Substitute for Mica Wave Guide Cover?

Old November 3rd 07, 05:40 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Substitute for Mica Wave Guide Cover?

I've order a sheet of mica to make a new waveguide cover for my
microwave. In the meantime, the kids keep staring at the gas stove
with a bewildered look in their eyes.

Do I have anything lying around the house that can serve as a
temporary waveguide cover? I tried scraping the carbon spot off the
old one, but I put hole right through it. Can I put tape over the hole
and use it for a few days?

Follow-up question: Why are waveguide covers made of mica?

Old November 3rd 07, 06:09 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 3 Nov, 13:40, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I've order a sheet of mica to make a new waveguide cover for my
microwave. In the meantime, the kids keep staring at the gas stove
with a bewildered look in their eyes.

Do I have anything lying around the house that can serve as a
temporary waveguide cover? I tried scraping the carbon spot off the
old one, but I put hole right through it. Can I put tape over the hole
and use it for a few days?

Follow-up question: Why are waveguide covers made of mica?

How about this?

Don't ask me why, but I have an old waveguide cover from the same
unit. Can I cut out a piece and glue it over the hole in the other
one? Would regular Elmers whie glue work?

Old November 3rd 07, 09:33 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 3, 2:09 pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On 3 Nov, 13:40, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I've order a sheet of mica to make a new waveguide cover for my
microwave. In the meantime, the kids keep staring at the gas stove
with a bewildered look in their eyes.

Do I have anything lying around the house that can serve as a
temporary waveguide cover? I tried scraping the carbon spot off the
old one, but I put hole right through it. Can I put tape over the hole
and use it for a few days?

Follow-up question: Why are waveguide covers made of mica?

How about this?

Don't ask me why, but I have an old waveguide cover from the same
unit. Can I cut out a piece and glue it over the hole in the other
one? Would regular Elmers whie glue work?

OK, so scratch the patch and Elmer's glue idea. I tried it and heated
up a cup of coffee for 30 seconds. The patch got warm...cooled off
really quick, but it was definitely warm while the rest of the
waveguide was cool.

I'm back to looking for a substitute.

Old November 3rd 07, 10:53 PM posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote in
ups.com:

[...]

a piece of glass or clear plastic. both are transparent to MW eneergy.
I guess mica was chosen as a low-cost durable,opaque MW window,and food
spatter would clean off it easily.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old November 3rd 07, 11:34 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 3, 6:53 pm, Jim Yanik wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote roups.com:

[...]

kua.net- Hide quoted text -

Thanks.

I read one website that said that mica helped scatter the MW, which is
desirable for more even cooking, but I read another that said it ain't
so. In any case, I'm looking at a short term fix.

Now I need a way to get the plastic (plexiglass) to stay in the holder

Old November 4th 07, 03:17 AM posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote in
oups.com:

[...]

couple of small spots of superglue?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old November 4th 07, 03:27 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 3, 11:17 pm, Jim Yanik wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote groups.com:

[...]

Thanks...All set. Found some thin, stiff plastic in the shop. Thin
enough to fit in the original holder. Should last a couple of days
until the mica comes in.

Thanks again.

Old November 4th 07, 03:44 AM posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com,
DerbyDad03 wrote:

[...]

Thank god the stove-phobic children won't starve.