Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Burning particle board

SteveB wrote:
I think I know the answer, but I'll ask anyway.

We have lumber scraps left over from construction. Some are pine odd
lengths, some treated pine, and a bunch of particle board.

I know NOT to burn treated lumber.

I THINK that untreated regular pine will burn fine in our backyard
fire pit.
What about particle board? I know it has glues in it, and think it
probably should go to the landfill, but thought I'd ask youse guys.

It's not allowed to be burned in WA State. Check with your local air quality
folks.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

According to Cshenk :

"SteveB" wrote

We have lumber scraps left over from construction. Some are pine odd
lengths, some treated pine, and a bunch of particle board.

I know NOT to burn treated lumber.

I've never done it as I've always heard that. I presume the fumes or
something?

CCA lumber, when burned, generates various arsenic compounds in the
air. Including Arsine which is hideously toxic.

I THINK that untreated regular pine will burn fine in our backyard fire
pit.

Yes, as long as you arent dealing with a chimney flue and cresote then it's
ok. Sparks alot though.

What about particle board? I know it has glues in it, and think it
probably should go to the landfill, but thought I'd ask youse guys.

If I didnt know what was in it, I'd be hesitant.

The glues will outgas various things, many of them not altogether
good for you. Amounts will vary depending on fire temperature etc.

Should not be burned.
--
Chris Lewis,

Posted to alt.home.repair

SteveB writes:

What about particle board? I know it has glues in it, and think it
probably should go to the landfill, but thought I'd ask youse guys.

Exterior grade products are typically glued with phenol-formaldehyde
resins, meaning that combustion products involve some really nasty
chemicals.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Richard J Kinch wrote:
SteveB writes:

What about particle board? I know it has glues in it, and think it
probably should go to the landfill, but thought I'd ask youse guys.

Exterior grade products are typically glued with phenol-formaldehyde
resins, meaning that combustion products involve some really nasty
chemicals.

Probably no worse chemicals than the wood itself. I'd burn it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Frank" frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote in message
. ..
Richard J Kinch wrote:
SteveB writes:

What about particle board? I know it has glues in it, and think it
probably should go to the landfill, but thought I'd ask youse guys.

Exterior grade products are typically glued with phenol-formaldehyde
resins, meaning that combustion products involve some really nasty
chemicals.

Probably no worse chemicals than the wood itself. I'd burn it.

Two words I hate: probably and should.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

SteveB wrote:
"observer" wrote in message
Frank wrote:
Richard J Kinch wrote:
SteveB writes:

What about particle board? I know it has glues in it, and think it
probably should go to the landfill, but thought I'd ask youse guys.
Exterior grade products are typically glued with phenol-formaldehyde
resins, meaning that combustion products involve some really nasty
chemicals.
Probably no worse chemicals than the wood itself. I'd burn it.

Breath deep when you do burn some Frank, enjoy the outdoor fire.

Yeah, Frank. As we said in the sixties, "Take a BIG hit!"

Steve

You asked. Personally, I don't care if you take a running leap at the
particle board.

Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

Richard J Kinch wrote:
SteveB writes:

What about particle board? I know it has glues in it, and think it
probably should go to the landfill, but thought I'd ask youse guys.

Exterior grade products are typically glued with phenol-formaldehyde resins,
meaning that combustion products involve some really nasty chemicals.

Probably no worse chemicals than the wood itself. I'd burn it.

Here's a guy without a clue.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveB" wrote in message

I THINK that untreated regular pine will burn fine in our backyard fire
pit.

What about particle board? I know it has glues in it, and think it
probably should go to the landfill, but thought I'd ask youse guys.

Burning the pine is OK, just don't cook over it as the food won't taste very
good

Do NOT burn the particleboard though.. It has potential nasty stuff in it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ive burned it in my wood furnace and outdoors in my burn barrel. Of
course I dont make a point of standing in the smoke like I would a
campfire.

On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 19:12:32 -0500, Frank

Richard J Kinch wrote:
SteveB writes:

What about particle board? I know it has glues in it, and think it
probably should go to the landfill, but thought I'd ask youse guys.

Exterior grade products are typically glued with phenol-formaldehyde
resins, meaning that combustion products involve some really nasty
chemicals.

Probably no worse chemicals than the wood itself. I'd burn it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

SteveB wrote:
"observer" wrote in message
Frank wrote:
Richard J Kinch wrote:
SteveB writes:

What about particle board? I know it has glues in it, and think it
probably should go to the landfill, but thought I'd ask youse guys.
Exterior grade products are typically glued with phenol-formaldehyde
resins, meaning that combustion products involve some really nasty
chemicals.
Probably no worse chemicals than the wood itself. I'd burn it.
Breath deep when you do burn some Frank, enjoy the outdoor fire.

