Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wire Mesh Safety Grill For Halogen Bulb Torchiere Floor Lamp ?

Hello,

Have really been beating the bushes for this, with no luck.
Tried most of the web lamp repair sites, etc.

Looking to replace the wire mesh safety grill that sits on top
on one of those Torchiere halogen (linear) bulb floor pole lamps.

Thanks,
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert11" wrote in message
. ..
Hello,

Have really been beating the bushes for this, with no luck.
Tried most of the web lamp repair sites, etc.

Looking to replace the wire mesh safety grill that sits on top
on one of those Torchiere halogen (linear) bulb floor pole lamps.

Suggestions for what? What to use? Where to buy? How to make?

Take a piece of it to an industrial supply house or look at mesh screens and
expanded metal at www.mcmaster.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi,

Sorry I wasn't too clear.

Looking for a place to purchase.

Bob

-----------------------
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

. ..

and expanded metal at www.mcmaster.com

expanded metal at www.mcmaster.com

Does anybody even MAKE a high quality halogen floor lamp any more? All I
see in the stores any more are 20 buck POS's, definitely not worth
spending a lot of time chasing parts for.

That grille on the top only came about due to fires caused by kids or
clueless people letting combustibles land on top of the lamp. Used
carefully, it is fine to go without it. The things do get awful warm for
household use- I never leave them running if I am not in the room, and
usually end up replacing the second hazardous part, the dimmer switch,
with a simple on-off rotary. (I had a couple get hot enough to startle
me when I grabbed the pole at switch level.) Never used them on dimmer
anyway- that buzzing was so annoying. IMHO, I would never have that
style of lamp in a house with kids or elderly folks. Things that can
start fires need to be idiot-proof.

As to where to get replacement parts? Drive through any apartment
project on the first couple of days of the month, right after moving
day. There are usually 2 or 3 standing beside the dumpsters. That is
where all mine cam from, when I lived there before buying this house.

aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

expanded metal atwww.mcmaster.com

[...]

aem sends...- Hide quoted text -

Don't you just love the puff of smoke and the burnt object smell that
occurs when a fly or moth lands on top of one of those lamps?

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Nov 11, 6:56 pm, aemeijers wrote:
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Robert11" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Chuckle. Don't even need that- a few months of household dust will do. I
fired up one tonight in the spare room, usually used for storage, but
pressed into service for testing some junk computers I am tired of
tripping over. Haven't been in there after dark since Feb or so. PU!

aem sends....

Halogen Lamp Bulb Question Robert11 Home Repair 4 October 21st 07 05:20 AM
Copper or brass wire mesh N Cook Electronics Repair 14 August 1st 07 08:23 PM
Supplier of wire mesh? NoSpam UK diy 6 January 15th 07 02:07 PM
Do I need to redo the wire mesh or rebar? miamicuse Home Repair 9 September 3rd 05 04:13 PM
why put wire mesh in mud shower pan? peter Home Repair 4 February 13th 05 06:17 AM