Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Oil-Filled Electric Radiator Heater

Has anyone used one of these for heating?

I want something I can leave on when I'm not home for the pets. This
looks like it would be safe. No open element, no fumes.

I've decided to stop using propane heat because of the cost. I live by
myself and only intend to heat the central living area of my living
room/kitchen/dining room. The total area is about 600 square feet and
I would use the ceiling fan to circulate the warm air.

****
UL Listed
Manufacturers one-year warranty
600/900/1,500 triple watt heater. Heating element is factory-sealed in
mineral oil; oil is safely heated internally. No fumes, no flames.
Thermostat maintains temperature with automatic on/off cycles.
Seven-fin steel cabinet with easy rolling wheels. 7-ft. line cord with
high-temperature plug.
****

If there is anyone out there that uses this heater, would it heat this
size area?

Jacksonville Florida is the area I live in.

Thank you for any help you may have for me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Here's a link to a picture of it:

http://www.overstock.com/Janitorial-....html#moreinfo

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Merlin" wrote in message
Has anyone used one of these for heating?

I want something I can leave on when I'm not home for the pets. This
looks like it would be safe. No open element, no fumes.

I've decided to stop using propane heat because of the cost. I live by
myself and only intend to heat the central living area of my living
room/kitchen/dining room. The total area is about 600 square feet and
I would use the ceiling fan to circulate the warm air.

First, take a god look at cost comparisons to see if you will save money
http://hearth.com/econtent/index.php...on_calculator/

In my area, electric would be about 25% more than propane.

Assuming the cost factor fits, it is a good choice for safe heating as it
has a lot of surface area for heat distribution. That translates to no hot
spots.

Next is size. How cool does it get where you are? 1500 watts is not a lot
for 600 square feet in cooler areas. It is about what you'd need for a
single room. To take the chill off in Florida, it may work out.

1500 watts is 5180 Btu for comparison to a propane heater. The cost of
running the unit in high is your electric rate per kWh + 1.5. At my local
rate that would be $6 a day on high, or $180 a month to heat one room,
versus that much in oil costs to heat my entire house. Given the cost of
the unit, I can buy a lot of oil. YMMV, but do the math before you leap.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Merlin" wrote
..
Has anyone used one of these for heating?

I havent, but I did see something interesting on one of those 'house
flipping' shows just last week. Fellow had something like that (not on
wheels) and he built a little credenza with grillwork over it to both hide
it and make a nice sort of breaskfast nook spot with stools in front. I
thought tthat was a pretty nifty idea. I was also thinking if the top
lifted up, sorta like a piano keyboard cover does, it would make for better
heat flow.

In your area, you dont need much heat or perhaps it's better to say you do
not need it often. Since it's on wheels and pets can be 'playful' when you
are away, I'd want to have some way to make sure they can't knock it over
when you are gone. I'm sure if you do like the idea of some sort f
'enclosure' the unit has specs on how far away from other things it is
supposed to be. (keep that in mind with the bottom if you have a deep pile
carpet).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 20:47:33 -0600, Tom Kendrick
wrote:

I have two units like this, though each one has a timer as well as a
thermostat. I use them in bedrooms that are more like 200 square feet
or less, at night only. Since these units are only about 5,000 Btu, I
only use them as supplemental heat, not as a primary heat source.
These units work best in a small, insulated space with no drafts,
since they heat by convection and very slowly at that.

Insulation of the space, particularly windows and doors, will be the
key to using this unit effectively.

Thank you to all of you that have answered. I guess I'll have to
continue to use the propane. What a drag.

The cost has gotten out of control.

I think I'll get one of these units and see exactly how much heat they
put out in my conditions. I'll use the propane for days that are too
cold to do otherwise.

Thanks again for all your input.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jacksonville Florida is the area I live in.

And you need heat for your pets??????

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

Merlin wrote:
[...]

I don't have a heater, but I have a towel warmer that works the same
way, and easily heats a 6x8 bathroom in a much colder climate than
Florida. In fact, we closed the register on the forced air heating as
the towel heater alone was enough. The brand we got comes in varying
sizes, up to 900 watts and 3000 BTU; perhaps they have even bigger
models now.

