Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hanging Kitchen Cabs -- Underneath or Inside?

Do professional installers generally attach the bottom of wall cabs
from underneath or inside just above the bottom shelf? It probably
doesn't matter either way, but which looks the "cleanest"?

--Jeff
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joseph Meehan" wrote:

I almost always use a board attached to the wall to help support them
and align them when putting them up, but that comes down.

I thought of this after I installed 4 cabinets in my garage this weekend.
Although I used a level and tried very carefuly to maintain a plumb line, I
still ended up with a 1/4" curve over 8 feet.

Then I slapped my head when I came up with the same idea.

--
"Tell me what I should do, Annie."
"Stay. Here. Forever." - Life On Mars
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in
:

I can't tell you about anyone but me.

I "attach" them to the wall from the inside.

I almost always use a board attached to the wall to help support
them
and align them when putting them up, but that comes down.

I have a hard time finding an 8/10 ft board that is straight enough for
this. :-) ...but that's not really funny.

I "attach them to each other from the bottom.

Depending on the application I may use a trim strip under them on
the
wall.

"Jeff B" wrote in message
..
.
Do professional installers generally attach the bottom of wall cabs
from underneath or inside just above the bottom shelf? It probably
doesn't matter either way, but which looks the "cleanest"?

--Jeff

Posted to alt.home.repair

We had our kitchen professionally done. Mounted from the inside. Fastened
a 2x4 on the wall to rest the cabinets on. The workers spent a lot of time
carefully checking to make sure the cabinets were plumb measuring different
directions with a large level. The inserted small shims where necessary and
gradually tightened the screws on the inside of the cabinets that held them
to the wall. This would often take 10 minutes per cabinet. Considering
they do this for a living, it shows the care that must be taken to do it
right.

"Jeff B" wrote in message
Do professional installers generally attach the bottom of wall cabs
from underneath or inside just above the bottom shelf? It probably
doesn't matter either way, but which looks the "cleanest"?

--Jeff

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff B wrote:
Do professional installers generally attach the bottom of wall cabs
from underneath or inside just above the bottom shelf? It probably
doesn't matter either way, but which looks the "cleanest"?

--Jeff

Depends how the cabinet carcass is framed. Some of the cheaper ones only
have 2 rails across the back, one on the bottom edge, and one at the
top, with the back panel being cheap pressboard. For those, I'd put in
the top screws, take down the ledger board, and then screw the bottoms,
shimming as I went. If the face frames were Real Wood, I'd put one into
each adjacent cabinet, sideways through the face frame.

On a real cabinet with a real wood back, I'd put the screws wherever I
could that would show the least.

(Most of my cabinet-hanging was in cheap-ass apartments, so that is
where most of my experience is.)

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jeff B" wrote in message
Do professional installers generally attach the bottom of wall cabs
from underneath or inside just above the bottom shelf? It probably
doesn't matter either way, but which looks the "cleanest"?

--Jeff

Some cabinets are equipped with cleats. This is a one by that is miter cut.
One half is mounted to the wall, the other to the cabinet. The cabinet can
be hung on the cleat, and adjusted until just perfect. Many other ways to
get them up straight. This one makes it easy, as the cabinet hangs there by
gravity, and can be slid sideways, or all can be mounted until perfect, then
the permanent screws shot into the appropriate strip of cleat.

Steve