Yeah, Frank. As we said in the sixties, "Take a BIG hit!"

Steve

You asked. Personally, I don't care if you take a running leap at the
particle board.

Frank

Your attitude is obvious, Frank.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Richard J Kinch wrote:
SteveB writes:

What about particle board? I know it has glues in it, and think it
probably should go to the landfill, but thought I'd ask youse guys.
Exterior grade products are typically glued with phenol-formaldehyde resins,
meaning that combustion products involve some really nasty chemicals.

Probably no worse chemicals than the wood itself. I'd burn it.

Here's a guy without a clue.

Bob

Not clueless. I'm a retired chemist. If wood is typically bound with
phenol resins, there is no harm in burning and combustion products are
no worse than burning pure wood. If it contains preservatives such as
arsenicals or chlorinated compounds or flame retardants of a similar
nature, it is best land filled.

OP and some respondents are not addressing issue.

Frank
Posted to alt.home.repair

Richard J Kinch wrote:
SteveB writes:

What about particle board? I know it has glues in it, and think it
probably should go to the landfill, but thought I'd ask youse guys.
Exterior grade products are typically glued with phenol-formaldehyde resins,
meaning that combustion products involve some really nasty chemicals.
Probably no worse chemicals than the wood itself. I'd burn it.

Here's a guy without a clue.

Bob

Not clueless. I'm a retired chemist. If wood is typically bound with
phenol resins, there is no harm in burning and combustion products are
no worse than burning pure wood. If it contains preservatives such as
arsenicals or chlorinated compounds or flame retardants of a similar
nature, it is best land filled.

OP and some respondents are not addressing issue.

Frank- Hide quoted text -

So you see no problem with the _amount_ of binder? There isn't much
in natural wood, there is a whole lot in chipboard or any other
"manufactured" sheet goods.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Richard J Kinch wrote:
SteveB writes:
[...]

I don't think that's at all what Frank said or intended -- the point is
what the chemistry is and what are the _actual_ combustion byproducts
produced rather than simply knee-jerk reaction of "bad".

Posted to alt.home.repair

Richard J Kinch wrote:
SteveB writes:
[...]

If you look at wood chemistry:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lignin
and compare to phenolic resin:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenol_formaldehyde_resin
You see a lot of similarity. Both when completely burned give carbon
dioxide and water. That's why I say the composite should be as safe to
burn as wood.

Frank
Posted to alt.home.repair

According to Frank frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet:

If you look at wood chemistry:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lignin
and compare to phenolic resin:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenol_formaldehyde_resin
You see a lot of similarity. Both when completely burned give carbon
dioxide and water. That's why I say the composite should be as safe to
burn as wood.

"Completely burned" is the key here. In an open fire, will
phenol formaldehyde resin _completely_ burn, or will significant
quantities of outgas "escape" without burning. Certainly, in a
contained/controlled high temperature furnace, it'll only emit
CO2 and water. But an open fire is _very_ different.

Most locally available softwoods (especially pine) are essentially
entirely non-toxic. You can eat it - you can't digest it, but
it won't poison you. Phenols and formaldehyde are toxic. Phenols
are also known to have relatively high decomposition temperatures.
Takes quite a bit to get bakelite to "properly" burn, and in open
air the burn isn't even remotely "clean".

You don't want to be near burning bakelite (particle board
is essentially wood fibers in a bakelite matrix by implication
of that link). I've encountered overheated/scorched/burned
bakelite in electrical equipment. It ain't just CO2 and water
by a long shot.
--
Chris Lewis,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 7, 3:06 pm, "SteveB" wrote:
I think I know the answer, but I'll ask anyway.

We have lumber scraps left over from construction. Some are pine odd
lengths, some treated pine, and a bunch of particle board.

I know NOT to burn treated lumber.

I THINK that untreated regular pine will burn fine in our backyard fire pit.

What about particle board? I know it has glues in it, and think it probably
should go to the landfill, but thought I'd ask youse guys.

Steve

It's obvious that you've already made up your mind about which answers
are acceptable to you. Why'd you bother asking in the first place?

It burns readily. No, smoke is not good to breathe (duh). The level
of pollution it makes may or may not be acceptable to you. Are we
done?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Richard J Kinch wrote:
SteveB writes:

What about particle board? I know it has glues in it, and think it
probably should go to the landfill, but thought I'd ask youse guys.
Exterior grade products are typically glued with phenol-formaldehyde
resins, meaning that combustion products involve some really nasty
chemicals.
Probably no worse chemicals than the wood itself. I'd burn it.

Here's a guy without a clue.

