Posted to rec.autos.tech,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

Default Did Rain-x ruin my windshield or is it normal (how to make itbetter)?

clifto wrote:
George wrote:
Rain-x is actually a good product and works well.

Glad you like it. The one time I tried it, I got a yellowish film all over
the windshield that was pure hell when the sun was in front of the car.
Really reduced my visibility under those conditions.

Before there was Rain-x, there was..... wax. Back in the day, when I'd
wash and wax my Mach-1, I'd wax the windshield too... you had to be sure
to clean all of the excess off, but it served the same purpose.... just
sayin'.....
Posted to rec.autos.tech,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

Did not.

steve

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
t...

"Steve Barker LT" wrote in message
give the windshield a good scrubbin' with an SOS pad. That'll get rid of
the rainx and the bugs.

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!
I used to do that all the time on my older cars. Then I did a tiny spot
on my '01 LeSabre and it scratched the hell out of it.

Posted to rec.autos.tech,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

"Slacker" wrote...
My windshield is fine except in the morning when the dew and sunshine
combine to make it impossible to see due to this naughty spotty on/off
film
that I just can't windshield wipe off. Even the mirrors are spotty in the
morning. The rear and side windows are fine.

When I was driving the neighbor's fifteen year old to school yesterday
morning, he said it was the nasty rainx. What rainx? I bought the car
used
about six months ago and I never used anything with rain x on the
windshield.

Is rain-x the culprit? If so, how do I save the windshield?
Is there a way to remove this rain x stuff so I can see again?

I doubt Rain-X is the culprit. If applied properly, Rain-X is VERY good at
what it is designed to do -- let rainwater blow off the windshield in the
airstream without using wipers. "Spotty" film could be the result of tree
sap, pollen, bugs, tar or a combination.

Instead of trying to use the wipers to clean the windshield, clean it by
hand thoroughly, then get new wiper blades. You may have to use an ammonia
cleaner or other "heavy duty" cleaner along with a nylon scrubber pad.

Once the windshield is clean, you can try Rain-X if you want. However, do
NOT apply Rain-X to a dirty windshield! It won't "fix" ANYthing!

Posted to rec.autos.tech,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

"hls" wrote...
I used RainX once and didnt really care for it. It is, I believe, a
silicone compound that adsorbs upon your windshield glass and makes it
shed water quickly.

It's actually an alcohol of some kind.

(I have some windows that are so badly filmed with "something" I have
never been able to get them clean.)

Could be rubber from worn wiper blades...

Posted to rec.autos.tech,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair
* * is offline

I have found that Rain-X is best used by someone who spends a lot of time
on the highway - not piddling around town.

It works best at speeds OVER 35 m.p.h., but, as you are experiencing, tends
to create a "haze" when using the wipers.

But, you wouldn't believe how well it works on the highway - especially
when passing a tractor-trailer and driving through the "rooster tail" with
the wipers turned OFF!

When I traveled heavily, I used it. Now that I don't travel that much, I
don't use it any more.

Posted to rec.autos.tech,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

Shanghai McCoy wrote:
clifto wrote:

George wrote:

Rain-x is actually a good product and works well.

Glad you like it. The one time I tried it, I got a yellowish film all
over
the windshield that was pure hell when the sun was in front of the car.
Really reduced my visibility under those conditions.

Before there was Rain-x, there was..... wax. Back in the day, when I'd
wash and wax my Mach-1, I'd wax the windshield too... you had to be sure
to clean all of the excess off, but it served the same purpose.... just
sayin'.....

ACtually there used to be a product called "glass wax" but I haven't
seen it available for years.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to rec.autos.tech,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

Did you make sure to rub it off after applying it? Many people think
all the have to do is just apply it to the windshield. If you put it
on and don't rub it off after it has set there for a minute or so,
your windows are a big mess.

If you follow the directions, Rain-X is fantastic. I don't even need
to use my wipers most of the time.

