Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default @%!#$% creak under carpet

I've recently moved into an apartment that must have the creakiest
floor in the world. The entire thing is wall to wall carpeting. I've
been using a stud finder to attempt to locate floor studs and then
driver finish nails through the carpet and then countersink them below
the carpet. It works great when I can find a stud, but finding them
is turning out to be hit and miss.

Does anyone have an error proof way of finding the floor studs that I
can try? I'm about at the end of my rope.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe" wrote in message
I've recently moved into an apartment that must have the creakiest
floor in the world. The entire thing is wall to wall carpeting. I've
been using a stud finder to attempt to locate floor studs and then
driver finish nails through the carpet and then countersink them below
the carpet. It works great when I can find a stud, but finding them
is turning out to be hit and miss.

Does anyone have an error proof way of finding the floor studs that I
can try? I'm about at the end of my rope.

Different idea: Are you on the first floor? If so, do you have access to the
cellar?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 20:29:03 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"Joe" wrote in message
.. .
I've recently moved into an apartment that must have the creakiest
floor in the world. The entire thing is wall to wall carpeting. I've
been using a stud finder to attempt to locate floor studs and then
driver finish nails through the carpet and then countersink them below
the carpet. It works great when I can find a stud, but finding them
is turning out to be hit and miss.

Does anyone have an error proof way of finding the floor studs that I
can try? I'm about at the end of my rope.

Different idea: Are you on the first floor? If so, do you have access to the
cellar?

No, I'm on the second floor.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe" wrote in message
On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 20:29:03 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"Joe" wrote in message
. ..
I've recently moved into an apartment that must have the creakiest
floor in the world. The entire thing is wall to wall carpeting. I've
been using a stud finder to attempt to locate floor studs and then
driver finish nails through the carpet and then countersink them below
the carpet. It works great when I can find a stud, but finding them
is turning out to be hit and miss.

Does anyone have an error proof way of finding the floor studs that I
can try? I'm about at the end of my rope.

Different idea: Are you on the first floor? If so, do you have access to
the
cellar?

No, I'm on the second floor.

Oh well. So much for using a restaurant mustard container to squirt powder
in between pieces of wood in the basement. Save this idea for another time!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 22, 4:29 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message

I've recently moved into an apartment that must have the creakiest
floor in the world. The entire thing is wall to wall carpeting. I've
been using a stud finder to attempt to locate floor studs and then
driver finish nails through the carpet and then countersink them below
the carpet. It works great when I can find a stud, but finding them
is turning out to be hit and miss.

Does anyone have an error proof way of finding the floor studs that I
can try? I'm about at the end of my rope.

Different idea: Are you on the first floor? If so, do you have access to the
cellar?

The technique is to find the ends of one joist. Use two nails and a
string to mark the length of that joist. Then, in most
construction, the other joists are going to be 16" apart, so now you
can mark off the ends of the rest of them.

I think trying to use finish nails to solve this, however is a losing
propostion, because a finish nail will not hold enough. There are
some products made specifically for this. One is a system with a
screw that you drive into the carpet using a special driver
attachement that goes onto a driver drill. The screw goes in and
when tight, the upper part snaps off below the carpet. I don't
remember the product name, but if you google for floor squeak fix or
fixing squeaky floors, etc, you'll likely find it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I think trying to use finish nails to solve this, however is a losing
propostion, because a finish nail will not hold enough. There are
some products made specifically for this. One is a system with a
screw that you drive into the carpet using a special driver
attachement that goes onto a driver drill. The screw goes in and
when tight, the upper part snaps off below the carpet. I don't
remember the product name, but if you google for floor squeak fix or
fixing squeaky floors, etc, you'll likely find it.

If you go to the Ask This Old House web site, they have a video of how to do
it. Nifty tool.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote:
I've recently moved into an apartment that must have the creakiest
floor in the world. The entire thing is wall to wall carpeting. I've
been using a stud finder to attempt to locate floor studs and then
driver finish nails through the carpet and then countersink them below
the carpet. It works great when I can find a stud, but finding them
is turning out to be hit and miss.

Does anyone have an error proof way of finding the floor studs that I
can try? I'm about at the end of my rope.

Creaks are quaint and give character to the residence.

Plus, you can tell when someone is sneaking up on you while you lie
peacefully in your bed.

Wish I had squeaks, but, alas, it's a concrete slab.