I wonder if you have to heat at all for your pets, and if so, whether
you have to heat the whole area. All our pets have fur and don't seem
to be bothered by the cold.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Merlin wrote:

I think I'll get one of these units and see exactly how much heat they
put out in my conditions.

That's a good plan.

I borrowed one of these "radiators" to heat our master bedroom while our
furnace was being replaced. As it turned out, the first night the temp
descended to -8F (yes, 8 BELOW zero). The second night (without a furnace)
was a little less cold but not by much.

During the second night, with the door closed to our moderately-sized MBR and
bath, I actually had to throttle-back the heater. I was VERY impressed with
its performance. (There were other electric heaters operating elsewhere in
the house during this time.)

I'll use the propane for days that are too cold to do otherwise.

Given it's Jacksonville, Florida, yours sounds like a good plan. Remember:
Electric heat is virtually 100% efficient. In some places, it is also 100%
EXPENSIVE although the gap between it and NG has narrowed considerable in
recent years. Only you, armed with information such as how much you are
paying per kilowatthour of electricity versus therm of LPG, can tell how much,
if at all, you will save by using electricity for heat. Good luck!
--

JR

No project too small
All projects too big
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark wrote:
Jacksonville Florida is the area I live in.

And you need heat for your pets??????

Mark

Hey, who says they're not Iguanas?

- Rodger
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 10:42:15 -0800, Mark wrote:

Jacksonville Florida is the area I live in.

And you need heat for your pets??????

Mark

Yes, I do. It gets down below freezing here every winter. Not for
long, but 24 hours of freezing with no heat at all would be a little
much for me or my very old cats. One of them has lived for 24 years.
He's old, he's cool as hell and I take good care of him, as any friend
would another. Cold makes his bones hurt as it does mine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 00:21:27 GMT, Rodger wrote:

Mark wrote:
Jacksonville Florida is the area I live in.

And you need heat for your pets??????

Mark

Hey, who says they're not Iguanas?

- Rodger

Cats, not lizards....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 19:01:32 -0500, "Not@home" wrote:

I don't have a heater, but I have a towel warmer that works the same
way, and easily heats a 6x8 bathroom in a much colder climate than
Florida. In fact, we closed the register on the forced air heating as
the towel heater alone was enough. The brand we got comes in varying
sizes, up to 900 watts and 3000 BTU; perhaps they have even bigger
models now.

I wonder if you have to heat at all for your pets, and if so, whether
you have to heat the whole area. All our pets have fur and don't seem
to be bothered by the cold.

Thank you for your suggestion. Both of my cats are pretty old. The 600
square feet is the common area of my house. It's the living room,
office area, kitchen and laundry area.

The three bedrooms and Florida room aren't included in that. I've
never allowed animals in my bedrooms. I could leave the door open and
they wouldn't go in. It'd worry the hell out of them though.

I'm just trying to heat the common area during the coldest part of the
year. Here, it's mostly air conditioning, but for about a month each
year, it gets down to heater temperatures.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 19:06:44 -0500, Jim Redelfs
wrote:

In article ,
Merlin wrote:

[...]

Thank you for replying. Your information is very usful.

I'm going to get one of those units now, and I can have another in any
3 day period. If the one does what I need, then it's a winner!

If I estimate, (after testing one unit), that another would really do
the trick, I'll get one more. I wouldn't want to have to buy more than
two.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Merlin wrote:

On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 10:42:15 -0800, Mark wrote:

Jacksonville Florida is the area I live in.

And you need heat for your pets??????

Mark

Yes, I do. It gets down below freezing here every winter. Not for
long, but 24 hours of freezing with no heat at all would be a little
much for me or my very old cats. One of them has lived for 24 years.
He's old, he's cool as hell and I take good care of him, as any friend
would another. Cold makes his bones hurt as it does mine.

You could get your cats a couple of electric rugs. They run on only a
few watts and will keep 'em toasty and allow you to turn the room temp
down a bit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 5, 9:49 pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,

wrote:
On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 10:42:15 -0800, Mark wrote:

Jacksonville Florida is the area I live in.

And you need heat for your pets??????

Mark

Yes, I do. It gets down below freezing here every winter. Not for
long, but 24 hours of freezing with no heat at all would be a little
much for me or my very old cats. One of them has lived for 24 years.
He's old, he's cool as hell and I take good care of him, as any friend
would another. Cold makes his bones hurt as it does mine.

