Window that you can see out but not see in

Old November 22nd 07, 02:32 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Window that you can see out but not see in

I have seen in some hotels that they have windows facing a corridor, hallway
or outside. You can see out but cannot see in. It is more than just
"tinting".

I am looking to replace a few of my windows at home, and I asked for quotes
for non-impact windows and impact windows. I also asked the window
companies if they have windows that can see out but not in, they all said to
me "no not for residential it's only for commercial" and when I asked them
to give me a ball park figure they wouldn't even do that and just said
"trust me, it's VERY expensive".

What is so special about those windows? Is it a special glass? or is it
something you can "apply" onto ordinary glass afterwards? Are we talking
about 10 times more expensive? I have a large picture window inside the
shower facing an interior courtyard, right now I am planning on using
hurricane impact obscured glass window, I thought I ought to consider this
other option but I can't even get a price!

MC

Old November 22nd 07, 02:53 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
[...]

Even though the two types of businesses overlap to an extent, I've found two
totally different categories in the yellow pages phone book: Windows and
Glass. The first tends to be oriented toward residential window replacement,
and the second toward commercial situations. Call some dealers in the second
category. If someone tells you it's too expensive, ask to speak to someone
who's not afraid to quote prices. Get pushy.

Old November 22nd 07, 03:15 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 21, 6:32 pm, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
[...]

In most cases, the "one-way" glass depends on the obscured side to be
darker than the viewers side. It will reverse just by reversing the
lighting. If you want it, you can have it tinted by the same places
that tint auto glass.

Our control room in the jail had the film application method. Worked
great until you turned the lighting up in the control room, then it
was as if there were no film at all.

Harry K
Old November 22nd 07, 03:38 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"Harry K" wrote in message
[...]

So it's a matter of tinting? I thought it's more than that, some sort of
polarized glass? If it's just a matter of tinting I wonder why they
wouldn't even quote me.

Or may be they thought I was talking about this:

http://www.polytronix.com/privacyglass.htm

I was not.

Thanks,

MC

Old November 22nd 07, 11:42 AM posted to alt.home.repair

MiamiCuse wrote:
"Harry K" wrote in message

[...]

Possibly because most is half silvered mirrors? Like a beam splitter.
That would be expensive and it too would depend on differential
lighting inside/outside. It would have to be in a sealed double pane
window as the half silvered surface is quite fragile.

Polarization has nothing to do with it.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Old November 22nd 07, 02:14 PM posted to alt.home.repair
Lee

So it's a matter of tinting? I thought it's more than that, some
sort of
polarized glass? If it's just a matter of tinting I wonder why they
wouldn't even quote me.

Or may be they thought I was talking about this:

http://www.polytronix.com/privacyglass.htm

If you're just looking for privacy, you can also get decorative window
films. They make mirror type ones, patterned like crinkly looking ones,
and decorative stained glass looking ones. For privacy, what about glass
block? That would take care of the privacy and sturdiness factor. I
currently have transparent textured contact paper on my bathroom window,
as a do-it-yourself privacy measure. It lets the light in, but doesn't
let you see through from either direction though.
Old November 22nd 07, 02:27 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"Lee" wrote in message
. ..
So it's a matter of tinting? I thought it's more than that, some sort

of
polarized glass? If it's just a matter of tinting I wonder why they
wouldn't even quote me.

Or may be they thought I was talking about this:

http://www.polytronix.com/privacyglass.htm

If you're just looking for privacy, you can also get decorative window
films. They make mirror type ones, patterned like crinkly looking ones,
and decorative stained glass looking ones. For privacy, what about glass
block? That would take care of the privacy and sturdiness factor. I
currently have transparent textured contact paper on my bathroom window,
as a do-it-yourself privacy measure. It lets the light in, but doesn't let
you see through from either direction though.

Good idea (blocks). And, frosted glass is another option that some builders
already use for bathroom windows. I wonder if a glass dealer could frost the
glass that's already in place. It would be a bitch to find out more, though.
It might involve using a high-tech device called a phone.

Hey...look at this wild idea:
http://www.glass-resource.com/sub/special/privacy.htm

Old November 22nd 07, 04:24 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"Lee" wrote in message
. ..
So it's a matter of tinting? I thought it's more than that, some sort

of
polarized glass? If it's just a matter of tinting I wonder why they
wouldn't even quote me.

Or may be they thought I was talking about this:

http://www.polytronix.com/privacyglass.htm

If you're just looking for privacy, you can also get decorative window
films. They make mirror type ones, patterned like crinkly looking ones,
and decorative stained glass looking ones. For privacy, what about glass
block? That would take care of the privacy and sturdiness factor. I
currently have transparent textured contact paper on my bathroom window,
as a do-it-yourself privacy measure. It lets the light in, but doesn't let
you see through from either direction though.

I have a unique situation.

It is a bathroom window. I would like to be able to open that window from
time to time for ventilation or view purposes.

I personally do not like glass blocks.

Even though it is an exterior window on a concrete block wall, it is
exterior to the inside, meaning it is a house with an interior courtyard
with the house on all four sides, so that window does not look into the yard
or street, it looks into a planter area with hanging orchids, and other
plants, so it's pretty obscured. It also makes it a very nice view.

For that reason I would like to be able to see out even while taking a
shower, if possible.

Glass block or obscured glass do not serve that purpose.

Also, normal obscured glasses in a window for some reason do not appeal to
me, frosted glass look cleaner and better. So I was just looking for
something specific and I think the one way glass would do what I want, if
it's affordable. I saw it in a hotel and my friend told me even with the
room light turned on, you cannot see from outside in and I tried it and he
is right. However, it does seem to not let too much light in, so I think
another poster's opinion about it being a mirror film embedded in between
panes of glasses is correct.

I will make a few calls to see what I find.

Thanks!

MC

Old November 22nd 07, 04:37 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message

"Lee" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

You need to find a creative glass craftsperson. They're out there. Maybe
call an architect's office and ask for recommendations. Some of these places
are buried unobtrusively in industrial parks, instead of having flashy
storefronts and big ads in the yellow pages.

Old November 22nd 07, 04:51 PM posted to alt.home.repair

on 11/22/2007 9:27 AM JoeSpareBedroom said the following:
"Lee" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Contac (the makers of shelf lining film) makes a semi-opaque film that
can be put on a window. The one I have on my ground floor bathroom
window is a diamond pattern. Lets the light in or out, but diffuses it.
http://www.glassdecorandmore.com/cgi...gic&type=store
Martha Stewart also has a line of contact paper.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY