Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Space Above Kitchen Cabinets

Any suggestions on what to do with the 11 inch spaces that WILL BE
above newly installed kitchen cabinets, other than let them collect
dust?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jerry wrote:
Any suggestions on what to do with the 11 inch spaces that WILL BE
above newly installed kitchen cabinets, other than let them collect
dust?

Tell your wife to buy collectible plates

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Oct 8, 4:11 pm, Jerry wrote:
Any suggestions on what to do with the 11 inch spaces that WILL BE
above newly installed kitchen cabinets, other than let them collect
dust?

Store seldom-used pots and pans up there? Better than what the PO's
of my house did which was to enclose that space with drywall.

nate

Posted to alt.home.repair

My Dad boxed his in using hidden hinges and latches. IT looked like any old
soffit but if you pushed in the right spot, the door hinged up and exposed
a hidden storage space. OF course none of us were tall enough to reach it so
it didnt get used very often (mostly to hide the christmas presents that
nobody liked but just couldnt dispose of.)

"Jerry" wrote in message
Any suggestions on what to do with the 11 inch spaces that WILL BE
above newly installed kitchen cabinets, other than let them collect
dust?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 20:16:46 GMT, "dadiOH"
wrote:

Jerry wrote:
Any suggestions on what to do with the 11 inch spaces that WILL BE
above newly installed kitchen cabinets, other than let them collect
dust?

Tell your wife to buy collectible plates

Dang...I forgot about all those Olde Britain Castles plates!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Jerry wrote:
Any suggestions on what to do with the 11 inch spaces that WILL BE
above newly installed kitchen cabinets, other than let them collect
dust?

Tell your wife to buy collectible plates

Dang...I forgot about all those Olde Britain Castles plates!

Put flourescent light fixtures up there, ive just done it in the last
8 kitchens, lights up the ceiling nicely,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8 Oct, 16:11, Jerry wrote:
Any suggestions on what to do with the 11 inch spaces that WILL BE
above newly installed kitchen cabinets, other than let them collect
dust?

Hide up there when the in-laws come over.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 20:11:50 GMT, Jerry wrote:

Any suggestions on what to do with the 11 inch spaces that WILL BE
above newly installed kitchen cabinets, other than let them collect
dust?

I put a nice radio up there with a remote control. I think it is a
Cambridge Soundworks.

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jerry wrote in news:rj3lg39vna9c88uaq1utv639co3tcval4a@
4ax.com:

Any suggestions on what to do with the 11 inch spaces that WILL BE
above newly installed kitchen cabinets, other than let them collect
dust?

Trinkets, misc "straw" thingys, lighting, etc.

Here's what I did with the space on one kitchen I redid.
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=w7bxxi&s=2

What it was like befo
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2wqzrm8&s=2
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 8, 3:11 pm, Jerry wrote:
Any suggestions on what to do with the 11 inch spaces that WILL BE
above newly installed kitchen cabinets, other than let them collect
dust?

Speakers for the sound system. You can shake
your booty while you cook.

[8~{} Uncle Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article . com, ransley wrote:

Put flourescent light fixtures up there, ive just done it in the last
8 kitchens, lights up the ceiling nicely,

Yup, that's what I would do. You should be able to create
some bright but very diffuse lighting for the work areas.

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jerry" wrote in message
Any suggestions on what to do with the 11 inch spaces that WILL BE
above newly installed kitchen cabinets, other than let them collect
dust?

==
Put 11 inch cabinets there?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jerry wrote:
Any suggestions on what to do with the 11 inch spaces that WILL BE
above newly installed kitchen cabinets, other than let them collect
dust?

I keep nice mixing bowls and serving bowls in the space - very handy,
and I don't have to dig around in a cupboard for them. Even have room
for Jack D. to stand in the corner.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 06:41:07 -0400, Norminn
wrote:

Jerry wrote:
Any suggestions on what to do with the 11 inch spaces that WILL BE
above newly installed kitchen cabinets, other than let them collect
dust?

I keep nice mixing bowls and serving bowls in the space - very handy,
and I don't have to dig around in a cupboard for them. Even have room
for Jack D. to stand in the corner.

I leave the space above the cabinets uncluttered. It makes for
faster, easier cleaning.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 9, 6:11 am, Jerry wrote:
Any suggestions on what to do with the 11 inch spaces that WILL BE
above newly installed kitchen cabinets, other than let them collect
dust?

Firstly, kitchen low priority. The kitchen is for getting food and
pinching the wifes bum when she is cooking and can't deflect your
advances.

Second, do not store anything up there it will gather dust and look
even worse than an empty space.

Third, start brewing your own beer and store the bottles up there.
This will drive the wife crazy and she will insist that you store your
bottles in the shed/workshop or basement. You will move your bottles
and get to spend some quality time in the shed. Your wife will take
possession of the space above the cupboards and the problem will now
be hers. Job done.

Seriously, cupboards up that high are a waste of time (unless really
really need the space) we have some up high in our kitchen with a
similar gap above. We used to store baskets up there but my wife is
not tall enough to reach them so they just got covered in dust and we
obviously didn't need them so finally ended up throwing them out.

The flourescent lights are not a bad idea, add it to the list of
things to do before you die.