You could get your cats a couple of electric rugs. They run on only a
few watts and will keep 'em toasty and allow you to turn the room temp
down a bit.

That's a very good idea. Do you have a link to one like what you're
talking about?

Thank you very much!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 10:42:15 -0800, Mark wrote:

Jacksonville Florida is the area I live in.

And you need heat for your pets??????

Mark

Yes, I do. It gets down below freezing here every winter. Not for
long, but 24 hours of freezing with no heat at all would be a little
much for me or my very old cats. One of them has lived for 24 years.
He's old, he's cool as hell and I take good care of him, as any friend
would another. Cold makes his bones hurt as it does mine.

You could get your cats a couple of electric rugs. They run on only a
few watts and will keep 'em toasty and allow you to turn the room temp
down a bit.

That's a very good idea. Do you have a link to one like what you're
talking about?

Thank you very much!

Can't recommend a particular brand, but do a google search for pet
warmer or something like that and you'll get plenty of hits. Or visit
your local pet store. Too warm around here to need one, so I don't have
one. Here's a link to get you started, though:

http://www.khmfg.com/products/heatedCatBeds.htm
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 5, 3:42 pm, Mark wrote:
Jacksonville Florida is the area I live in.

And you need heat for your pets??????

Mark

BTW do not modern heaters have 'Anti tip-over' switches per UL
requirement? Howevr not hard to quietly fasten heater to something, w
piece of wire etc. to prevent tip over.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article . com,
Merlin wrote:

You could get your cats a couple of electric rugs. They run on only a
few watts and will keep 'em toasty and allow you to turn the room temp
down a bit.

That's a very good idea. Do you have a link to one like what you're
talking about?

I keep my aged dog warm in her crate while we're away at work with the
medium-size (60 watt) Lectro-Kennel warming pad. You will probably find
something that will work for your kitties he

http://www.khmfg.com/products/heatedCatBeds.htm
--

JR
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 6, 6:04 pm, Jim Redelfs wrote:
In article . com,

Merlin wrote:
You could get your cats a couple of electric rugs. They run on only a
few watts and will keep 'em toasty and allow you to turn the room temp
down a bit.

That's a very good idea. Do you have a link to one like what you're
talking about?

I keep my aged dog warm in her crate while we're away at work with the
medium-size (60 watt) Lectro-Kennel warming pad. You will probably find
something that will work for your kitties he

http://www.khmfg.com/products/heatedCatBeds.htm
--

JR

Thanks for the link!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lee Lee is offline

Coming in late on this, but...
That seems pretty expensive for an oil fill radiator. I usually get
Delonghi's or knockoffs for much less. See
http://www.amazon.com/Delonghi-TRD07.../dp/B000A33B1C
for $69 and includes a programmable timer.

I use one of it's ancestors in my bedroom, and it gets too warm.

In answer to someone's question about tipover switches - it has one, but
the metal gets pretty hot and that could be a problem if it fell onto
something. I have dogs and would be leery of leaving them along with the
unit, lest they knock it over or hurt/burn themselves. If they were
loose with the unit, I might consider getting a dog crate for the
heater, to keep them away from it.

Merlin wrote:
Here's a link to a picture of it:

http://www.overstock.com/Janitorial-....html#moreinfo

Posted to alt.home.repair

Coming in late on this, but...
That seems pretty expensive for an oil fill radiator. I usually get
Delonghi's or knockoffs for much less. See

I like oil filled radiator heaters and they do a good
job.... but are somewhat heavy.

Lately I've been leaning towards getting one of
these...see link

http://www.bionaire.com/productDetai...d=2018&cid=129

Its a "micathermic" radiator. Costco has them and they
are very lightweight, completely silent (no fan), and
this particular model has a standalone
thermostat/remote that can be set across the room aways
to give the unit better temp control

Anyone have one? Any real world experience with it?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Lately I've been leaning towards getting one of
these...see link

http://www.bionaire.com/productDetai...d=2018&cid=129

Its a "micathermic" radiator. Costco has them and they
are very lightweight, completely silent (no fan), and
this particular model has a standalone
thermostat/remote that can be set across the room aways
to give the unit better temp control