John Weiss wrote:
"hls" wrote...
I used RainX once and didnt really care for it. It is, I believe, a
silicone compound that adsorbs upon your windshield glass and makes it
shed water quickly.

It's actually an alcohol of some kind.

(I have some windows that are so badly filmed with "something" I have
never been able to get them clean.)

Could be rubber from worn wiper blades...

Posted to rec.autos.tech,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

John Weiss wrote:
"hls" wrote...
I used RainX once and didnt really care for it. It is, I believe, a
silicone compound that adsorbs upon your windshield glass and makes it
shed water quickly.

It's actually an alcohol of some kind.

(I have some windows that are so badly filmed with "something" I have
never been able to get them clean.)

Could be rubber from worn wiper blades...- Hide quoted text -

If we wern't to use wipers why do we have them quess like signals to
look good Ha Ha

Posted to rec.autos.tech,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

my neighbor had that on a car he purchased, and didnt like it for
whatever reason. he used clean rags and gasoline to clean and replaced
his wiper blades.

use glass cleaner, then gasoline, then glass cleaner. install new
blades.

my father in law uses rain X and swears by it.....

sure environmentally incorrect but I remember when gasoline was a
universal solvent for near everything......

Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

hls wrote:

"George" wrote in message
Rain-x is actually a good product and works well.

Not for everyone, dude. Some like it, some hate it.

Considering that Rain-X should be the same everywhere, and windshields
should be the same everywhere, it would seem that those who report
problems are the source of those problems due to not following
application directions properly.

For my Rain-X applications I clean the glass well first with decent
glass cleaner. I find the Zep brand glass cleaner seems to be one of the
best. Once the glass is clean and dry and also cooler and out of the
direct sun I apply the Rain-X and buff well with one of the micro fiber
cloths. I make a complete pass around to all the windows and then make a
second pass paying extra attention to the final buffing with a second
dry micro fiber cloth.

I never have any issues with streaks or spots and the Rain-X action
lasts for a few months. I do prefer the spray bottle Rain-X over the old
"lighter fluid bottle" type for ease of application.

Posted to rec.autos.tech,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

If we wern't to use wipers why do we have them quess like signals to
look good Ha Ha

That was coherent!?

Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

"Pete C." wrote in message

Considering that Rain-X should be the same everywhere, and windshields
should be the same everywhere, it would seem that those who report
problems are the source of those problems due to not following
application directions properly.

And therefore weather conditions are the same everywhere. We all get the
same contaminants in the air, the same amount of bird crap, the same amount
of tree sap, the same temperature differentials, the same humidity.

Posted to rec.autos.tech,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

"Steve Barker LT" wrote in message
Did not.

steve

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
t...

"Steve Barker LT" wrote in message
give the windshield a good scrubbin' with an SOS pad. That'll get rid
of the rainx and the bugs.

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!
I used to do that all the time on my older cars. Then I did a tiny spot
on my '01 LeSabre and it scratched the hell out of it.

Really? What were those marks?

Posted to rec.autos.tech,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 7 Oct 2007 10:34:12 -0000, John Weiss wrote:

"Spotty" film could be the result of tree
sap, pollen, bugs, tar or a combination.

I looked more closely at the windshield in the early morning hours just
now. The spotty film is all over the windshield - everywhere. I really
doubt tree sap would be everywhere. Pretty much, it has to be something
that was 'smeared' on somehow since every inch of the windshield is
covered.

Funny thing, today it was damp enough for fog to be on the inside and I
noticed even the inside had the spotty film. It's BOTH on the inside and on
the outside. Jeeeezus.

I tried the brake cleaner for about 20 minutes and I hope that works. I
rubbed with a white towel and applied the brake cleaner from a spray can.
The stuff dries pretty quickly so I had to keep applying it. You can get
high in my car now, just sitting there, so I left the windows open. We'll
see if it works to get rid of whatever it is that is smeared on both the
inside and the outside of the windshield.
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On Oct 7, 8:08 am, "Pete C." wrote:
hls wrote:

"George" wrote in message
[...]