Bob

Not clueless. I'm a retired chemist. If wood is typically bound with phenol
resins, there is no harm in burning and combustion products are no worse than
burning pure wood. If it contains preservatives such as arsenicals or
chlorinated compounds or flame retardants of a similar nature, it is best land
filled.

OP and some respondents are not addressing issue.

I could be wrong, but the EPA seems to agree with me.
"Never burn ocean driftwood, plywood, particle board, or any wood with glue on
or in it. They all release toxic chemicals when burned."

http://www.epa.gov/woodstoves/healthier.html

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote:
"Frank" frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote in message
m...
Richard J Kinch wrote:
SteveB writes:

[...]

Bob- Hide quoted text -

Snort. NEVER burn DRIFTWOOD or ANY wood with glue ON it? Oh
brother. It sure makes the EPA sound like alarmist ninnies.

If I'm ever coming down with hypotheria, I'll be sure not to burn
driftwood because the EPA says so. Never means never.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Frank" wrote

Probably no worse chemicals than the wood itself. I'd burn it.

Here's a guy without a clue.

Not clueless. I'm a retired chemist. If wood is typically bound with
phenol resins, there is no harm in burning and combustion products are no
worse than burning pure wood. If it contains preservatives such as
arsenicals or chlorinated compounds or flame retardants of a similar
nature, it is best land filled.

I think the issue is he doesnt know if it was treated for exterior uses or
not. Case of 'if in doubt, throw it out'.

I found it intriguing that another uses such in his furnace. I imagine all
vapors vent outside so this might be sorta 'ok'?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Richard J Kinch wrote:
SteveB writes:

[...]

driftwood because the EPA says so. Never means never. - Hide quoted text -

If you want to take it to rediculous extremes which is not the intent
of EPA. In emergencies, almost anything goes and they won't object.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

news:A92dnQ1oELkwya_anZ2dnUVZ_uHinZ2d@comcast. com...
Richard J Kinch wrote:
SteveB writes:
[...]

Assuming (and you are incorrect, it does give off other vapors) it
only gives off water vapor and CO2 you must not care about the green
house effect. Both affect it.

Burning wood _in the long run_ (pay attention to that) is carbon/water
vapor neutral. If not burned it puts out the same amount when it
decays. So what is different about particle board? The great excess
amount of the binders which is not carbon neutral.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

According to Cshenk :

"mike" wrote

If I'm ever coming down with hypotheria, I'll be sure not to burn
driftwood because the EPA says so. Never means never.

I was kinda wondering about the driftwood....

I can't see a reason to not use it unless it's on the edge of a chemical
dump or something.

I did a bit of googling, and saw:

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/air/particulates/rwssabi.html

The more significant rationale seems to be that driftwood on ocean
beaches is laden with salt. Entirely aside from the mentioned
potential of dioxin/furan production, chlorine ions and heat will
accelerate the corrosion of metal stove or venting systems, and
aren't terribly good to be downwind of either.

But they're unlikely to get too terribly bent out of shape if
it's an emergency to avoid freezing to death.
--
Chris Lewis,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 9, 12:35 pm, "Cshenk" wrote:
"mike" wrote

If I'm ever coming down with hypotheria, I'll be sure not to burn
driftwood because the EPA says so. Never means never.

I was kinda wondering about the driftwood....

I can't see a reason to not use it unless it's on the edge of a chemical
dump or something.

I have often wonderd about it myself. Of course there are the various
salts that were absorbed while it was immersed but would there be
enough to cause a problem? Corrosion problem in the chimney stack?

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

According to Cshenk :

"Chris Lewis" wrote

The more significant rationale seems to be that driftwood on ocean
beaches is laden with salt. Entirely aside from the mentioned
potential of dioxin/furan production, chlorine ions and heat will
accelerate the corrosion of metal stove or venting systems, and
aren't terribly good to be downwind of either.

Snicker, ok. I'd not burn it inside but it seems strange that something i
can drop in my fishtank (goldies) would harm me if burned.

I'll bet that you don't put driftwood fresh off a sal****er beach
in with the goldfish...

Presuming by "goldie" you mean goldfish. I don't know how
tolerant of salt goldfish are. Some tropical fish aren't tolerant
of salt at all.

I'd hope you wouldn't throw it in without at least rinsing it
first. How many people rinse their firewood? ;-)
--
Chris Lewis,

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Harry K" wrote

I was kinda wondering about the driftwood....

I can't see a reason to not use it unless it's on the edge of a chemical
dump or something.

I have often wonderd about it myself. Of course there are the various
salts that were absorbed while it was immersed but would there be
enough to cause a problem? Corrosion problem in the chimney stack?