Looks expensive. Keep in mind, 1500 watts is still 1500 watts no matter how
fancy the package or how many controls it has. How many times a day do you
adjust the heat? If the remote is of value to you, go for it. If you'd
rather have that money to apply to your electric bill, stick with what you
have.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Lately I've been leaning towards getting one of
these...see link

http://www.bionaire.com/productDetai...d=2018&cid=129

Its a "micathermic" radiator. Costco has them and they
are very lightweight, completely silent (no fan), and
this particular model has a standalone
thermostat/remote that can be set across the room aways
to give the unit better temp control

Looks expensive. Keep in mind, 1500 watts is still 1500 watts no matter how
fancy the package or how many controls it has. How many times a day do you
adjust the heat? If the remote is of value to you, go for it. If you'd
rather have that money to apply to your electric bill, stick with what you
have.

OK you make a good argument for sticking with he
cheapest oil filled, steel radiator style electric
heater than. yes?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
OK you make a good argument for sticking with he
cheapest oil filled, steel radiator style electric
heater than. yes?

Yes

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
OK you make a good argument for sticking with he
cheapest oil filled, steel radiator style electric
heater than. yes?

Yes

Ok that would be the Lakewood brand at the local Farm
and Home store then

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 12, 9:16 pm, Lee wrote:
Coming in late on this, but...
That seems pretty expensive for an oil fill radiator. I usually get
Delonghi's or knockoffs for much less. Seehttp://www.amazon.com/Delonghi-TRD0715T-Safe-Oil-Filled-Radiator/dp/B...
for $69 and includes a programmable timer.

Here's an update:

After lots of reading and looking at many units, I decided to get the
Delonghi TRD-O715T.

I tried it out for two days and it heated my 600 sq ft area to 70
degrees F while being a low of 39 outside. It held it there while
cycling on and off. In 24 hours of running, it's used 10 KWH, which
translates into $1.10 at my current rate of 11 cents per/KWH.

My per/day costs with propane were MUCH higher.

I'm extremely pleased with this and have just ordered a second one for
the bedroom.

Thank you all for your input on this.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Merlin" wrote in message

I tried it out for two days and it heated my 600 sq ft area to 70
degrees F while being a low of 39 outside. It held it there while
cycling on and off. In 24 hours of running, it's used 10 KWH, which
translates into $1.10 at my current rate of 11 cents per/KWH.

My per/day costs with propane were MUCH higher.

I'm extremely pleased with this and have just ordered a second one for
the bedroom.

Thank you all for your input on this.

Thanks for getting back about it. If you can heat your house with two of
them for about $60 a month, that is pretty cheap.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 17, 5:04 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"Merlin" wrote in message

I tried it out for two days and it heated my 600 sq ft area to 70
degrees F while being a low of 39 outside. It held it there while
cycling on and off. In 24 hours of running, it's used 10 KWH, which
translates into $1.10 at my current rate of 11 cents per/KWH.

My per/day costs with propane were MUCH higher.

I'm extremely pleased with this and have just ordered a second one for
the bedroom.

Thank you all for your input on this.

Thanks for getting back about it. If you can heat your house with two of
them for about $60 a month, that is pretty cheap.

I agree. The propane heating was getting crazy. I was filling my 250
gallon propane tank twice each year. That's a lot of money. I was
heating my entire 10 room house. I then shut off the vents in unused
rooms and decreased my heating costs by almost half.

This latest step was because of the problems I was having with my
propane supplier. They started acting as though they were doing ME a
favor by coming out to fill my tank when they felt like it. They left
the relief/fill valve open one month and the tank emptied itself. When
I told them what they had done, the Manager of the place, (a real
butthead), told me that "sometimes winos open them to sniff the
propane" and that I would have to eat the cost of a refill.

After talking directly to the owner, I still only received half of the
cost back.

I told them that day to come get their tank off my property.

So ends the trials of home heating. I've found what I believe to be
the most efficient method of heating now. Two of these units will do
me just fine. I'm now by myself, so heating the common area and one
bedroom is all I need.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 4, 2:11 pm, Merlin wrote:
Has anyone used one of these for heating?

