Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gasoline Spill/Smell inside of car

I was taking my gasoline container to the gas station in my car to get
it refilled for the lawn mower and it tipped over and spilled into my
backseat. I cleaned it up with soap and water, but it still wreaks of
gasoline in my car.

Does anyone know of a faster way to get rid of this smell? Air
freshener doesn't help at all, it's more like a temporary remedy. Any
help would be much appreciated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Turtle wax makes an odor remover spray. check auto parts store. otherwise if
you have turtlewax detailing center near you for $30 you can have it pro
cleaned

or roll the windows down and park it in the hot sun for a day or too

wrote in message
ups.com...
I was taking my gasoline container to the gas station in my car to get
it refilled for the lawn mower and it tipped over and spilled into my
backseat. I cleaned it up with soap and water, but it still wreaks of
gasoline in my car.

Does anyone know of a faster way to get rid of this smell? Air
freshener doesn't help at all, it's more like a temporary remedy. Any
help would be much appreciated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 13:47:58 -0500, Meat Plow
wrote:

On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 10:11:40 -0800, chadoww wrote:

I was taking my gasoline container to the gas station in my car to get
it refilled for the lawn mower and it tipped over and spilled into my
backseat. I cleaned it up with soap and water, but it still wreaks of
gasoline in my car.

Does anyone know of a faster way to get rid of this smell? Air
freshener doesn't help at all, it's more like a temporary remedy. Any
help would be much appreciated.

Have it professionally cleaned.

A portable auto detailer - the come to you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 12, 3:21 pm, Tom Lachance wrote:
wrote:
I was taking my gasoline container to the gas station in my car to get
it refilled for the lawn mower and it tipped over and spilled into my
backseat. I cleaned it up with soap and water, but it still wreaks of
gasoline in my car.

Does anyone know of a faster way to get rid of this smell? Air
freshener doesn't help at all, it's more like a temporary remedy. Any
help would be much appreciated.

Saw an odor eliminator at Home Depot. Comes in a can about the size of a
can of car wax. When I had a fire in my house a couple of years ago,
Servepro gave me a similar product. Open the can and leave it in the
car. It should absorb the odor.

The problem is likely not with the back seat. Getting it
professionally cleaned won't solve it. The gasoline likely went
through the seat as in under it, under any carpet etc. Think like a
liquid and figure out where it might flow. You probably will need to
remove the back seat to get to it, which isn't that big of a deal. Or
wait a long time...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
I was taking my gasoline container to the gas station in my car to get
it refilled for the lawn mower and it tipped over and spilled into my
backseat. I cleaned it up with soap and water, but it still wreaks of
gasoline in my car.

Does anyone know of a faster way to get rid of this smell? Air
freshener doesn't help at all, it's more like a temporary remedy. Any
help would be much appreciated.

he

It's likely that a residue of the gasoline is in the seat foam and the
carpet. Remove the seat and the carpet and turn them upside down so that
the most permeable side of both is facing up and lay them in the sun to
allow UV light to strime them. I'm not sure if having them in a very warm
tent made of plastic with a bit of ventilation provided by openings at the
bottom and at the top. The heat may help to volatize the source of the
odor. It's a crap shoot at best, though. That stuff is reeealy tenacious.
Best of luck to you. Why not post back if you find something that works
longer than a week or two.