White powdery substance on basement walls - a problem?

Old November 20th 07, 04:31 PM posted to alt.home.repair
Joe

Default White powdery substance on basement walls - a problem?

Is this normal or is it a sign that I need to do something. I bought
the house last year and the house inspector didn't mention it as a
problem but now I read online ads from waterproofing companies that
it's a sign that moisture is seeping through my foundation. I'm going
to have a contractor come in to look at it this weekend but I
understand that there are a lot of scare tactics employed by these
folks to get people to overspend on waterproofing so I'd appreciate
some education on what's normal and what is a problem.

Old November 20th 07, 05:42 PM posted to alt.home.repair

It's one of the ingredients in concrete-- calcium carbonate or
something like that.

If your walls aren't wet I don't see it as a problem. I find this
powdery substance on my walls and floor too sometimes but my basement
isn't too damp.

Shaun Eli
www.BrainChampagne.com
Brain Champagne: Clever Comedy for Smart Minds (sm)
Old November 20th 07, 05:48 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe" wrote in message

Is this normal or is it a sign that I need to do something? . . .
I read online ads from waterproofing companies that
it's a sign that moisture is seeping through my foundation. I'm going
to have a contractor come in to look at it this weekend but I
understand that there are a lot of scare tactics employed by these

Before the contractor arrives, test for damp. This is done
by taping 8x11-inch sheets of plastic to various spots on
the wall, and seeing how many days it takes before
drops of moisture appear between plastic and wall.

Dry efflorescence from masonry is hardly ever structurally
important -- usually just a nuisance (an extra source of
dust.) If you do not like to see it, think about having the
basement drywalled. Your contractor can estimate costs.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Old November 20th 07, 09:40 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe" wrote

to have a contractor come in to look at it this weekend but I
understand that there are a lot of scare tactics employed by these
folks to get people to overspend on waterproofing so I'd appreciate
some education on what's normal and what is a problem.

Yes, wise to check. Tape some plastic over the affected spots and see if it
gets really wet. If so, you have some seepage.

This is normal so dont panic unless it's right on a wood support member.
Chances are, the most you need is some basement grade water sealing paint
product.

If the one fellow tells you that you have a major problem, get *multiple*
estimates because uness you have alot of crumbling mortor (would be obvious
to the eye that it's falling out), you probably just have a little damp.

Old November 21st 07, 05:23 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Make sure water drains well around the outside of your house. Wait for a
dry spell, then wire brush basement walls and apply a sealing plaster, I
used a wallpaper paste brush. This will reduce basement moisture and is
something you should do before ever finishing a basement.