Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Repainting Water Stained Ceiling

Hello,

Had a leak from an upstairs bathroom, that discolored the ceiling of the
room below. Leak now fixed.

Before I repaint the leaked area (turned brownish-orange), what do I want to
coat it with prior to the regular latex interior house paint.

I heard about a product called "Kilz".

Is this what I want, or is there something better ?

Do I have to scrape out all the damaged area first, or just put some more
spackle in there first, or... ?

Not too sharp with this, and would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert11" wrote in message
Hello,

Had a leak from an upstairs bathroom, that discolored the ceiling of the
room below. Leak now fixed.

Before I repaint the leaked area (turned brownish-orange), what do I want
to coat it with prior to the regular latex interior house paint.

I heard about a product called "Kilz".

Is this what I want, or is there something better ?

Do I have to scrape out all the damaged area first, or just put some more
spackle in there first, or... ?

Not too sharp with this, and would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,
Bob

Many years ago, the Kilz brand was billed as the one to use when you needed
to cover stains. But, they also make a primer that's just primer, to compete
with everyone else who makes primer. It'll work fine. If you want to go
top-of-the-line, open your yellow pages phone book, find some hardware or
paint specialty stores, and find a place that sells Devoe or Martin-Senour
brands. Go there. Buy it. Don't ask how much. Just buy it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 9, 7:36 am, "Robert11" wrote:
Hello,

Had a leak from an upstairs bathroom, that discolored the ceiling of the
room below. Leak now fixed.

Before I repaint the leaked area (turned brownish-orange), what do I want to
coat it with prior to the regular latex interior house paint.

I heard about a product called "Kilz".

Is this what I want, or is there something better ?

Do I have to scrape out all the damaged area first, or just put some more
spackle in there first, or... ?

Not too sharp with this, and would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,
Bob

I saw in one of those TV shows that they used spray of Bleach/Javex or
other Cleaning products to clean it first and then paint it with
regular paint.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kilz will work. If it's basically just a stain, you can paint the Kilz
right over it. If there is a little roughness to the surface, you can sand
it smooth and paint it with Kilz. You don't have to dig it out.

But, I have also done this and it worked fine: Spray the stained area with
any enamel spray paint you may have around, then paint over it with regular
latex paint to paint the ceiling. The enamel paint keeps the stain from
"bleeding" through, which is what Kilz does.