UL Listed
Manufacturers one-year warranty
600/900/1,500 triple watt heater. Heating element is factory-sealed in
mineral oil; oil is safely heated internally. No fumes, no flames.
Thermostat maintains temperature with automatic on/off cycles.
Seven-fin steel cabinet with easy rolling wheels. 7-ft. line cord with
high-temperature plug.

Just an update for those who are interested.

I now use two of these heaters. One in the 600 sq ft area that is set
on the highest wattage and about half way up on the Thermostat. It
keeps the area at a constant 74 degrees when it's 40 outside.

The other is in the bedroom and set on the lowest wattage and almost
off on the thermostat. It keeps the 240 sq ft bedroom at 72 degrees
while cycling during the 40 degree weather.

I love these things! The cost to run them both is about $2 per/day.

WAY cheaper that the propane I was using.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Merlin wrote:

Just an update for those who are interested.

I now use two of these heaters. One in the 600 sq ft area that is set
on the highest wattage and about half way up on the Thermostat. It
keeps the area at a constant 74 degrees when it's 40 outside.

The other is in the bedroom and set on the lowest wattage and almost
off on the thermostat. It keeps the 240 sq ft bedroom at 72 degrees
while cycling during the 40 degree weather.

I love these things! The cost to run them both is about $2 per/day.

WAY cheaper that the propane I was using.

I bought one of the oil filled radiator style heaters
as well and so far so good also!!

I have it in my bedroom and shut the bedroom door at
night and only heat THAT room....and turn the main
forced air furnace WAY down

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 13, 10:08 am, wrote:
Coming in late on this, but...
That seems pretty expensive for an oil fill radiator. I usually get
Delonghi's or knockoffs for much less. See

I like oil filled radiator heaters and they do a good
job.... but are somewhat heavy.

Lately I've been leaning towards getting one of
these...see link

http://www.bionaire.com/productDetai...d=2018&cid=129

Its a "micathermic" radiator. Costco has them and they
are very lightweight, completely silent (no fan), and
this particular model has a standalone
thermostat/remote that can be set across the room aways
to give the unit better temp control

Anyone have one? Any real world experience with it?

We have one about 30 years old it still works fine
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 19, 3:19 pm, wrote:

I bought one of the oil filled radiator style heaters
as well and so far so good also!!

I have it in my bedroom and shut the bedroom door at
night and only heat THAT room....and turn the main
forced air furnace WAY down

I don't even have any heat other than the two radiators now. With one
in the common area and one in the bedroom, I have a nice warm house. I
turn the bedroom one on about an hour before bedtime.

The biggest problem I've had with them is setting them LOW enough.
They produce so much heat that I'm still adjusting them downward to
maintain the temperature I desire. They use almost no electricity.

KUDOS to the person who invented this gadget!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oh pshaw, on Thu 20 Dec 2007 05:47:15a, Merlin meant to say...

On Dec 19, 3:19 pm, wrote:

I bought one of the oil filled radiator style heaters
as well and so far so good also!!

I have it in my bedroom and shut the bedroom door at
night and only heat THAT room....and turn the main forced air furnace
WAY down

I don't even have any heat other than the two radiators now. With one
in the common area and one in the bedroom, I have a nice warm house. I
turn the bedroom one on about an hour before bedtime.

The biggest problem I've had with them is setting them LOW enough.
They produce so much heat that I'm still adjusting them downward to
maintain the temperature I desire. They use almost no electricity.

KUDOS to the person who invented this gadget!

Whoever invented the oil-filled electric radiator did so many decades ago,
so they're nothing new. There does seem to be resurgence in popularity,
and they really are very effective .

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Thursday, December 20th,2007

Countdown 'til Christmas
2dys 7hrs 49mins 56secs
A fool and his money rarely get
together to start with.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I just bought an older home, it's about 900 sq ft. I've got 2 oil
heaters...one on each side of the house. I got the oil heaters because I
didn't want to sign up for natural gas, for many reasons....The house
has a natural gas heater but it also has a electric water heater, so
because the water is electric I got the oil heaters to stay total
electric. They do okay until the temps dip down in the 20's and then
it's a little nippy. But that's alright...because with the oil heaters
that's one less bill to pay every month. So I give two tumbs up, all
though I haven't got my first electric bill, should be cheaper then gas
because natrual gas around here is a rip-off $$$.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Northwest Arkansas, In the last few years everyones gas bills had
doubled or even trippled at one time around here and people were upset.
I'm sure the electric heating bill will not be cheap either but I just
can't force myself to sign up with the local gas company (AOG) if I
don't have to..the less bills the better. Basically I'm just not a
natural gas fan...It's also dangerous in a lot of ways. Plus...it's only
a couple months and Spring and warmer weather will be here in the south.
Anyway.. I'll let you know what my first bill is.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Chris" wrote in message ...
Northwest Arkansas, In the last few years everyones gas bills had
doubled or even trippled at one time around here and people were upset.

