Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Default Silicone sealant vs silicone adhesive?

I bought some kitchen and bath silicone sealant (GE Silicone II) at Home
Depot. I have the bottom track of my aluminum bathtub/shower doors that I
want to re-adhere to the tub surface as water has begun to seep underneath
the bottom of the track.

At HD there was GE silicone adhesive and GE silicone sealant. What is the
difference, if any, and did I buy the wrong product? I want to re-seal the
bottom track and prevent water from getting under it. I know once I do
manage to get the sealant under the track that I'll need to weigh down the
track itself in order to get good contact and adhesion with the sealant/tub.

Thanks,
Walter

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Art Art is offline

I can't help you with your choice of silicone but examine your track
carefully. Many are made so that you should not caulk the edge that faces
the inside of the tub. That way if water gets under it it has a way to flow
back into the tub.

"Walter Cohen" wrote in message
I bought some kitchen and bath silicone sealant (GE Silicone II) at Home
Depot. I have the bottom track of my aluminum bathtub/shower doors that I
want to re-adhere to the tub surface as water has begun to seep underneath
the bottom of the track.

At HD there was GE silicone adhesive and GE silicone sealant. What is the
difference, if any, and did I buy the wrong product? I want to re-seal
the bottom track and prevent water from getting under it. I know once I
do manage to get the sealant under the track that I'll need to weigh down
the track itself in order to get good contact and adhesion with the
sealant/tub.

Thanks,
Walter

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

On Oct 30, 3:17 am, buffalobill wrote:
On Oct 29, 10:40 pm, "Walter Cohen" wrote:

I bought some kitchen and bath silicone sealant (GE Silicone II) at Home
Depot. I have the bottom track of my aluminum bathtub/shower doors that I
want to re-adhere to the tub surface as water has begun to seep underneath
the bottom of the track.

At HD there was GE silicone adhesive and GE silicone sealant. What is the
difference, if any, and did I buy the wrong product? I want to re-seal the
bottom track and prevent water from getting under it. I know once I do
manage to get the sealant under the track that I'll need to weigh down the
track itself in order to get good contact and adhesion with the sealant/tub.

Thanks,
Walter

make sure you use non-latex silicone product to help avoid mold/
mildew. you would best compare the manufacturers product website since
there are so many varieties offered it would be inaccurate to guess
which model numbers you bought.
-b

If the tubes both say 100% silicone...they are basically the same
product.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Walter Cohen wrote:

I bought some kitchen and bath silicone sealant (GE Silicone II) at Home
Depot. I have the bottom track of my aluminum bathtub/shower doors that
I want to re-adhere to the tub surface as water has begun to seep
underneath the bottom of the track.

At HD there was GE silicone adhesive and GE silicone sealant. What is
the difference, if any, and did I buy the wrong product? I want to
re-seal the bottom track and prevent water from getting under it. I
know once I do manage to get the sealant under the track that I'll need
to weigh down the track itself in order to get good contact and adhesion
with the sealant/tub.

Thanks,
Walter

Is the frame not fastened to the wall? I've never heard of gluing a
shower door in place. Silicone caulk is the stuff to use around a
tub/shower. Surface should be absolutely, immaculately clean, wiped
with full-strength bleach, dried, caulked. Only a fine line of caulk on
the inside edge of the frame and track should be needed to stop leakage.
I took out my shower door/frame assembly to recaulk and get the little
moldy area cleaned out - got the bleach tip from a pro., and it worked
very well.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Art wrote:

I can't help you with your choice of silicone but examine your track
carefully. Many are made so that you should not caulk the edge that faces
the inside of the tub. That way if water gets under it it has a way to flow
back into the tub.

Shouldn't get under the track if properly caulked. I have a neighbor
who rotted a sizeable section of his bathroom wall because his shower
unit was never caulked.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

"Walter Cohen" wrote...

At HD there was GE silicone adhesive and GE silicone sealant. What is the
difference, if any, and did I buy the wrong product? I want to re-seal the
bottom track and prevent water from getting under it. I know once I do manage
to get the sealant under the track that I'll need to weigh down the track
itself in order to get good contact and adhesion with the sealant/tub.

Pretty much the same stuff...

There are formulation differences for specific purposes (e.g., mold prevention
for sinks & tubs), but realistically they are interchangeable.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Yes, frame is fastened to wall but I have no issues with the vertical frame,
only the bottom track laying on the tub surface. The track had been
originally secured/caulked to the top of the tub. I just want to re-secure
it.

Walter

Silicone sealant diy-newby UK diy 28 November 2nd 07 05:33 PM
Silicone Sealant?? PeteD UK diy 4 December 21st 05 12:29 AM
Silicone sealant Graeme UK diy 4 June 11th 04 02:56 PM
Silicone sealant Graeme UK diy 26 May 22nd 04 02:15 AM
Silicone Sealant Alex Bird UK diy 15 March 16th 04 02:10 PM