Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Repair / Replace old GE Disposall

Anyone know about these old GE Disposalls ?? The model number must
have fallen off. No number on it. The thing is broken.
The motor runs but the blades don't turn.

It looke to me like there was once a bolt head right in the center of
the thing, as you look down the into the hole. Looks like the bolt
head has snapped off because the shaft of the bolt spins as the motor
runs, but the shaft isn't connected to anything (anymore).

The head of the bolt must be down in the trap now, or maybe just
snugly off in a corner somewhere.

The motor spins at the usual speed, but it doesn't turn anything
except the shaft.

The "cutting assembly" moves freely, by hand, around the shaft, and
even moves up and down, off the shaft, so nothing is stuck.

In a perfect world, it seems I could just take the old Disposall
out, take it to a machine shop where they could extract the headless
bolt, then just buy a new bolt, reassemble the thing, replace it in
the sink and then have a cold beer and relish a job well done.

I'm trying to avoid spending a fortune having a plumber come in and
fix / replace it.

Am I right about the bolt?

I called the GE answer center 800 number and the guy was pleasant but
said he couldn't help me without a model number !! (even though I told
him it was probably a 1985 or 1986 )

I might end up buying a new insinkerator, but I still want to know if
I'm right about the bolt theory.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 09:45:58 -0800 (PST), utilitarian
wrote:

[...]

Replace it and do it yourself. After 12 years of daily use mine
stopped working (it rusted out) and I bought a slightly more powerful
and quieter model. This is an easy procedure for most DIYs. You'll
need some plumber's putty to put under the strainer and a screwdriver.
With power off, remove the bottom plates from both disposals. Secure
the white, black and green wires and replace the bottom plate. Follow
the directions included with your new disposal. Turn the power back
on, test your disposal, then have a cold beer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Uh, don't forget about the dishwasher drain plug. If you have a
dishwasher that drains through the disposal, you gotta knock out the
plug where the dishwasher drain hose attaches, otherwise you got a
mess. This should be a basic part of "following the directions", but I
have seen a few threads on this newsgroup where people have forgotten
that little step.

Jerry
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Jerry- Hide quoted text -

I recently replaced a 2 year old disposal and didnt disturb the top
part, justr unhitched the old and installed the new one.

quick easy 45 minutes of uncomfy work with my dad watching from a
wheel chair
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 17, 11:45 am, utilitarian wrote:
[...]

If you have the skills to remove it, you have the skills to replace
it. If might be as easy as you say to "take it to a machine shop",
but even if you had a friend in the business, it's a lot of effort to
try to fix it, and you are saying that it is 22 years old, which is
probably well beyond the average service life of a disposal.

JK

Stinky Disposall Bubba Home Repair 15 May 4th 06 12:46 PM
Lubicating rubber gaskets in garbage disposall? Martin Home Repair 2 April 7th 06 03:17 AM
TV Repair or Replace Jack Electronics Repair 10 January 30th 06 11:46 PM
GE Garbage Disposal Quit (Disposall) Craig Williams Home Repair 1 February 2nd 05 12:39 PM
JVC 27" Repair or Replace shatnerfan Electronics Repair 7 December 6th 03 01:58 PM