Chris mentins corrrosive salts in the air which could be a problem with
metal works. Obviously not a problem with outdoor burning.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Chris Lewis" wrote

The more significant rationale seems to be that driftwood on ocean
beaches is laden with salt. Entirely aside from the mentioned

Snicker, ok. I'd not burn it inside but it seems strange that something
can drop in my fishtank (goldies) would harm me if burned.

I'll bet that you don't put driftwood fresh off a sal****er beach
in with the goldfish...

No, I soak it for 3-5 days in 2-3 changes of water.

Presuming by "goldie" you mean goldfish. I don't know how
tolerant of salt goldfish are. Some tropical fish aren't tolerant
of salt at all.

Godifish are very tolerant of salt water.

I'd hope you wouldn't throw it in without at least rinsing it
first. How many people rinse their firewood? ;-)

Dunno but i doubt it's a prob,em when having a clamfest on the beach.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Richard J Kinch wrote:
SteveB writes:

What about particle board? I know it has glues in it, and think it
probably should go to the landfill, but thought I'd ask youse guys.
Exterior grade products are typically glued with phenol-formaldehyde
resins, meaning that combustion products involve some really nasty
chemicals.
Probably no worse chemicals than the wood itself. I'd burn it.

Here's a guy without a clue.

Bob

Not clueless. I'm a retired chemist. If wood is typically bound with
phenol resins, there is no harm in burning and combustion products are no
worse than burning pure wood. If it contains preservatives such as
arsenicals or chlorinated compounds or flame retardants of a similar
nature, it is best land filled.

OP and some respondents are not addressing issue.

Frank

I don't need to "address" the ****ing issue. I just asked what people
thought and said that I thought it wasn't a very good idea. I asked for
input. One does that when seeking knowledge.

That is, unless the person already knows everything.

Not pointing anyone out in particular, mind you.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote

Not clueless. I'm a retired chemist. If wood is typically bound with
phenol resins, there is no harm in burning and combustion products are no
worse than burning pure wood. If it contains preservatives such as
arsenicals or chlorinated compounds or flame retardants of a similar
nature, it is best land filled.

OP and some respondents are not addressing issue.

I could be wrong, but the EPA seems to agree with me.
"Never burn ocean driftwood, plywood, particle board, or any wood with
glue on or in it. They all release toxic chemicals when burned."

http://www.epa.gov/woodstoves/healthier.html

Bob

Now, Bob. What does the EPA know compared to Frank?

Steve ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yeah, Frank. As we said in the sixties, "Take a BIG hit!"

Steve

You asked. Personally, I don't care if you take a running leap at the
particle board.

Frank

Yes, I asked, and I think you were incapable of giving a short answer that
covered the simple questions asked. I think you had to delve into your
overeducated brain and begin a dissertation on the subject.

Next time, just keep it simple and answer the questions.

BTW, would contact caused by a running leap be equal to inhaling the vapors
of the burning particle board? Just wondering, so I thought I'd ask Mr.
Know It All.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mike" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Nov 7, 3:06 pm, "SteveB" wrote:
I think I know the answer, but I'll ask anyway.

We have lumber scraps left over from construction. Some are pine odd
lengths, some treated pine, and a bunch of particle board.

I know NOT to burn treated lumber.

I THINK that untreated regular pine will burn fine in our backyard fire
pit.

What about particle board? I know it has glues in it, and think it
probably
should go to the landfill, but thought I'd ask youse guys.

Steve

It's obvious that you've already made up your mind about which answers
are acceptable to you. Why'd you bother asking in the first place?

It burns readily. No, smoke is not good to breathe (duh). The level
of pollution it makes may or may not be acceptable to you. Are we
done?

Yeah. We're done.

Was it good for you?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

SteveB wrote:
"mike" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Nov 7, 3:06 pm, "SteveB" wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Steve, your responses to me and others proves my opinion of you
is correct.

Frank
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Frank" frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote in message
. ..
SteveB wrote:
"mike" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Nov 7, 3:06 pm, "SteveB" wrote:
[...]

Frank, you have NO idea how that makes me feel.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 11, 4:21 am, Frank frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote:
SteveB wrote:
"mike" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Nov 7, 3:06 pm, "SteveB" wrote:
[...]

Seems you (individual) have a poor opinion of him. Odd that the
unanimous opinion of everyone in this thread agree about you.

Harry K

Particle Board Woes Bill Woodworking 18 October 22nd 07 01:40 AM
Old particle board subfloor [email protected] Home Repair 13 June 14th 07 02:01 AM
Particle Board Painting Tanus Woodworking 7 August 29th 06 11:01 AM
hardwood over particle board steven Home Repair 3 July 4th 06 07:34 PM
How to fix broken particle board. toller Woodworking 4 July 1st 04 12:22 AM