Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT tracking

Today I got an unexpected package. It's an 8x10x2" soft-sided black
bag, with a zipper main compartment, a small velcro side pocket for
pencils, and a latching flap front pocket where the inside of the large
flap say AARP thirty three times in bright white letters on black.

I guess AARP sent it to me because I renewed, which I only did to keep
my supplemental insurance.

I don't see how to look at this except to say that I bought myself a
bag, even though I probably have no use for it.

But what gets me is that it came with tracking! A $10 bag, probably 5
when they buy 40 mililion every five years. Or more like 5 or 6
million a year, since probably people who renew for less than 5 get
different so-called gifts. And for that they pay for tracking!! Do
you think they get a volume discount from the USPS?

The new passport also came with tracking, priority mail, and that I
heartily approve, because I don't want my passport to get lost. There
are a lot of people who look like me who are just dying to use it. Even
though I wasn't in a hurry to need priority mail, tracking can't be used
with plain first class. Plus it's one part of the federal govt.
buying from another so it's like it's all one pocket, even though it's
not like that.

The return address on the passport was S. Carolina, but the tracking
shows Tuczon. It took 15 minutes shy of 48 hours to get to its next
recorded stop (and afaik they record every stop), the main post office
in Baltimore. Somehow that seems very fast for by truck, but slow if by
plane. So how does that happen?
Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote:
Today I got an unexpected package. It's an 8x10x2" soft-sided black
bag, with a zipper main compartment, a small velcro side pocket for
pencils, and a latching flap front pocket where the inside of the
large flap say AARP thirty three times in bright white letters on
black.

el snipperoony

The return address on the passport was S. Carolina, but the tracking
shows Tuczon. It took 15 minutes shy of 48 hours to get to its next
recorded stop (and afaik they record every stop), the main post office
in Baltimore. Somehow that seems very fast for by truck, but slow if
by plane. So how does that happen?

I made it from Memphis Tn to Brigham City Utah in 29 hours once ... with a
colicy 6 mo old baby (he's almost 39 now ...) and a ****ed off wife .
Seriously , they use team drivers for the long hauls that are time-critical
.. That lets them drive like 20 hours a day , so under 48 is not that unusual
..
--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, December 10, 2016 at 6:45:16 PM UTC-5, micky wrote:
Today I got an unexpected package. It's an 8x10x2" soft-sided black
bag, with a zipper main compartment, a small velcro side pocket for
pencils, and a latching flap front pocket where the inside of the large
flap say AARP thirty three times in bright white letters on black.

I guess AARP sent it to me because I renewed, which I only did to keep
my supplemental insurance.

I don't see how to look at this except to say that I bought myself a
bag, even though I probably have no use for it.

But what gets me is that it came with tracking! A $10 bag, probably 5
when they buy 40 mililion every five years. Or more like 5 or 6
million a year, since probably people who renew for less than 5 get
different so-called gifts. And for that they pay for tracking!! Do
you think they get a volume discount from the USPS?

According to this site, USPS trackng is included with every shipment except
for First Class *letters*.

http://faq.usps.com/?articleId=220900

What is USPS Tracking®?
USPS Tracking® is the only USPS mechanism that provides end-to-end item
tracking and is automatically included with all USPS domestic shipping
products €“ except commercial Standard Mail parcels. For Standard Mail
parcels, the tracking feature can be added as an Extra Service, for an
additional fee. USPS Tracking® does not expedite or guarantee delivery..

The new passport also came with tracking, priority mail, and that I
heartily approve, because I don't want my passport to get lost. There
are a lot of people who look like me who are just dying to use it. Even
though I wasn't in a hurry to need priority mail, tracking can't be used
with plain first class. Plus it's one part of the federal govt.
buying from another so it's like it's all one pocket, even though it's
not like that.

See above.

The return address on the passport was S. Carolina, but the tracking
shows Tuczon. It took 15 minutes shy of 48 hours to get to its next
recorded stop (and afaik they record every stop), the main post office
in Baltimore. Somehow that seems very fast for by truck, but slow if by
plane. So how does that happen?