I agree, once the initial cleaning and applying is done (not
easy)...subsequent application is easy.

Posted to rec.autos.tech,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 05:52:03 -0500, * wrote:

Rain-X is best used by someone who spends a lot of time on the highway
but, as you are experiencing, tends to create a "haze" when using the wipers.

I would think that Rain-X shouldn't be sold much in coastal California
since it almost never rains here. Yes, the song is wrong. When it does
rain, it just drizzles all day. So Rain-X is all bad and never gets to be
good.

I grew up in Florida so I certainly know what real rain is. Out here in
California, it won't rain a drop for ten months, and then for two months,
there's wet air for weeks. But not really rain. I've been here five years
now and haven't seen a real rain yet.

Point is, I want to get that horrid rain-x off my windshield!
I sure hope the brake cleaner, recommended by Kraagen, works. Time will
tell.
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message

Considering that Rain-X should be the same everywhere, and windshields
should be the same everywhere, it would seem that those who report
problems are the source of those problems due to not following
application directions properly.

And therefore weather conditions are the same everywhere. We all get the
same contaminants in the air, the same amount of bird crap, the same amount
of tree sap, the same temperature differentials, the same humidity.

None of which have any relevance to the application process. And for
additional reference, I've used Rain-X in CT and in TX and it works
equally well in both climates. I've also driven Rain-Xed vehicles
between CT and TX and the Rain-X has performed well in all the climates
between the two. So again, if you found you had problems with Rain-X,
I'd suggest trying it again, paying particular attention to the
application process.
Posted to rec.autos.tech,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

John Weiss wrote:
"hls" wrote...
I used RainX once and didnt really care for it. It is, I believe, a
silicone compound that adsorbs upon your windshield glass and makes it
shed water quickly.

It's actually an alcohol of some kind.

As posted earlier, it has alcohol as one of the solvents/carriers, but
alcohol isn't the "active" ingredient...

Ingredient # 01
Ingredient Name *WATER (50-90%)
CAS Number 7732185
Proprietary NO
Percent 90
Ingredient # 02
Ingredient Name METHANOL (20-35%)
CAS Number 67561
Proprietary N0
Percent 35
Ingredient # 03
Ingredient Name BENZENEMETHANAMINIUM,
N-[2-[(2,6-DIMETHYLPHENYL)AMINO]-2-OXOETHYL]-N,N-DIETHYL-, BENZOATE (1%)

Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

on 10/7/2007 9:08 AM Pete C. said the following:
hls wrote:

"George" wrote in message

[...]

Rain-X now sells Windshield wiper fluid additive (mix with water),
window cleaner additive (mix with to water), Winter de-icing washer
fluid (full strength), and windshield wipers. I use 3 of the 4 fluids,
besides the spray.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

on 10/7/2007 9:18 AM Edwin Pawlowski said the following:
"Pete C." wrote in message

Considering that Rain-X should be the same everywhere, and windshields
should be the same everywhere, it would seem that those who report
problems are the source of those problems due to not following
application directions properly.

And therefore weather conditions are the same everywhere. We all get the
same contaminants in the air, the same amount of bird crap, the same amount
of tree sap, the same temperature differentials, the same humidity.

Some probably don't get the acid rain that is popular in the NE

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to rec.autos.tech,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

On Oct 7, 7:38 am, Nate Nagel wrote:
Shanghai McCoy wrote:
clifto wrote:

George wrote:

Rain-x is actually a good product and works well.

Glad you like it. The one time I tried it, I got a yellowish film all
over
the windshield that was pure hell when the sun was in front of the car.
Really reduced my visibility under those conditions.

Before there was Rain-x, there was..... wax. Back in the day, when I'd
wash and wax my Mach-1, I'd wax the windshield too... you had to be sure
to clean all of the excess off, but it served the same purpose.... just
sayin'.....