I reckon drywalling it the best option, it may seem a waste of space,
but it will tidy it up nicely and there will be no issues with dust,
hideous plates bought from the back of readers digest or relationship
issues resulting from too much home brewed beer. Plus an extra bonus
with the drywalling job is that you are close to the fridge and may be
able to get the odd bum pinch in while you are doing the job. What
more could a man want, tools, food and sex (well a knock back
anyway).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 8, 1:11 pm, Jerry wrote:
Any suggestions on what to do with the 11 inch spaces that WILL BE
above newly installed kitchen cabinets, other than let them collect
dust?

Box it in is the best option. There comes a point where style should
give way to practical. Anything stored up there, or just left empty
is a dust collector. Some people might use it for storeage but I
wouldn't. I am 6' but still need a 'grabber' or stool to get things
off the top shelf of the cabinets as it is.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 9, 6:11 am, Jerry wrote:
Any suggestions on what to do with the 11 inch spaces that WILL BE
above newly installed kitchen cabinets, other than let them collect
dust?

Fairly useless area. We made the space a feature, by putting low wattage
rope lighting along the back of the top cabinets, so at night the slight
illumination would kill the dark shadows in that area, making it dramatic vs
cavernous..

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Jerry wrote:
Any suggestions on what to do with the 11 inch spaces that WILL BE
above newly installed kitchen cabinets, other than let them collect
dust?
Tell your wife to buy collectible plates

Dang...I forgot about all those Olde Britain Castles plates!

Put flourescent light fixtures up there, ive just done it in the last
8 kitchens, lights up the ceiling nicely,

Nice idea. As I'm considering building
a new home, I'm going to keep
that in mind. But, what I did in this
house when remodeling, was to buy
36" upper cabinets instead of 30". I
then dropped the ceiling around the
perimeter of the kitchen .... about 2'
out. In the middle of the kitchen is
rectangle of the original height
ceiling. To make it interesting, instead of
just a rectangle, I cut off the corners
making it a stretched octagon. On
the vertical between the original
ceiling and the dropped ceiling, about
6", we put a wallpaper boarder. In
addition, in the original ceiling are
2 small skylight ports, about 22" x 30".
The skylights are great, because
the kitchen was very dark. Boy, that
was hard to describe. I know it's
probably too late for the OP, but most
people really like the look.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 8, 4:11 pm, Jerry wrote:
Any suggestions on what to do with the 11 inch spaces that WILL BE
above newly installed kitchen cabinets, other than let them collect
dust?

Put some silk vines up there. Like this: http://cdn.overstock.com/images/products/P10446999.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

Harry K wrote:
On Oct 8, 1:11 pm, Jerry wrote:
Any suggestions on what to do with the 11 inch spaces that WILL BE
above newly installed kitchen cabinets, other than let them collect
dust?

Box it in is the best option. There comes a point where style should
give way to practical. Anything stored up there, or just left empty
is a dust collector. Some people might use it for storeage but I
wouldn't. I am 6' but still need a 'grabber' or stool to get things
off the top shelf of the cabinets as it is.

Harry K

I agree with you Harry. Having had upper cabinets both ways I prefer a
soffit over the cabs rather than open, or have the cabs go up to the
ceiling with smaller compartments and doors along the top; which catch
all the stuff you tend to forget about :-)

Another consideration is to lower the entire ceiling and have recessed
lighting and add the cans as well. Like this:

http://www.toltec-carpentry.com/imag...ughed%20in.jpg

http://tinyurl.com/3e5gcn
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ha. My summer project ended up ripping this ceiling out of my kitchen and
putting in a regular height ceiling with pot lights. In my case the middle
recess was filled with two fluorescent fixtures and there was another little
fluorescent fixture recessed above the sink.

Now in our case the kitchen is fairly small at about 10 X 10. On top of that
the entrance into the kitchen was cut in half by a peninsula containing the
dishwasher. It was very bright so I wouldn't say it was cave-like but I felt
that the drop ceiling made the space feel even smaller than it was. We have
standard 8' ceilings so the kitchen was only 7"4". (I also cut out the
peninsula and moved the dishwasher to beside the sink, so the room is now an
open U rather than semi closed in.) We think the kitchen feels much bigger
now, part of that is the visual effect of seeing the top of the walls behind
the top cupboards and that it is less demarked as a separate space from the
adjoining eating area. It's a visual reminder that the room is 10 x 10
even though 3 sides of the room are occupied with cabinets and appliances
reducing the floor space almost in half.

So for your consideration, think about the visual impact closing off this
space will have on the room. A larger space or higher ceilings would impact
the decision.

I do like the rope light idea suggested earlier, I think I'll be giving that
a try.
Jeff

"Manster" wrote in message
Harry K wrote:
On Oct 8, 1:11 pm, Jerry wrote:
[...]

Space for washing machine between cabinets Jasper UK diy 5 December 30th 06 10:59 PM
kitchen cabinets..what to get [email protected] Home Repair 6 January 22nd 06 04:36 PM
Kitchen Cabinets david lang UK diy 5 October 2nd 05 10:53 AM
Kitchen cabinets Janis Woodworking 3 March 12th 05 05:58 PM
Kitchen cabinets Lynn Home Ownership 16 March 23rd 04 04:51 PM