Posted to alt.home.repair

Default GFCI and cictuit braker

my wife had the hair dryer and portable heater turned on in the
bathroom, so the GFCI in my garage reset and the one of the circuit
breaker (for bathroom sockets) popped. Now I can't set the GFCI
neither can I set the circuit breaker. Heater or dryer is not even
plugged in any more and I am not sure if GFCI is blown up or a fuse in
my circuit breaker is blown up. I tried resetting the main circuit
breaker of the house but that didn't help.

Any ideas??

Thanks,
Steve
Posted to alt.home.repair

I did try to turn the tripped circuit breaker off and then ON. but I
won't turned to "on" .
since this is a 10 year old home, do you think GFCI is wore out and I
may need to install a new one. I am not sure how GFCI can cause the
breaker to trip.

On Dec 1, 2:04 pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , wrote:

my wife had the hair dryer and portable heater turned on in the
bathroom, so the GFCI in my garage reset and the one of the circuit
breaker (for bathroom sockets) popped. Now I can't set the GFCI
neither can I set the circuit breaker.

To reset a tripped circuit breaker, you need to turn it off, then on. Simply
trying to turn it on doesn't work.

The GFCI can't be reset until it has power.

Heater or dryer is not even
plugged in any more and I am not sure if GFCI is blown up or a fuse in
my circuit breaker is blown up.

Circuit breakers don't have fuses inside them.

I tried resetting the main circuit
breaker of the house but that didn't help.

Nope, it wouldn't. That's not where the problem is.

Any ideas??

Turn the tripped breaker off. Then turn it on. Then reset the GFCI. If that
doesn't take care of the problem, your best bet is to call an electrician.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

The GFCI didn't cause the breaker to trip, overloading the circuit with the
two heating appliances did. If the breaker won't reset, and there is nothing
attached to the circuit, it could be a bad breaker. The way to test it is to
remove the wire from the breaker, then try resetting it. If it still doesn't
reset, its defective. If it does reset with no wire attached, you have a
short circuit somewhere, which must be located and repaired

,
wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , wrote:

[top posting corrected]
On Dec 1, 2:04 pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
Turn the tripped breaker off. Then turn it on. Then reset the GFCI. If that
doesn't take care of the problem, your best bet is to call an electrician.

I did try to turn the tripped circuit breaker off and then ON. but I
won't turned to "on" .

Then either you have a bad breaker, or a short circuit. Either way, I think
it's time for you to call an electrician.

since this is a 10 year old home, do you think GFCI is wore out and I
may need to install a new one.

No, I don't. Why do you? There is no indication anywhere in your post that
there is any kind of problem with the GFCI. The *breaker* is tripped, and as
I've already pointed out, you *cannot* reset the GFCI without having power to
it -- and until that breaker is reset, there won't be. Why do you think the
problem is with the GFCI? There may be one, but (barring a short inside the
GFCI itself, which is very unlikely) it isn't the *only* problem. It's
necessary to find out why the breaker can't be reset. And to do that, I think
you need to call an electrician.

I am not sure how GFCI can cause the
breaker to trip.

Most likely, it didn't. The trip was caused either by the overload created
with the hair dryer and electric heater, or by whatever fault condition is
preventing you from resetting the breaker. It's possible that fault condition
is inside the GFCI, but unlikely.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 1, 5:58 pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , wrote:

[top posting corrected]

[...]

Since the circuit is dead, why not eliminate the GFCI as a possible
problem by simply removing the wires to line side of it? Cap off the
hot with a wirenut just to be safe and then try resetting the
breaker.

I agree it's highly unlikely that it's the problem, but it seems like
an easy enough task to either prove it is the problem or to eliminate
it from the discussion.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I agree with RBM.

But you may have to push the breaker handle fairly hard to the "off"
position to reset it.

--
bud--

wrote:

[...]

short buzzing sound from circuit braker box when heat pump compressor starts? vic Home Repair 2 June 22nd 06 02:26 PM
GFCI or GFI ? John van Gurp Home Repair 5 April 21st 06 09:34 AM
GFCI Andrew Chalk Home Ownership 38 June 25th 05 04:50 AM
GFCI Andrew Chalk Home Repair 38 June 25th 05 04:50 AM
GFCI outlets vs. GFCI breakers? Alan Beagley Home Repair 10 October 30th 03 06:44 PM