ACtually there used to be a product called "glass wax" but I haven't
seen it available for years.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel- Hide quoted text -

-- used to be a product called "glass wax"

Glass Wax was a glass cleaner that did not do the same thing that Rain-
X does. Glass Wax was a thick pink liquid that dried white just like
car wax. Once dried, you "polished" the glass with a rag to remove. It
provided no "rain slides off without wipers" feature. It did do a good
job of cleaning glass as well as a number of other surfaces.

It was also good for decorating your windows for the holidays. See a
can he

http://tinyurl.com/yserbg

Posted to rec.autos.tech,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

Shanghai McCoy wrote:

clifto wrote:

George wrote:

[...]

I know that it wasn't the same sort of product as Rain-X, but I wish I
could find some because it did do a heck of a job cleaning up
windshields. A friend used to have a can but it is long gone, and I
haven't seen any new on the market.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to rec.autos.tech,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Nate Nagel wrote:

I know that it wasn't the same sort of product as Rain-X, but I wish I
could find some [old glass wax product]...

Don't know how similar it is to the old stuff, but Rain-X makes a
product labeled as a glass wax. While looking for the MSDS to see what
is in the aerosol, discovered there are some 20-30 products under the
Rain-X brand...

I've never used any of them so have no opinion on their efficacy nor
knowledge of what the product actually is, just noted your plaintive cry
and had recently seen the listing...

Posted to rec.autos.tech,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 10:20:14 -0400, willshak wrote:

Rain-X now sells Windshield wiper fluid additive (mix with water),
window cleaner additive (mix with to water), Winter de-icing washer
fluid (full strength), and windshield wipers. I use 3 of the 4 fluids,
besides the spray.

Finally, the voice of wisdom!
Rain-X even sells all-weather cargo bags & windshield wipers!

So, let's stop calling it "rain-x" and start calling it 'rain-x product'.
Otherwise, we're all talking about something different.

Let's start by listing the rain-x products of interest first.
Then we can get to their ingredients and then to how they work.

Here are the rain-x brand products I found in a quick search
* Rain-X Roof Top Cargo Bag $64.99
* Rain-X Weatherbeater Wiper Blades $8.99
* RainX Fast Wax $6.99
* RainX Bug & Tar Pre-Wash Gel $5.99
* Rain-X Wash & Wax with Carnuba Beads, 20 Ounce Bottle $6.24
* Rain-X Anti-Fog Class Cleaner Wipes (25 Ct) $4.99
* Rain-X Anti-Fog Treatment (3.5 oz) $1.99
* Rain-X Anti-Fog Treatment (7 oz) $4.99
* Rain-X Anti-Fog Treatment Towelettes $1.99.
* Rain-X Bug & Tar Pre-Wash Gel (16 oz Bottle) $3.99
* Rain-X Bug & Tar Pro-Shield (16 oz Aerosol Can) $4.99
* Rain-X De-Icer Aerosol (15 oz) $3.99
* Rain-X Fast Wax (16 & 23 oz Trigger Spray) $5.99
* Rain-X Foaming Car Wash Concentrate (100 oz Bottle) $12.99

Now, someone tell me, WHICH rain-x product above are we talking about that
streaks your windshield inside and outside and that which can't easily be
removed but which apparently works if properly applied?
Posted to rec.autos.tech,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 14:34:49 -0500, dpb wrote:

I don't know what it is made of, but it smells like burnt alcohol ...

Ingredient Name BENZENEMETHANAMINIUM,
N-[2-[(2,6-DIMETHYLPHENYL)AMINO]-2-OXOETHYL]-N,N-DIETHYL-, BENZOATE (1%)

There are lots of rain-x products out there so I assume you're talking
about the de-icer when you mention this chemical as that chemical doesn't
appear to be in the rain-x anti-fog or rain-slick treatment.

