Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default why does my basement cold water pipe only rattle during cold weather?

I thought I had fixed this problem last winter but now it's back
again. When water is turned off upstairs the cold water pipe rattles
against the drywall. It started happening the same time last year. It
seems that when the outside temp falls down to the 40s and 30s is the
only time it happens. Does the ground being colder have something to
do with the water being heavier?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 6, 9:07?am, Joe wrote:
I thought I had fixed this problem last winter but now it's back
again. When water is turned off upstairs the cold water pipe rattles
against the drywall. It started happening the same time last year. It
seems that when the outside temp falls down to the 40s and 30s is the
only time it happens. Does the ground being colder have something to
do with the water being heavier?

expansion in summer, pipes tight.)

contraction in cold winter, pipes lose

easily solved by adding some extra hangers, for extra insurance wrap
pipe with bicycle innertube, then install or reinstall hanger.

its only a real problem if the pipes are buried in a finished basement:
(

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...
I thought I had fixed this problem last winter but now it's back
again. When water is turned off upstairs the cold water pipe rattles
against the drywall. It started happening the same time last year. It
seems that when the outside temp falls down to the 40s and 30s is the
only time it happens. Does the ground being colder have something to
do with the water being heavier?

No... the pipe is smaller.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote:
I thought I had fixed this problem last winter but now it's back
again. When water is turned off upstairs the cold water pipe rattles
against the drywall. It started happening the same time last year. It
seems that when the outside temp falls down to the 40s and 30s is the
only time it happens. Does the ground being colder have something to
do with the water being heavier?

Its heavier but more importantly it is colder which causes the tubing to
contract which might shrink it just enough to contact something.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 14:07:25 -0000, Joe wrote:

I thought I had fixed this problem last winter but now it's back
again. When water is turned off upstairs the cold water pipe rattles
against the drywall. It started happening the same time last year. It
seems that when the outside temp falls down to the 40s and 30s is the
only time it happens. Does the ground being colder have something to
do with the water being heavier?

Everything has a natural vibration frequency. Changing physical
properties of an item will change this frequency. The typical "fix"
is to add additional clamps or bracing close to the source, or add a
hammer arrester close to the tap. And, yes it is possible the
temperature change can cause a vibration. Cooler water is slightly
heavier and moves slower than water at higher temperatures.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 14:07:25 +0000, Joe wrote:

I thought I had fixed this problem last winter but now it's back again.
When water is turned off upstairs the cold water pipe rattles against
the drywall. It started happening the same time last year. It seems that
when the outside temp falls down to the 40s and 30s is the only time it
happens. Does the ground being colder have something to do with the
water being heavier?

I once owned a house from the 20's where an old Saturday Evening Post was
wedged between pipes and joists to silence things a bit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 6, 1:01?pm, franz frippl wrote:
On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 14:07:25 +0000, Joe wrote:
I thought I had fixed this problem last winter but now it's back again.
When water is turned off upstairs the cold water pipe rattles against
the drywall. It started happening the same time last year. It seems that
when the outside temp falls down to the 40s and 30s is the only time it
happens. Does the ground being colder have something to do with the
water being heavier?

I once owned a house from the 20's where an old Saturday Evening Post was
wedged between pipes and joists to silence things a bit.

if you have basement access try holding on there while someone tries
to create noise.

may be possible to push on lines to stop noise, most easily tried by
using your hands and pushing pulling etc on lines

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote:
I thought I had fixed this problem last winter but now it's back
again. When water is turned off upstairs the cold water pipe rattles
against the drywall. It started happening the same time last year. It
seems that when the outside temp falls down to the 40s and 30s is the
only time it happens. Does the ground being colder have something to
do with the water being heavier?

It's called "shivering," and is a normal physiological reaction to extreme
cold.