Most mapping sites show 1 Day 9 Hours from Tucson to Baltimore. Easily
done by multiple drivers.

As far as recording every stop, that would depend on what you call a "stop"..
Unless the mail is actually handled, i.e. taken off of the vehicle and
scanned, it won't show up a recorded stop. If the truck pulls into a USPS depot
or other transfer point just to change drivers, that's not a trackable stop..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/10/16 5:45 PM, micky wrote:

Some cut.

But what gets me is that it came with tracking! A $10 bag, probably 5
when they buy 40 mililion every five years. Or more like 5 or 6
million a year, since probably people who renew for less than 5 get
different so-called gifts. And for that they pay for tracking!! Do
you think they get a volume discount from the USPS?

Well. Some of the guys here probably worked on computers that
cost a million bucks. One can probably buy one at Walmart now for a couple
hundred that run circles around the old stuff. There's a show on the
Science channel
called How It's Made. Here on Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+it%27s+made
Machines everywhere, doing things too fast to see.

The return address on the passport was S. Carolina, but the tracking
shows Tuczon. It took 15 minutes shy of 48 hours to get to its next
recorded stop (and afaik they record every stop), the main post office
in Baltimore. Somehow that seems very fast for by truck, but slow if by
plane. So how does that happen?

Relay drivers?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 10 Dec 2016 18:07:29 -0600, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

micky wrote:
Today I got an unexpected package. It's an 8x10x2" soft-sided black
bag, with a zipper main compartment, a small velcro side pocket for
pencils, and a latching flap front pocket where the inside of the
large flap say AARP thirty three times in bright white letters on
black.

el snipperoony

The return address on the passport was S. Carolina, but the tracking
shows Tuczon. It took 15 minutes shy of 48 hours to get to its next
recorded stop (and afaik they record every stop), the main post office
in Baltimore. Somehow that seems very fast for by truck, but slow if
by plane. So how does that happen?

I made it from Memphis Tn to Brigham City Utah in 29 hours once ... with a
colicy 6 mo old baby

It didn't include a baby.

At least I didn't see one.

(he's almost 39 now ...) and a ****ed off wife .
Seriously , they use team drivers for the long hauls that are time-critical
. That lets them drive like 20 hours a day , so under 48 is not that unusual

Okay, i'll go with that. Thanks and thanks all. .

Posted to alt.home.repair
AL AL is offline

On 12/10/2016 4:45 PM, micky wrote:

But what gets me is that it came with tracking! A $10 bag... And for
that they pay for tracking!! Do you think they get a volume
discount from the USPS?

The USPS gives tracking labels out for free. Just ask. They come with a
detachable tracking number and a tracking sticker to attach to the
package. Course it only saves time if you already have the proper
postage affixed and have a package bin drop nearby.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In micky writes:

But what gets me is that it came with tracking! A $10 bag, probably 5
when they buy 40 mililion every five years. Or more like 5 or 6
million a year, since probably people who renew for less than 5 get
different so-called gifts. And for that they pay for tracking!! Do
you think they get a volume discount from the USPS?

As of a couple of rate "adjustments" (read that as massive increases)
in USPS rates ago, all "packages" (what used to be "parcel
post"), not just the Priority Mail ones, include tracking
at no additional expense.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

You don't have to pay extra for tracking. Basically all packages I think
are tracked at USPS now. I've sent packages first class mail and priority
mail, both are tracked. And while priority mail sounds expensive, it's
basically what you use now for packages over 1 lb. If it's under, then
first class is cheaper, but priority is 1 to 3 day delivery and seems
to be the only shipping otpion other than 1st class, from my experience.
Posted to alt.home.repair
AL AL is offline

On 12/10/2016 7:33 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I just hang them from my mailbox and the carrier picks them up.

Not wise in the big city. It might not last until the carrier gets there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, December 10, 2016 at 9:59:26 PM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

Actually, First Class is for up to 13 oz, not 1 lb.

But yes, everything except for First Class letters either comes with free
tracking or it can be added for free.

