damaged
in any way. No telling where they got them. The original store, close to
downtown, still has the best selection. The other one, farthest from me,
has a lot of stuff, but I never found much that intersted me there. Of
course , the biggest problem is that if I see something that I think is
a real bargain, I usually buy it, thinking I will eventually have a need
for it. I'm running out of room to keep all my bargains. Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Steve wrote:

Has anyone had any experiences purchasing building materials from a
Habitat For Humanity ReStore? Specifically, how do their prices compare
to retail?

Thanks!

--Steve

Their prices can be very good. Their selection tends to be pretty awful.

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

lp13-30 wrote:

Me experience in San Antonio-- overall I love the place.I try to get by
every couple of weeks at least. You have to be careful though. They
practically give some things away, and other times ask more for used
stuff than it costs new. We actually have 3 stores now. The newest one,
which is also closest to my house, does not have a whole lot of
inventory yet, but I have gotten some good deals on a few things. They
had a huge bunch of pleated a/c filters that would be $5+ at each most
places, for $1.49, and they had common sizes, not just oddball leftover
sizes.

I WISH ours had oddball sizes. My furnace is oddball.

They were brand new, still in the original packages, not damaged
in any way. No telling where they got them. The original store, close to
downtown, still has the best selection. The other one, farthest from me,
has a lot of stuff, but I never found much that intersted me there. Of
course , the biggest problem is that if I see something that I think is
a real bargain, I usually buy it, thinking I will eventually have a need
for it. I'm running out of room to keep all my bargains. Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lou Lou is offline

I go to one in northern Illinois, and most of the time
I'm disappointed. Their prices seem to be 75% of what
they would be new. On top of this you can't buy 2 or 3 cabinets,
you have to buy the whole set. This place is always croweded because
they are not selling. I realize that they have to pay the rent, but
most all of their help is volunteers, and selling that high seems to
have slowed them down.
Lou
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Lou wrote:
I go to one in northern Illinois, and most of the time
I'm disappointed. Their prices seem to be 75% of what
they would be new. On top of this you can't buy 2 or 3 cabinets,
you have to buy the whole set. This place is always croweded because
they are not selling. I realize that they have to pay the rent, but
most all of their help is volunteers, and selling that high seems to
have slowed them down.

Recall the purpose is a fund-raising mechanism -- you may as well
consider a portion of the cost of anything purchased there a donation to
HFH. Whether that's on your particular radar as a suitable donee is
your choice, of course, but there's no sense in the attitude I sense in
most responses here of thinking their purpose is to be a bargain
house--it isn't.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DPB, I have actually bought a few things over the years that for one
reason or another I ended up not using/needing, and went and donated
them back. And on some other items-- machinery type things with
mechanical or electrical parts that may or may not work-- I figure if
they do not work, I'll just toss them and consider the money went to a
good cause.