But that is meaningless with no numbers. If gas was costing $10 a month and
tripled, it is still a bargain. People complain about price increases on
utilities all the time. If it was $200, that may be a different story. The
cost per therm is what counts.

I'm paying 18¢ per kWh for electric here. Gas is about 30% cheaper but I
can't get it where I am.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 22:35:06 -0500, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Chris" wrote in message ...
Northwest Arkansas, In the last few years everyones gas bills had
doubled or even trippled at one time around here and people were upset.

But that is meaningless with no numbers. If gas was costing $10 a month and
tripled, it is still a bargain. People complain about price increases on
utilities all the time. If it was $200, that may be a different story. The
cost per therm is what counts.

I'm paying 18¢ per kWh for electric here. Gas is about 30% cheaper but I
can't get it where I am.

I have a 10 room house. The advantage to me with the electric oil
filled heaters is that I can heat only the areas that I'm in.

The propane heater I have is vented to the entire house.

The electric oil filled heaters cycle. They aren't pulling electricity
every moment.

I use a "Kil-a-Watt" meter that plugs into the wall and then I plug
the heater into it. It measures the exact KWH that is used by the
heater.

In three days of 24/7 heat, it used a total of 47 KWH. At 11 cents
per/KWH, that means I spent just over 5 dollars for three days of
heat.

I was filling my $700 dollar propane tank three times a year to do
nothing but heat my house.

There is no way I'll be spending $2,100 to run these oil filled
radiators this year.

I live alone. I heat the bedroom only when I'm in it. I heat the 600
square feet of my common area 24/7 when heat is needed.

No way is propane cheaper than this.
Posted to alt.home.repair

FWIW, I know a slightly eccentric elderly man who has an older
house--1200sf more or less-- with NG central heat. Forced air heat with
central a/c. A few years ago he got 2 or 3 oil filled radiators and used
them instead of the central, mainly as an experiment. He keeps detailed
records of EVERYTHING, and he said it was pretty much a wash costwise.
Granted, this is S.Tx, so not that cold, and we pay about $.10/kwh,
maybe slightly less. Not sure what NG costs, since it is not available
in my subdivision. YMMV, but compared to propane or oil, unless you are
up near $.25/kwh, they would be a good choice, especially considering
initial cost and upkeep over fossil fuel heat sources. Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 22, 10:56*am, (lp13-30) wrote:
FWIW, I know a slightly eccentric elderly man who has an older
house--1200sf more or less-- with NG central heat. Forced air heat with
central a/c. A few years ago he got 2 or 3 oil filled radiators and used
them instead of the central, mainly as an experiment. He keeps detailed
records of EVERYTHING, and he said it was pretty much a wash costwise.
Granted, this is S.Tx, so not that cold, and we pay about $.10/kwh,
maybe slightly less. Not sure what NG costs, since it is not available
in my subdivision. YMMV, but compared to propane or oil, unless you are
up near $.25/kwh, they would be a good choice, especially considering
initial cost and upkeep over fossil fuel heat sources. * Larry

Thanks for that information, LP1.

I'm in Northern Florida, so cold weather is only a matter of a couple
weeks a year. The two oil filled radiators work so good for my
circumstances that I think that's all I'll need.

Living alone has it's benefits. I use only one area at a time. The
rest can stay cold until I need them. These radiators don't need to
heat the walls. The air between them gets plenty warm for me.

On days where there is a chilly draft in the house, I just dress
accordingly. I don't feel that I need to sit around my house in a t-
shirt and shorts...hahahaa

I will check to see if natural gas is available in my area. I've never
heard of anyone using it, so I'm not sure.

Is it delivered in a gas truck like propane is? I have no idea.

Explosive gas has always bothered me. I don't mind getting away from
it.