Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Slug Infestation Problem!

I have a 1/2 a bathroom in my garage. Occasionally I'll find a slug on
the toilet seat. Many times over the years I've found 2 or more of them
on the toilet! This doesn't occur very frequently, maybe 4 - 6 times a
year, but sometimes more. Usually I'll go for months without seeing one.
Since I never see any slugs on the floor, or anywhere except for the
toilet, I'm guessing that they're coming up through the sewer pipes. Does
that sound reasonable? Also, what could I do to prevent them? Slug
traps? Kidding! Actually I tried pouring some bleach in the toilet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 20, 11:17 pm, somebody wrote:
I have a 1/2 a bathroom in my garage. Occasionally I'll find a slug on
the toilet seat. Many times over the years I've found 2 or more of them
on the toilet! This doesn't occur very frequently, maybe 4 - 6 times a
year, but sometimes more. Usually I'll go for months without seeing one.
Since I never see any slugs on the floor, or anywhere except for the
toilet, I'm guessing that they're coming up through the sewer pipes. Does
that sound reasonable? Also, what could I do to prevent them? Slug
traps? Kidding! Actually I tried pouring some bleach in the toilet.

Well, I wouldn't call your limited number of sightings an
"infestation", but I wouldn't want *any* slugs on my toilet seat
either!

Pour salt on 'em...watch 'em melt.

Slug traps isn't that far fetched an idea - beer traps are the most
common types of traps used.

Look he

http://www.cat.org.uk/ihateslugs/bug...tpubs &key=TR
Posted to alt.home.repair

somebody wrote:

I have a 1/2 a bathroom in my garage. Occasionally I'll find a slug on
the toilet seat. Many times over the years I've found 2 or more of them
on the toilet! This doesn't occur very frequently, maybe 4 - 6 times a
year, but sometimes more. Usually I'll go for months without seeing one.
Since I never see any slugs on the floor, or anywhere except for the
toilet, I'm guessing that they're coming up through the sewer pipes. Does
that sound reasonable? Also, what could I do to prevent them? Slug
traps? Kidding! Actually I tried pouring some bleach in the toilet.

If there is vegetation up against that part of the garage, it might help
to trim it away. Slugs/snails like cool and damp. Wrapping foil around
stems of plants used to be a tip for keeping them off plants. I've
never found them to be a pest, so haven't tried to eradicate any. They
leave slime trails, so you might be able to see where they come in -
slime trails aren't real obvious, but just shine a little bit in the
right light. Here are some links:

http://www.saferbrand.com/articles/snailsslugs.asp
http://greenchronicle.co.uk/acatalog...nail_Trap.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 23:15:04 -0600, Lar wrote:

If the toilet is not
sitting flush on the garage floor getting an insecticide under the
toilet may help.

Lar

Good one!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 23:17:17 -0500, somebody wrote:

I have a 1/2 a bathroom in my garage. Occasionally I'll find a slug on
the toilet seat. Many times over the years I've found 2 or more of them
on the toilet! This doesn't occur very frequently, maybe 4 - 6 times a
year, but sometimes more. Usually I'll go for months without seeing one.
Since I never see any slugs on the floor, or anywhere except for the
toilet, I'm guessing that they're coming up through the sewer pipes. Does
that sound reasonable? Also, what could I do to prevent them? Slug
traps? Kidding! Actually I tried pouring some bleach in the toilet.

Sounds like a moisture problem. Fix that and you won't have slugs.
Also caulk around all the fixtures, pipes, and floor-to-wall cracks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 23:17:17 -0500, somebody wrote:

I have a 1/2 a bathroom in my garage. Occasionally I'll find a slug on
the toilet seat. Many times over the years I've found 2 or more of them
on the toilet! This doesn't occur very frequently, maybe 4 - 6 times a
year, but sometimes more. Usually I'll go for months without seeing one.
Since I never see any slugs on the floor, or anywhere except for the
toilet, I'm guessing that they're coming up through the sewer pipes.
Does that sound reasonable? Also, what could I do to prevent them?
Slug traps? Kidding! Actually I tried pouring some bleach in the
toilet.

Clean up vegetation and organic materials around foundation. Sprinkle
diatomaceous earth around foundation to discourage slugs. This can be
found in most gardening centers. Caulk or foam cracks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
[...]

What a horrible waste of a precious commodity!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 11:42:39 +0000, franz frippl wrote:

Clean up vegetation and organic materials around foundation. Sprinkle
diatomaceous earth around foundation to discourage slugs. This can be
found in most gardening centers. Caulk or foam cracks.

Yes, after reading some of these posts, I'm thinking that the slugs are
accessing the house via spaces between the floor tile and the base of the
toilet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 23:15:04 -0600, Lar wrote:

They wouldn't be coming from inside the toilet. My guess would be just
coming in from outdoors and finding themselves in the most humid/moist
part of the garage which happens to be where the plumbing is located. If
by chance it is an attached garage to a home with a crawl space and the
toilet is next to the common wall of the home, they could be originating
from under the house itself. Preventing them would be locating the
source and addressing the moisture if possible. If the toilet is not
sitting flush on the garage floor getting an insecticide under the
toilet may help.

Lar

Yes, I believe you are right, and the slugs are coming in via spaces
between the floor tile and the base of the toilet. Is there any way
to get insecticide in small cracks? Maybe with a syringe?

-Thanks

Junior Member

Just pour some salt on them. . By the way, I came across this pretty inspiring article. Just thought of sharing it with you. https://www.crunchbase.com/person/david-selakovic