How many bags of Portland Cement for a CU Yard?

Old November 8th 07, 01:21 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default How many bags of Portland Cement for a CU Yard?

Gfretwell gave you the correct answer.

When ordering or specifying concrete today, it is done by
requesting a PSI strength depending on how the concrete is to be
used. 2500# for residential footings, minimum; most commercial
work is speced at 3500#; tilt up and prestress run 4500-6000#.
Each excess gallon on water per yard above the design water/cement
ratio reduces the strength by 500#, so you will often see
references to not using too much water.

The very old method of ordering, mixing, or thinking about
concrete as xxx number of sacks per yard is not used anymore, but
most concrete people (at least we old ones) do understand the
terminology.

It kinda ends up knowing what you are doing with the concrete, the
stresses to which it will be exposed, your expectations for the
finish product, etc. 3 sack will set up, get hard, and will
crack. 6 sack will set up, get hard, and will crack. The six
sack can take a great deal more load before crushing.

Your call. There is an excellent explanation with facts and
figures he http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Concrete

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

wrote in message
How many bags of Portland Cement for a CU Yard?
They are 90lb bags. From what I recall, it was 3 bags per cu
yard.
Yet I got this guy at the local lumberyard who insists I need 5
bags
per... Sounds to me he is trying to make more money...

I am referring to a standard mix of 1 part portland, 2 parts
sand and
3 parts stone.

It's been awhile since I made cement so I am asking to be sure.
I'm
checking into the cost to make my own from scratch rather than
truck
in some ready mixed stuff in a tub.

Old November 8th 07, 02:29 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 7 Nov 2007 19:21:08 -0600, "DanG" wrote:

[...]

For a simple feedshed floor, I only need the minimum. It's only for
me to walk on. On the other hand, I always make my concrete more
durable than that sack-crete. That stuff always seems weak and
inferior. (not enough portland in it).
Old November 8th 07, 03:18 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 7, 6:29 pm, wrote:
[...]

inferior. (not enough portland in it).- Hide quoted text -

Yep, I buy the sack-crete and add 1 bag of portland. Add about a
coffee can of portland per bag when mixing. Excess is kept in one of
the ubiquitous white buckets with the sealing top. Seems to keep for
years that way.

Harry K