Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dock on my swimming pool?

I live in the northeast (New Jersey) and have a 15 x 30 inground
swimming pool. Currently I have a vinyl pool cover that I will need to
replace prior to next winter. I have a 4 year old and a 1 year old, so
safety is a maximum concern... The pool is only used in June, July,
and August, yet takes up almost my entire yard. Also, it is a PAIN to
syphen the water out every time it rains, and even more of a pain to
get the million leaves out in the fall. All pf this and I have not
even dealt with snow YET... I just bought the home in May.

There are safety covers on the market. These stretch out across the
pool and are fastened around the perimeter. Pros... Safe for the kids,
rain rolls right off (one side of pool is 12" hight than the other),
leaves can be swept off, Cons, do not really have a way to fasten it
down (brick patio on one side would probably not be able to handle the
anchors), even though you could stand on it it is not meant to
withstand my kids running across it daily. Also, pretty pricey, about
5,000 dollars.

CALL ME CRAZY... I have been brainstorming...

I would like to install or build something that my kids cannot fall
through (priority 1), that rain will simply roll off of, that I can
sweep leaves off of, AND that allows me to utilize the space above the
pool (kids running around on it, me having a cocktail in a lounge
chair in the fall and spring)

There are a few options that I have thought about...

Joists running across with vinyl covered plywood on top... Pros...
sturdy, easy to clean.. Cons, really really heavy, pain in the a$$ to
store in summer. Not sure if local code even allows for this type of
"structure" (probably NOT).

So I continued to brainstorm....

I tought of some sort of lightweight non-corrosive scaffolding like
structure with rubber feet that would stand on the bottom of the pool,
again, with vinyl covered plywood on top. See the joist idea for the
cons of this "brilliant idea".

Finally, I thought.... a DOCK!!! Something that floats on the surface
of the pool. It would have to be somewhat lightweight, and be
available in sections that I could store in the summer and simply
fasten together on top the rest of the year.

Has anyone thought of or tried anything this crazy? OR AM I JUST
INSANE? I'm sure that this would not be against code right? Having
essentially a large wood covered raft flaoting in my pool? I could
still be a pain to store though, but it would be safe, easy to clean
off and a really clever idea. Plus, the rocking of it might be
relaxing.

Tell me I am just crazy, tell me how brilliant I am, or give me some
other options.

Thanks,

Frank

2.
Posted to alt.home.repair
ron ron is offline

a dock is probabley more unsafe than leaving it uncovered. If it isn't tight
to the sides , if one falls in they can't get back out and you would never
see them. If its tight enough than they can't fall in what about crushed
fingers or small crittersl. I doubt you want to encourage people to be on
the dock . I would think it wiser to teach kids not to go near it. I would
go with a fence.

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

The yard is fenced. The current cover will not work for me long term.
I HAVE to do / buy something else. Perhaps I have no choice but to
install a safety cover... but... there is a product called EZ-Deck...
it comes in 5 ft sections, I am certainly able stack these in my yard
for 3 months out of the year... Still waiting for someone give me a
valid reason why this would not work...

BTW does anybody know how much these EZ-Deck sections cost?
Posted to alt.home.repair

I would plan to install these floating sections within an inch or so
of the sides and THEN cover the entire thing with the vinyl cover that
I have now (perhaps even tie the cover down at the perimeter as I do
today), so I cannot see how someone would fall into the pool at all.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

(snipped)
Tell me I am just crazy, tell me how brilliant I am, or give me some
other options.

Thanks,

Frank

..

Had a pool in AZ for 9 years. My suggestion...fill it in and plant a
garden. No way you can make it safe from a curious kid. Was always reading
of drowned kids found under pool covers (Summer and Winter). Way too much
problem with leaves..I swear that a pool is like a big vacuum cleaner (any
leaf within blocks of pool and floating in air is sucked into pool). I
could go on and on but I think you get the idea.

Tom G.