Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Can I remove my oil tank gauge by myself?

I have a very old (30-50 years old?) oil tank in my basement and the
gauge has stopped working. I tried to loosen it up with a big wrench
to see if it just got stuck inside but it wouldn't budge. My father-in-
law said I'd need to affix a long pipe to the wrench to loosen it. Is
there any way I can damage the tank by using this extra force. What
I'm worried about is the plug being rusted to the tank and the force
actually breaking the threads.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 20, 8:49*pm, Joe wrote:
I have a very old (30-50 years old?) oil tank in my basement and the
gauge has stopped working. I tried to loosen it up with a big wrench
to see if it just got stuck inside but it wouldn't budge. My father-in-
law said I'd need to affix a long pipe to the wrench to loosen it. Is
there any way I can damage the tank by using this extra force. What
I'm worried about is the plug being rusted to the tank and the force
actually breaking the threads.

Use some penetrating oil, but the tank is thick and should hold
easily, last week my boiler guy cranked on our 60 yr old boiler, it
worked. Worst is you get a thread tap..So get a long pipe for leverage.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 18:49:25 -0800 (PST), Joe
wrote:

I have a very old (30-50 years old?) oil tank in my basement and the
gauge has stopped working. I tried to loosen it up with a big wrench
to see if it just got stuck inside but it wouldn't budge. My father-in-
law said I'd need to affix a long pipe to the wrench to loosen it. Is
there any way I can damage the tank by using this extra force. What
I'm worried about is the plug being rusted to the tank and the force
actually breaking the threads.

The gauge has a lever and float attached to it. I believe the tank
must be empty in order for the gauge lever to be pointing down. If
not you will break the lever off when removing the gauge.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

wrote:

I have a very old (30-50 years old?) oil tank in my basement and the
gauge has stopped working. I tried to loosen it up with a big wrench
to see if it just got stuck inside but it wouldn't budge. My father-in-
law said I'd need to affix a long pipe to the wrench to loosen it. Is
there any way I can damage the tank by using this extra force. What
I'm worried about is the plug being rusted to the tank and the force
actually breaking the threads.

The gauge has a lever and float attached to it. I believe the tank
must be empty in order for the gauge lever to be pointing down. If
not you will break the lever off when removing the gauge.

no, you want to pull up on the gauge so the float is folded over. they
don't go straight when empty they always have some angle on them.

If the tank is 30 to 50 years old one better be careful when using force
the tank is probably getting weak. The best advice is as stated
spraying something on it that will penetrate the rust and then remove
it. if you ruin the threads be prepared to install a new tank.

that scares me. I don't think anything I spray on it is going to
penetrate the seal because there is some kind of painted on sealant on
it that looks like gray paint. I really don't want to have to spring
for a new tank right now, is there any other way to gauge how much oil
is in the tank? There is no other available hole to put a separate
gauge. I tried just knocking on it but I really can't tell the
difference, it always sounds a little hollow.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

difference, it always sounds a little hollow.- Hide quoted text -

These tanks usually rust out from the bottom because that's where
water collects, not from the top where the fitting is. Your father
in law is correct. You need a pipe wrench to unscrew a fitting like
that. It's perfectly normal. I'd never even bother with a regular
wrench. I'd try to have the tank about 3/4 full to give it more mass
so it won't move. I think the risk of causing a problem unscrewing
the fitting is low. Just make sure you don't cause the tank to move
and damage the piping. If it were my tank though and it were 30 to
50 years old, I'd probably be replacing it as a precaution because of
eventual tank failure due to rusting out.

You could also call a HVAC company and have them do it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote:

that scares me. I don't think anything I spray on it is going to
penetrate the seal because there is some kind of painted on sealant on
it that looks like gray paint. I really don't want to have to spring
for a new tank right now, is there any other way to gauge how much oil
is in the tank? There is no other available hole to put a separate
gauge. I tried just knocking on it but I really can't tell the
difference, it always sounds a little hollow.

knock the stuff off with a wire wheel and then spray this stuff on it

http://www.pbblaster.com/store/morei...m?Product_ID=1

it works. then use the wrench with a pipe on it for leverage to turn
the gauge.

Old fuel tank gauge? ? ? Ray Home Repair 11 August 17th 07 04:46 PM
Underground oil tank gauge Steve Home Ownership 1 November 28th 06 12:12 AM
replacing oil tank gauge Joe Home Repair 5 November 17th 06 02:10 PM
oil tank gauge not resetting after fillup Joe Home Ownership 0 November 13th 06 03:43 PM
Remote Gauge for OIL central heating tank Vødkäjéllÿ Home Ownership 2 March 21st 05 08:33 AM