Posted to rec.autos.tech,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Did Rain-x ruin my windshield or is it normal (how to make it better)?

On Sat, 6 Oct 2007 21:54:31 -0500, "hls" wrote:

"George" wrote in message
Rain-x is actually a good product and works well.

Not for everyone, dude. Some like it, some hate it.

I understand that in 6 US states, past elections have turned on the
Rain-x versus the Anti-Rain-x forces. It's expected that this will
determine about 31% of the vote, November 2008.
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 13:08:36 GMT, "Pete C."
wrote:

For my Rain-X applications I clean the glass well first with decent
glass cleaner. I find the Zep brand glass cleaner seems to be one of the
best. Once the glass is clean and dry and also cooler and out of the
direct sun I apply the Rain-X and buff well with one of the micro fiber
cloths. I make a complete pass around to all the windows and then make a
second pass paying extra attention to the final buffing with a second
dry micro fiber cloth.

I never have any issues with streaks or spots and the Rain-X action
lasts for a few months. I do prefer the spray bottle Rain-X over the old
"lighter fluid bottle" type for ease of application.

They don't sell enough lighter fluid anymore, so they had to
discontinue the bottles.

Posted to rec.autos.tech,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

On Oct 6, 1:52 pm, "hls" wrote:
I used RainX once and didnt really care for it. It is, I believe, a
silicone compound that
adsorbs upon your windshield glass and makes it shed water quickly.

As mine deteriorated, I had some issues with patchy spots, and decided if I
ever got it
clean I would never use the stuff again.

You spots may be from oil from the engine or highway, dirty wipers, paint or
chemicals
which have drifted onto your car or maybe even more possibilities.

You may have to clean the glass with a good glass cleaner and replace your
wiper blades
to get relief. (I have some windows that are so badly filmed with
"something" I have never
been able to get them clean.)

I have the same opinion. It was great when freshly applied, but was
not good when it started to wear through. Then, it took a LOT of
effort to get it completely off. I rubbed a lot with lacquer
thinner! So I decided not to use it in the future.

Posted to rec.autos.tech,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

John Weiss wrote:
"dpb" wrote...

As posted earlier, it has alcohol as one of the solvents/carriers, but
alcohol isn't the "active" ingredient...

Ingredient Name BENZENEMETHANAMINIUM,
N-[2-[(2,6-DIMETHYLPHENYL)AMINO]-2-OXOETHYL]-N,N-DIETHYL-, BENZOATE (1%)

Isn't that what's in acne medications? ;-)

Do you see any acne on my windshield? I thought not. Hah.

--
"You can't block traffic if you're not in the way."
Posted to rec.autos.tech,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

Slacker wrote:
My windshield is fine except in the morning when the dew and sunshine
combine to make it impossible to see due to this naughty spotty on/off film
that I just can't windshield wipe off. Even the mirrors are spotty in the
morning. The rear and side windows are fine.

When I was driving the neighbor's fifteen year old to school yesterday
morning, he said it was the nasty rainx. What rainx? I bought the car used
about six months ago and I never used anything with rain x on the
windshield.

Is rain-x the culprit? If so, how do I save the windshield?
Is there a way to remove this rain x stuff so I can see again?

Could it be car wax? ISTR a similar problem with a van at work.
Wiped the glass down with denatured alcohol to remove the film.

PB

Posted to rec.autos.tech,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 07:59:04 -0400, mm wrote:

I don't know what adsorb means, but I'm pretty sure you can remove the
stuff, or the patches will get bigger until it's all patch, like
impetigo.

aBsorb === to take up or receive by chemical or molecular action

aDsorb === to gather (a gas, liquid, or dissolved substance) on a surface
in a condensed layer: Charcoal will adsorb gases.
Posted to rec.autos.tech,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

Slacker wrote:

To find what is inside Rain-X, I first tried calling Sopus Products in
Houston at 800-416-1600 but they are only open 8am to 5pm Central time.
Their web page says Rain-X is composed of methanol
http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov...nds&id=2003038

Looking deeper, I then tried calling Kafko International, Ltd. 800-528-0334
in Illinois
http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov...ds&id=11013001
Interestingly, they say Rain-X is isopropanol and sulfuric acid!

I look again at Shell Oil's Rain-X only to find it's made out of
"unspecified surfactants" and water!
http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov...ds&id=19037001

Back at Pennzoil-Quaker State, we find Rain-X composed of clay, alcohol,
and emulsifiers!
Clays = 1-10%
Ethanol/SD Alcohol 40 = 70-95%
Isopropanol = 1-10%
Thickening agent(s) = 1-5%
http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov...nds&id=2003042

Moving to Scottsdale Arizona, calling Unelko Corp at 800-528-3149, I find
it's got a whole recipe of "anes", "ols", "acids", and "ones"...
Ethanol/SD Alcohol 40 = 86%
Isopropanol = 4%
Ethyl sulfate = 1%
Polydimethylsiloxanes Silicon oil = 9%
Silicic acid (H4SiO4), tetraethyl ester, hydrolysis products with
chlorotrimethylsilane = 9%
Siloxanes and Silicones, di-Me, hydroxy-terminated = 9%

What's with the ingredients of Rain-X?
Is it basically snake oil and placebo or does it actually have a consistent
consistency?

WTF are you talking about? You've checked 3 different Rain-X branded
products (washer fluid, original, and "windshield wax") plus one
completely un-related product that isn't even Rain-X! Of COURSE the
formulations are different! Sheesh.