DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   installing tile backsplash, where to start (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/226976-installing-tile-backsplash-where-start.html)

Mikepier December 22nd 07 01:39 PM

installing tile backsplash, where to start

I'm ready to install 4x4 tile for my backsplash in the kitchen. It is
approx 11 feet wall to wall, 18" high, and has a stove on the same
wall. My question is where would be the best place to start? I'm
thinking find the midpoint of the wall, then test out the tile to see
if I end up with equal cuts on each end and adjust if necessary,
right?
Also, I wanted to start with full tiles on the bottom granite
countertop, and butt them up against the bottom of the wall cabinets,
whether they end up as full tiles or not does not matter since you
can't really notice them. Is this right?
And I'm assuming i run the full 18" tile behind the stove, right?

Ken[_6_] December 22nd 07 02:23 PM

Mikepier wrote:
I'm ready to install 4x4 tile for my backsplash in the kitchen. It is
approx 11 feet wall to wall, 18" high, and has a stove on the same
wall. My question is where would be the best place to start? I'm
thinking find the midpoint of the wall, then test out the tile to see
if I end up with equal cuts on each end and adjust if necessary,
right?
Also, I wanted to start with full tiles on the bottom granite
countertop, and butt them up against the bottom of the wall cabinets,
whether they end up as full tiles or not does not matter since you
can't really notice them. Is this right?
And I'm assuming i run the full 18" tile behind the stove, right?

You are correct in trying to lay out the tiles. If the backsplash
behind the stove is taller (and most are) than the area under the
cabinets, I would center the tiles on that area. This area behind the
stove is the first area viewed when looking at that wall, and you would
be wise to have it symmetric.
As for the starting of full tiles above the countertop: I would try to
do this unless you ended up with a sliver of a tile on the top of that
area. If that was the case, cut some of the lowest tile so that the
difference is split between the lowest and the upper tile. Taking time
to lay out a ceramic tile job is something you will never regret. Once
the tile is applied, you do NOT want to remove it due to a mistake.

Mikepier December 22nd 07 04:43 PM

On Dec 22, 8:23*am, Ken wrote:
Mikepier wrote:
[...]

Fortunately i just have a microwave over the stove, plus my stove has
a high back with the clock, controls,etc, so this will be the
smallest visible part of the backsplash.
What is better, mastic tile adhesive in a bucket or regular thinset
mortar? I have plwood on my backsplash wall now.

Ken[_6_] December 22nd 07 11:20 PM

Mikepier wrote:
On Dec 22, 8:23 am, Ken wrote:
Mikepier wrote:
[...]

I would use the mastic. Adhering ceramic to concrete is best done with
thinset, but to wood or drywall I would use mastic.

mike December 23rd 07 01:20 AM

On Dec 22, 4:39*am, Mikepier wrote:
I'm ready to install 4x4 tile for my backsplash in the kitchen. It is
approx 11 feet wall to wall, 18" high, and has a stove on the same
wall. My question is where would be the best place to start? I'm
thinking find the midpoint of the wall, then test out the tile to see
if I end up with equal cuts on each end and adjust if necessary,
right?
Also, I wanted *to start with full tiles on the bottom granite
countertop, and butt them up against the bottom of the wall cabinets,
whether they end up as full tiles or not does not matter since you
can't really notice them. Is this right?
And I'm assuming i run the full 18" tile *behind the stove, right?

Are you sure you want a tile backsplash? I know a lot of people do it
to save money over having the same granite/quartz material as the
counter, but you'd be suprised at how wet the backsplash around the
sink can get. Having standing water on the grout may cause you to
regret installing a tile backsplash.

Mikepier December 23rd 07 02:18 PM

On Dec 22, 7:20*pm, mike wrote:
[...]

Yeah, I thought about it, but I already spent a lot on the
countertops, also I got a good deal on the tiles.
Wouldn't the stove stick out 1 1/4" also if I used granite behind the
stove?

Ken[_6_] December 23rd 07 04:22 PM

Mikepier wrote:
On Dec 22, 7:20 pm, mike wrote:
[...]

I am sure you realize that a sealer exists for the grout? Nothing is
perfect, but it helps.

Mike December 23rd 07 09:23 PM

"Mikepier" wrote in message
On Dec 22, 7:20 pm, mike wrote:
[...]

Yes that's why the Granite Splash doesn't go behind the stove

Mikepier December 24th 07 02:58 PM

On Dec 23, 3:23*pm, "Mike" wrote:
"Mikepier" wrote in message

On Dec 22, 7:20 pm, mike wrote:

[...]

Yes that's why the Granite Splash *doesn't go behind the stove- Hide quoted text -

So what goes behind the stove? Tile, laminate?