The main USPS shipping options a

Priority Mail Express (Basically the USPS version of overnight shipping)
Priority Mail (Flat Rate packaging and "weigh your own box"
First Class (for up to 13 oz)
USPS Retail Ground (formerly Standard Post)
Media Mail - Tip: Media Mail can be opened by the USPS. "Regardless of
physical closure, the mailing of articles at Media Mail or Library Mail
prices constitutes consent by the mailer to postal inspection of the
contents."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, December 10, 2016 at 10:22:54 PM UTC-5, AL wrote:
On 12/10/2016 7:33 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I just hang them from my mailbox and the carrier picks them up.

Not wise in the big city. It might not last until the carrier gets there.

Which is one of the many reasons I moved out of the big city almost
40 years ago.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 10 Dec 2016 19:28:12 -0800 (PST)
DerbyDad03

wrote:

Priority Mail Express (Basically the USPS version of overnight
shipping)

Which will not get there over night...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 10 Dec 2016 18:59:22 -0800 (PST)
trader_4 wrote:

Basically all packages I think

Well that must make it so.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, December 10, 2016 at 10:28:16 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Used to be 13, now it's under 1 lb.

But yes, everything except for First Class letters either comes with free
tracking or it can be added for free.

The main USPS shipping options a

Priority Mail Express (Basically the USPS version of overnight shipping)
Priority Mail (Flat Rate packaging and "weigh your own box"
First Class (for up to 13 oz)
USPS Retail Ground (formerly Standard Post)
Media Mail - Tip: Media Mail can be opened by the USPS. "Regardless of
physical closure, the mailing of articles at Media Mail or Library Mail
prices constitutes consent by the mailer to postal inspection of the
contents."

I have no clue WTF USPS Retail Ground is. When I looked at the rate for
that compared to priority mail for a couple things, it was basically
either the same rate or almost the same rate. Also, I don't think
Ebay for example even offers retail ground as an option.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 11 Dec 2016 06:02:16 -0800 (PST)
trader_4 wrote:

Actually, First Class is for up to 13 oz, not 1 lb.

Used to be 13, now it's under 1 lb.

Results
What is First-Class Mail®?
First-Class Mail® is the least expensive, most immediate option for mailing postcards, letters, and large envelopes 13 ounces or less. First-Class mail over 13 ounces is called Priority Mail®. Prices are based on shape, weight,
7/16/2015

http://faq.usps.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 wrote:

Actually, First Class is for up to 13 oz, not 1 lb.

Used to be 13, now it's under 1 lb.

Results
What is First-Class Mail®?
First-Class Mail® is the least expensive, most immediate option for mailing postcards, letters, and large envelopes 13 ounces or less. First-Class mail over 13 ounces is called Priority Mail®. Prices are based on shape, weight,
7/16/2015

http://faq.usps.com/

Sorry buttercup. You relied on that govt agency, USPS, and they are dumb
as bricks. They did raise the weight limit from 13 oz to under 16 oz for
first class mail. That happened almost a year ago, but the USPS website
apparently doesn't reflect it. Like you found, they say 13 oz. I also
tried using the shipping calculator there, and it won't allow first class
for anything over 13 oz. However, if you do some googling, you will see
I'm correct. Try the Ebay shipping calculator, it takes 15.99 and that
is what I have used to ship stuff over 13 oz with no problems.
Also Stamps.com:

http://www.stamps.com/usps/first-class-mail/

Ebay discussion of the changes last January:

http://community.ebay.com/t5/eBay-fo.../ba-p/26163626

Shipstation:

https://help.shipstation.com/hc/en-u...st-Class-Mail-

Apparently the only ones that don't know it are the incompetents running the
USPS website. ROFL. But are you surprised?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jesus! Is this a thesis or something???

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, December 11, 2016 at 9:02:20 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

The definition of USPS Retail Ground can be found here, although since it
still says 13 oz for first class, who knows what else is wrong.

https://www.usps.com/ship/mail-shipping-services.htm
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 11 Dec 2016 07:30:28 -0800 (PST)

From: trader_4

LOL we forgot you put food on the table via Ebay...
Press on....LOL