Electric Motor Speed Control

Old December 3rd 07, 09:26 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electric Motor Speed Control

I have a 1 hp electric motor (110 volt) and I want to be able to control the
speed from slow to fast and in small increments.

What basically do I need?
Or where will I find the answer.
Thanks.

--
Steve
http://jackpot.netwinner.com/?signupCode=vwprheak

Old December 3rd 07, 10:24 PM posted to alt.home.repair

SteveC wrote:
I have a 1 hp electric motor (110 volt) and I want to be able to control the
speed from slow to fast and in small increments.

What basically do I need?
Or where will I find the answer.
Thanks.

A variable speed pulley.
Old December 3rd 07, 10:58 PM posted to alt.home.repair

SteveC wrote:
I have a 1 hp electric motor (110 volt) and I want to be able to control the
speed from slow to fast and in small increments.

What basically do I need?
Or where will I find the answer.
Thanks.

First you should tell us what type of motor you are asking about.

And, what "slow" and "fast" mean in real RPM numbers.

If it's a "universal" motor (One with brushes in it.) you could vary its
speed with a solid state speed controller, a device which is similar to
a solid state lamp dimmer, but may cost a bit more. That'll work, but
the set speed will vary somewhat if the load changes.

If it's an induction motor, about the only way you can manipulate its
speed electrically is with a variable frequency converter. They're not
cheap, and they won't give you an extremely wide range of speeds either.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable-frequency_drive

If its an induction motor I think Speedy Jim's suggestion of using a
variable speed pully system, with perhaps a secondary pair of stepped
pulleys to give you a wider range would be a fine way to go,
particularly if you need to get near full power over a wide range of
near constant speeds.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Old December 3rd 07, 11:52 PM posted to alt.home.repair

You can't change the speed of an AC motor. The speed is governed by the
60 cycle current.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old December 4th 07, 01:16 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
You can't change the speed of an AC motor. The speed is governed by the
60 cycle current.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

While the speed is determined by the frequency , it is easy to change the
speed. Just use an inverter such as:

http://www.emservicenter.com/Yaskawa.cfm

Where I work we have 100's of them. They range from fractional horse power
to over 100 HP motors.

For small motors , it may cost as much or more than the motor.

Old December 4th 07, 01:34 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 3, 7:16 pm, "Ralph Mowery" wrote:
"---MIKE---" wrote in message

You can't change the speed of an AC motor. The speed is governed by the
60 cycle current.

---MIKE---In the White Mountains of New Hampshire

(44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

While the speed is determined by the frequency , it is easy to change the
speed. Just use an inverter such as:

http://www.emservicenter.com/Yaskawa.cfm

Where I work we have 100's of them. They range from fractional horse power
to over 100 HP motors.

For small motors , it may cost as much or more than the motor.

For a table fan I use an x10 controler and do it remotely, I dont know
what type of motor the fan is but X10 might have something, but 1hp
draws alot of current
Old December 4th 07, 04:19 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"---MIKE---" wrote in message

You can't change the speed of an AC motor. The speed is governed by the
60 cycle current.

---MIKE---In the White Mountains of New Hampshire

(44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

While the speed is determined by the frequency , it is easy to change the
speed. Just use an inverter such as:

http://www.emservicenter.com/Yaskawa.cfm

Where I work we have 100's of them. They range from fractional horse power
to over 100 HP motors.

For small motors , it may cost as much or more than the motor.

For a table fan I use an x10 controler and do it remotely, I dont know
what type of motor the fan is but X10 might have something, but 1hp
draws alot of current

Most X10 modules do have limits on motor loads (as well as
incandescent lights), but outlet modules are often rated 15A
unconditional. If you don't want this installed in a wall, you can use
an electrical box with a cord. I'm currently doing that for holiday
lights (I use 4, on 4 different circuits).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"I have found Christian dogma unintelligable. Early
in life I absented myself from Christian assemblies."
-- Benjamin Franklin
Old December 4th 07, 07:10 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"---MIKE---" wrote in message

You can't change the speed of an AC motor. The speed is governed by the
60 cycle current.

---MIKE---In the White Mountains of New Hampshire

(44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

While the speed is determined by the frequency , it is easy to change the
speed. Just use an inverter such as:

http://www.emservicenter.com/Yaskawa.cfm

Where I work we have 100's of them. They range from fractional horse power
to over 100 HP motors.

For small motors , it may cost as much or more than the motor.

A problem with variable frequency drives is they all (as far as I know)
require a 3 phase motor (not likely for the OP's motor).

With a single phase motor one problem with controlling speed is the
start winding will be reconnected at low speeds (most designs).

For a table fan I use an x10 controler and do it remotely, I dont know
what type of motor the fan is but X10 might have something, but 1hp
draws alot of current

Universal/brush-type motor (as Jeff suggests)?

--
bud--