Did Rain-x ruin my windshield or is it normal (how to make it better)?

Old October 7th 07, 02:18 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

Default Did Rain-x ruin my windshield or is it normal (how to make it better)?

If we wern't to use wipers why do we have them quess like signals to
look good Ha Ha

That was coherent!?

Old October 7th 07, 02:18 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

"Pete C." wrote in message

Considering that Rain-X should be the same everywhere, and windshields
should be the same everywhere, it would seem that those who report
problems are the source of those problems due to not following
application directions properly.

And therefore weather conditions are the same everywhere. We all get the
same contaminants in the air, the same amount of bird crap, the same amount
of tree sap, the same temperature differentials, the same humidity.

Old October 7th 07, 02:20 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

"Steve Barker LT" wrote in message
Did not.

steve

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
t...

"Steve Barker LT" wrote in message
give the windshield a good scrubbin' with an SOS pad. That'll get rid
of the rainx and the bugs.

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!
I used to do that all the time on my older cars. Then I did a tiny spot
on my '01 LeSabre and it scratched the hell out of it.

Really? What were those marks?

Old October 7th 07, 02:22 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 7 Oct 2007 10:34:12 -0000, John Weiss wrote:

"Spotty" film could be the result of tree
sap, pollen, bugs, tar or a combination.

I looked more closely at the windshield in the early morning hours just
now. The spotty film is all over the windshield - everywhere. I really
doubt tree sap would be everywhere. Pretty much, it has to be something
that was 'smeared' on somehow since every inch of the windshield is
covered.

Funny thing, today it was damp enough for fog to be on the inside and I
noticed even the inside had the spotty film. It's BOTH on the inside and on
the outside. Jeeeezus.

I tried the brake cleaner for about 20 minutes and I hope that works. I
rubbed with a white towel and applied the brake cleaner from a spray can.
The stuff dries pretty quickly so I had to keep applying it. You can get
high in my car now, just sitting there, so I left the windows open. We'll
see if it works to get rid of whatever it is that is smeared on both the
inside and the outside of the windshield.
Old October 7th 07, 02:25 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On Oct 7, 8:08 am, "Pete C." wrote:
hls wrote:

"George" wrote in message
Rain-x is actually a good product and works well.

Not for everyone, dude. Some like it, some hate it.

Considering that Rain-X should be the same everywhere, and windshields
should be the same everywhere, it would seem that those who report
problems are the source of those problems due to not following
application directions properly.

For my Rain-X applications I clean the glass well first with decent
glass cleaner. I find the Zep brand glass cleaner seems to be one of the
best. Once the glass is clean and dry and also cooler and out of the
direct sun I apply the Rain-X and buff well with one of the micro fiber
cloths. I make a complete pass around to all the windows and then make a
second pass paying extra attention to the final buffing with a second
dry micro fiber cloth.

I never have any issues with streaks or spots and the Rain-X action
lasts for a few months. I do prefer the spray bottle Rain-X over the old
"lighter fluid bottle" type for ease of application.

I agree, once the initial cleaning and applying is done (not
easy)...subsequent application is easy.

Old October 7th 07, 02:27 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 05:52:03 -0500, * wrote:

Rain-X is best used by someone who spends a lot of time on the highway
but, as you are experiencing, tends to create a "haze" when using the wipers.

I would think that Rain-X shouldn't be sold much in coastal California
since it almost never rains here. Yes, the song is wrong. When it does
rain, it just drizzles all day. So Rain-X is all bad and never gets to be
good.

I grew up in Florida so I certainly know what real rain is. Out here in
California, it won't rain a drop for ten months, and then for two months,
there's wet air for weeks. But not really rain. I've been here five years
now and haven't seen a real rain yet.

Point is, I want to get that horrid rain-x off my windshield!
I sure hope the brake cleaner, recommended by Kraagen, works. Time will
tell.
Old October 7th 07, 02:31 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message

Considering that Rain-X should be the same everywhere, and windshields
should be the same everywhere, it would seem that those who report
problems are the source of those problems due to not following
application directions properly.

And therefore weather conditions are the same everywhere. We all get the
same contaminants in the air, the same amount of bird crap, the same amount
of tree sap, the same temperature differentials, the same humidity.

None of which have any relevance to the application process. And for
additional reference, I've used Rain-X in CT and in TX and it works
equally well in both climates. I've also driven Rain-Xed vehicles
between CT and TX and the Rain-X has performed well in all the climates
between the two. So again, if you found you had problems with Rain-X,
I'd suggest trying it again, paying particular attention to the
application process.
Old October 7th 07, 03:06 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair
dpb

John Weiss wrote:
"hls" wrote...
I used RainX once and didnt really care for it. It is, I believe, a
silicone compound that adsorbs upon your windshield glass and makes it
shed water quickly.

It's actually an alcohol of some kind.

As posted earlier, it has alcohol as one of the solvents/carriers, but
alcohol isn't the "active" ingredient...

Ingredient # 01
Ingredient Name *WATER (50-90%)
CAS Number 7732185
Proprietary NO
Percent 90
Ingredient # 02
Ingredient Name METHANOL (20-35%)
CAS Number 67561
Proprietary N0
Percent 35
Ingredient # 03
Ingredient Name BENZENEMETHANAMINIUM,
N-[2-[(2,6-DIMETHYLPHENYL)AMINO]-2-OXOETHYL]-N,N-DIETHYL-, BENZOATE (1%)

Old October 7th 07, 03:20 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

on 10/7/2007 9:08 AM Pete C. said the following:
hls wrote:

"George" wrote in message

[...]

Rain-X now sells Windshield wiper fluid additive (mix with water),
window cleaner additive (mix with to water), Winter de-icing washer
fluid (full strength), and windshield wipers. I use 3 of the 4 fluids,
besides the spray.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Old October 7th 07, 03:21 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

on 10/7/2007 9:18 AM Edwin Pawlowski said the following:
"Pete C." wrote in message

Considering that Rain-X should be the same everywhere, and windshields
should be the same everywhere, it would seem that those who report
problems are the source of those problems due to not following
application directions properly.

And therefore weather conditions are the same everywhere. We all get the
same contaminants in the air, the same amount of bird crap, the same amount
of tree sap, the same temperature differentials, the same humidity.

Some probably don't get the acid rain that is popular in the NE

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY