Posted to alt.home.repair

Default I know how to fix a Water Knock in the Cold Water, is it the same for the Hot Water?

I fixed a Water Knock that started about 2 years after we moved into
OUR new home (the house itself was not new.)
Now we get a knock when turning off the HOT water.
Do I fix it the same way - cut off the water, open the lowest drain (
the water hose faucet) then open several fixtures in the house
draining the water in the knock arrester.
I believe that is right - it fixed the knock in the cold water any
way.

But, is it the same for the hot water knock? Or do I need to do
something with the water heater to open it to atmospheric pressure?

Any help would be appreciated so I don't screw up the new water heater
I managed to install without any cussing or screw ups.

Thanks
RC
Posted to alt.home.repair

Yep, fix hot water the same way - drain it and let it refill trapping
air in anti knock pipe.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 26, 11:20�pm, Werz Kit wrote:
I fixed a Water Knock that started about 2 years after we moved into
OUR new home (the house itself was not new.)
Now we get a knock when turning off the HOT water.
Do I fix it the same way - cut off the water, open the lowest drain (
the water hose faucet) then open several fixtures in the house
draining the water in the knock arrester.
I believe that is right - it fixed the knock in the cold water any
way.

But, is it the same for the hot water knock? �Or do I need to do
something with the water heater to open it to atmospheric pressure?

Any help would be appreciated so I don't screw up the new water heater
I managed to install without any cussing or screw ups.

Thanks
RC

first look for loose pipes, try grabbing pipes whil;e someone creates
the trouble. might be easier than you think
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ok, I admit I am a poor DIY, but when you say
"it" do you drain the pipes or drain the hot water heater?

IF you are speaking of the HWH, can't I just drain it below the
emergency relief value and just open that to give the tank
Standard Atmospheric pressure? Well, comment on it please,
but if I have to mess with the tank, that is what I'm going to do.

Hell, I guess I should have just tried what I did with the cold water
first. Then mess with the tank if that doesn't work.

Please comment.

Thanks.
Ron

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 14:24:44 -0800 (PST), Travelover
wrote:

Yep, fix hot water the same way - drain it and let it refill trapping
air in anti knock pipe.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If I have to drain the heater, I'll just drain it below the level of
the Emergency Relief valve. Then open said valve to atmosphere. That
SHOULD work, IF messing with the HWH is the right thing to do.

Ron

On 28 Nov 2007 02:45:39 GMT, Steve wrote:

Travelover wrote on 27 Nov 2007 in group
alt.home.repair:

Yep, fix hot water the same way - drain it and let it refill trapping
air in anti knock pipe.

Turn off the water heater before draining it so it doesn't burn out.

See the many other discussions on this list about how to drain a water
heater. You may be in for more work than you think.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I appreciate the advice but the wall are all closed.
I have to rip sheet rock. Not that I wouldn't do it, but it would be
well behind any easier fix. But thanks for the suggestion.

Ron

first look for loose pipes, try grabbing pipes whil;e someone creates
the trouble. might be easier than you think

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 28 Nov 2007 02:45:39 GMT, Steve wrote:

Travelover wrote on 27 Nov 2007 in group
alt.home.repair:

Yep, fix hot water the same way - drain it and let it refill trapping
air in anti knock pipe.

Turn off the water heater before draining it so it doesn't burn out.

See the many other discussions on this list about how to drain a water
heater. You may be in for more work than you think.

Steve,

Maybe it is a good thing I didn't read about how to drain the heater.
I just put a hose on the drain, ran it through a filter to my pressure
and used the hot water to clean the walk. Then let the rest of the
water run into the lawn. Opened the emergency valve on the tank to
help it drain and all the hot water fixtures in the house. No
Problem.

I was planning on just opening the emergency valve and draining it to
that point, but then I realized that the hot water enter a pipe on the
bottom of the tank, not the top ( or hell I could be completely
wrong), so as I said, I drained the entire tank.

The hardest part was turning off the water to our home.

RC