Burning particle board

Old November 7th 07, 10:28 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Burning particle board

SteveB wrote:
I think I know the answer, but I'll ask anyway.

We have lumber scraps left over from construction. Some are pine odd
lengths, some treated pine, and a bunch of particle board.

I know NOT to burn treated lumber.

I THINK that untreated regular pine will burn fine in our backyard
fire pit.
What about particle board? I know it has glues in it, and think it
probably should go to the landfill, but thought I'd ask youse guys.

It's not allowed to be burned in WA State. Check with your local air quality
folks.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Old November 7th 07, 10:48 PM posted to alt.home.repair

According to Cshenk :

"SteveB" wrote

We have lumber scraps left over from construction. Some are pine odd
lengths, some treated pine, and a bunch of particle board.

I know NOT to burn treated lumber.

I've never done it as I've always heard that. I presume the fumes or
something?

CCA lumber, when burned, generates various arsenic compounds in the
air. Including Arsine which is hideously toxic.

I THINK that untreated regular pine will burn fine in our backyard fire
pit.

Yes, as long as you arent dealing with a chimney flue and cresote then it's
ok. Sparks alot though.

What about particle board? I know it has glues in it, and think it
probably should go to the landfill, but thought I'd ask youse guys.

If I didnt know what was in it, I'd be hesitant.

The glues will outgas various things, many of them not altogether
good for you. Amounts will vary depending on fire temperature etc.

Should not be burned.
--
Chris Lewis,

Old November 7th 07, 11:47 PM posted to alt.home.repair

SteveB writes:

What about particle board? I know it has glues in it, and think it
probably should go to the landfill, but thought I'd ask youse guys.

Exterior grade products are typically glued with phenol-formaldehyde
resins, meaning that combustion products involve some really nasty
chemicals.
Old November 8th 07, 12:12 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Richard J Kinch wrote:
SteveB writes:

What about particle board? I know it has glues in it, and think it
probably should go to the landfill, but thought I'd ask youse guys.

Exterior grade products are typically glued with phenol-formaldehyde
resins, meaning that combustion products involve some really nasty
chemicals.

Probably no worse chemicals than the wood itself. I'd burn it.
Old November 8th 07, 01:31 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"Frank" frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote in message
. ..
Richard J Kinch wrote:
SteveB writes:

What about particle board? I know it has glues in it, and think it
probably should go to the landfill, but thought I'd ask youse guys.

Exterior grade products are typically glued with phenol-formaldehyde
resins, meaning that combustion products involve some really nasty
chemicals.

Probably no worse chemicals than the wood itself. I'd burn it.

Two words I hate: probably and should.

Steve

Old November 8th 07, 01:47 AM posted to alt.home.repair

SteveB wrote:
"observer" wrote in message
Frank wrote:
Richard J Kinch wrote:
SteveB writes:

What about particle board? I know it has glues in it, and think it
probably should go to the landfill, but thought I'd ask youse guys.
Exterior grade products are typically glued with phenol-formaldehyde
resins, meaning that combustion products involve some really nasty
chemicals.
Probably no worse chemicals than the wood itself. I'd burn it.

Breath deep when you do burn some Frank, enjoy the outdoor fire.

Yeah, Frank. As we said in the sixties, "Take a BIG hit!"

Steve

You asked. Personally, I don't care if you take a running leap at the
particle board.

Frank

Old November 8th 07, 01:58 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Richard J Kinch wrote:
SteveB writes:

What about particle board? I know it has glues in it, and think it
probably should go to the landfill, but thought I'd ask youse guys.

Exterior grade products are typically glued with phenol-formaldehyde resins,
meaning that combustion products involve some really nasty chemicals.

Probably no worse chemicals than the wood itself. I'd burn it.

Here's a guy without a clue.

Bob

Particle Board Woes Bill Woodworking 18 October 22nd 07 12:40 AM
Old particle board subfloor [email protected] Home Repair 13 June 14th 07 01:01 AM
Particle Board Painting Tanus Woodworking 7 August 29th 06 10:01 AM
hardwood over particle board steven Home Repair 3 July 4th 06 06:34 PM
How to fix broken particle board. toller Woodworking 4 June 30th 04 11:22 PM