Craftsman Self-Propelled Mower Problem

Old November 4th 07, 12:02 AM posted to alt.home.repair
nr

Default Craftsman Self-Propelled Mower Problem

I have a Craftsman self-propelled mower that recently has problems.
After I engage the self-propel mechanism, the front wheels turn but
after going a few yards (distance varies) they stop turning. If I
disengage the mechanism and then re-engage it, they turn again. I've
checked the engaging line and it looks OK.

Any ideas what the problem might be and how to solve?

Thanks for all help.

Old November 4th 07, 12:17 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 16:02:09 -0700, nr
wrote:

I have a Craftsman self-propelled mower that recently has problems.
After I engage the self-propel mechanism, the front wheels turn but
after going a few yards (distance varies) they stop turning. If I
disengage the mechanism and then re-engage it, they turn again. I've
checked the engaging line and it looks OK.

Any ideas what the problem might be and how to solve?

Thanks for all help.

What model?

Most likely the drive keys for the wheels are worn or the springs that
push them outward to drive the wheel are broken. These parts could
also be stuck and need grease.

Remove the wheel. Remove the gear with snap ring pliers.These
parts will fall off the shaft. They cost about one dollar to replace.
Make note of the one way action of the gear and replace it in the
same orientation. Use plenty of grease upon re-assembly.

The drive cable if hydrostatic could also need to be shortened if the
speed of the mower has slowed in recent years.
Old November 4th 07, 12:27 AM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a Craftsman self-propelled mower that recently has problems.
After I engage the self-propel mechanism, the front wheels turn but
after going a few yards (distance varies) they stop turning. If I
disengage the mechanism and then re-engage it, they turn again. I've
checked the engaging line and it looks OK.

Any ideas what the problem might be and how to solve?

Thanks for all help.

Addition:

The wheel and shaft assembly could also be worn bad enough that the
amount of slop could overtake the engagement distance that the drive
needs to work properly.
Old November 4th 07, 12:31 AM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a Craftsman self-propelled mower that recently has problems.
After I engage the self-propel mechanism, the front wheels turn but
after going a few yards (distance varies) they stop turning. If I
disengage the mechanism and then re-engage it, they turn again. I've
checked the engaging line and it looks OK.

Any ideas what the problem might be and how to solve?

Thanks for all help.

Addition:

The wheel and shaft assembly could also be worn bad enough that the
amount of slop could overtake the engagement distance that the drive
needs to work properly.

My new Craftsman variable self-propelled has a belt drive where there
is an adjustment screw that determines how tight the belt is. If
yours is similar, may need adjusting.