Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Jigsaw or Sander?

I've been offered a choice of two gifts for a prize I won at work. A
DeWALT Palm Grip Orbital Sander or a Skil Orbital Cut Scrolling
Jigsaw. Which one is more useful for a homeowner?
Posted to alt.home.repair
Lou Lou is offline

On Dec 14, 11:45 pm, Joe wrote:
I've been offered a choice of two gifts for a prize I won at work. A
DeWALT Palm Grip Orbital Sander or a Skil Orbital Cut Scrolling
Jigsaw. Which one is more useful for a homeowner?

Go with the Jigsaw. You can pickup palm sanders for as cheap as
$10. I use them to rough sand not finish sand so a cheapy works for
me.
Get the jigsaw, you can't pick that up for $10.
Lou
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 21:45:05 -0800 (PST), Joe
wrote:

I've been offered a choice of two gifts for a prize I won at work. A
DeWALT Palm Grip Orbital Sander or a Skil Orbital Cut Scrolling
Jigsaw. Which one is more useful for a homeowner?

They are both useful and very different machines. I'd get the (better
brand) DeWalt sander.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Lou" wrote in message
Go with the Jigsaw. You can pickup palm sanders for as cheap as
$10. I use them to rough sand not finish sand so a cheapy works for
me.
Get the jigsaw, you can't pick that up for $10.
Lou

But some cheap jigsaws are not even worth $10 and will frustrate the hell
out of you trying to use them. A good one is a Bosch or Milwaukee, etc, for
$150.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Joe wrote:
I've been offered a choice of two gifts for a prize I won at work. A
DeWALT Palm Grip Orbital Sander or a Skil Orbital Cut Scrolling
Jigsaw. Which one is more useful for a homeowner?

I wore out two sanders before I acquired my first jigsaw. That
will give you some idea which tool this homeowner needs more
frequently.

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |

Posted to alt.home.repair

sander.

those orbital cut jigsaws are junk.

"Joe" wrote in message
I've been offered a choice of two gifts for a prize I won at work. A
DeWALT Palm Grip Orbital Sander or a Skil Orbital Cut Scrolling
Jigsaw. Which one is more useful for a homeowner?

Posted to alt.home.repair

You might want to post this question n rec.woodworking.

Lots of good opinion there tools, much of it
very strongly held. (VBG).

Joe wrote:
I've been offered a choice of two gifts for a prize I won at work. A
DeWALT Palm Grip Orbital Sander or a Skil Orbital Cut Scrolling
Jigsaw. Which one is more useful for a homeowner?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 14:18:29 -0600, Red Green
wrote:

Joe wrote in news:11a5b743-b192-4005-a0a1-
:

I've been offered a choice of two gifts for a prize I won at work. A
DeWALT Palm Grip Orbital Sander or a Skil Orbital Cut Scrolling
Jigsaw. Which one is more useful for a homeowner?

Just hope the 1099 they send you isn't for 5x the retail value.

I'll take the cash rather than the "gift." I hate the IRS.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Phisherman wrote in
:

wrote:

Joe wrote in news:11a5b743-b192-4005-a0a1-
:

I've been offered a choice of two gifts for a prize I won at work. A
DeWALT Palm Grip Orbital Sander or a Skil Orbital Cut Scrolling
Jigsaw. Which one is more useful for a homeowner?

Just hope the 1099 they send you isn't for 5x the retail value.

I'll take the cash rather than the "gift." I hate the IRS.

You'll still get a 1099.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Red Green" wrote in message

Just hope the 1099 they send you isn't for 5x the retail value.

I'll take the cash rather than the "gift." I hate the IRS.

You'll still get a 1099.

How do you know that? Many companies give small gifts with no 1099.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:3cd9j.4384$Vq.3558
@nlpi061.nbdc.sbc.com:

"Red Green" wrote in message

Just hope the 1099 they send you isn't for 5x the retail value.

I'll take the cash rather than the "gift." I hate the IRS.

You'll still get a 1099.

How do you know that? Many companies give small gifts with no 1099.

You're right. I don't KNOW it. I've seen it happen many times having done
taxes for folks. If company choses not to take deduction then they won't
get 1099. I guess I should say be prepared for it that it MAY happen.

Stand corrected.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Red Green" wrote in message
How do you know that? Many companies give small gifts with no 1099.

Instead, the value of the gift gets tacked onto your W-2 wages. This
may not apply if your employer makes or sells tools.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob" wrote in message
. net...
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Red Green" wrote in message
How do you know that? Many companies give small gifts with no 1099.

Instead, the value of the gift gets tacked onto your W-2 wages. This may
not apply if your employer makes or sells tools.

That may be perfectly legal, but I don't want to work for a company that
does that to an employee for a $20 gift or prize just so they can get the
deduction. Cheap *******s.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Red Green" wrote in message

Just hope the 1099 they send you isn't for 5x the retail value.

I'll take the cash rather than the "gift." I hate the IRS.

You'll still get a 1099.

How do you know that? Many companies give small gifts with no 1099.

You're right. I don't KNOW it. I've seen it happen many times having done
taxes for folks. If company choses not to take deduction then they won't
get 1099. I guess I should say be prepared for it that it MAY happen.

Stand corrected.

That's ridiculous were talking chump change not new cars

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

"Red Green" wrote in message

Just hope the 1099 they send you isn't for 5x the retail value.

I'll take the cash rather than the "gift." I hate the IRS.

You'll still get a 1099.

How do you know that? Many companies give small gifts with no 1099.

You're right. I don't KNOW it. I've seen it happen many times having done
taxes for folks. If company choses not to take deduction then they won't
get 1099. I guess I should say be prepared for it that it MAY happen.

Stand corrected.

Thanks for the heads up Red, I'll be looking for it. I did win a trip
this year and I'm getting crushed on the taxes right now. The company
is claiming the full retail value of the trip as as salary this month
if they didn't get a volume discount. Is there any way I can fight
this?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mike" wrote in
:

"Red Green" wrote in message

Just hope the 1099 they send you isn't for 5x the retail value.

I'll take the cash rather than the "gift." I hate the IRS.

You'll still get a 1099.

How do you know that? Many companies give small gifts with no 1099.

You're right. I don't KNOW it. I've seen it happen many times having
done taxes for folks. If company choses not to take deduction then
they won't get 1099. I guess I should say be prepared for it that it
MAY happen.

Stand corrected.

That's ridiculous were talking chump change not new cars

I know Mike. An even personal example is ex-wifie did a call in to a
radio show, you know like 10th caller thing, and won some stupid spa
session thing. Got a 1099 the next year for a hundred bucks.