The rain-x de-icer & pesticide msds sheet is here
http://www.setonresourcecenter.com/m...8/wcd00802.htm

The Benzenemethanaminium in the rain-x de-icer & pesticide is
http://sci-toys.com/scichem/jqp028/55211.html

Synonyms for the Benzenemethanaminium (C12H26O3S) rain-x pesticide are
* N-(C12-C16-alkyl)-N,N-dimethyl-, 1-dodecanesulfonate
* Dodecanesulfonic acid
* Dodecane-1-sulphonic acid
* Dodecylsulfonic acid
* Dodecanesulfonate
* Dodecylsulfonate
* (Z)-N,N-Dimethyl-N-9-octadecenylbenzenemethanaminium chloride
* Ammonyx KP
* Benzenemethanaminium, N,N-dimethyl-N-(9Z)-9-octadecenyl-, chloride
* Benzenemethanaminium, N,N-dimethyl-N-9-octadecenyl-, chloride
* Benzenemethanaminium, N,N-dimethyl-N-9-octadecenyl-, chloride, (Z)-
* Benzyldimethyloleylammonium chloride
* Benzyloleyldimethylammonium chloride
* Cycloton 7LUF
* N,N-Dimethyl-N-9-octadecenylbenzenemethanaminium chloride
* N-Oleyl-N,N-dimethylbenzylammonium chloride
* Olealkonium chloride
* Oleyl dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride
* Rhodaquat 7LUF
* Tret-O-Lite XC 503

So, any one of these may be listed on the package.

Being a sulfonic acid, I would hazard a guess rain-x de-icer works by polar
attraction (but I might easily be wrong). I do not know how the rain-x
pesticide would work though. Maybe you do?

Posted to rec.autos.tech,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

In article ,
Jeff Dittmar wrote:

I do not know how the rain-x
pesticide would work though. Maybe you do?

Hmm, seems superfluous. The bugs that hit my windshield die pretty
readily w/o pesticides.

I know this discussion has drifted away from the OPs original query, and
that's fine, but has anyone forgotten that he never put any kind of
rain-x on his car? He bought it used, and has no idea at all why the
windshield is splotchy.
Posted to rec.autos.tech,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair
hls hls is offline

"Slacker" wrote in message
. ..

Point is, I want to get that horrid rain-x off my windshield!
I sure hope the brake cleaner, recommended by Kraagen, works. Time will
tell.

I used a glass cleaning product from the FLAPS that has some clay dispersed
in a solvent system. The clay is not abrasive to glass, but provides a
large surface
area which helps compete for the surface active materials in RainX and the
like.

No magic bullet...just elbow grease.

For all those who like RainX, good on ya'. I dont. I applied it properly,
and just dont like the effect.

Posted to rec.autos.tech,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

on 10/7/2007 12:21 PM hls said the following:

"Slacker" wrote in message
. ..

Point is, I want to get that horrid rain-x off my windshield!
I sure hope the brake cleaner, recommended by Kraagen, works. Time will
tell.

I used a glass cleaning product from the FLAPS that has some clay
dispersed
in a solvent system. The clay is not abrasive to glass, but provides
a large surface
area which helps compete for the surface active materials in RainX and
the like.

Like jewelers rouge?

No magic bullet...just elbow grease.

For all those who like RainX, good on ya'. I dont. I applied it
properly,
and just dont like the effect.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to rec.autos.tech,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

Slacker wrote:

Point is, I want to get that horrid rain-x off my windshield!
I sure hope the brake cleaner, recommended by Kraagen, works. Time will
tell.

Not sure why you keep repeating this. You don't know if it is Rain-X and
you are treating the clerk at the big box stores opinion as gospel.
Posted to rec.autos.tech,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

"*" wrote...
I have found that Rain-X is best used by someone who spends a lot of time
on the highway - not piddling around town.

It works best at speeds OVER 35 m.p.h., but, as you are experiencing,
tends
to create a "haze" when using the wipers.

In my experience, what you describe as a "haze" is simply the remaining
water on the windshield broken into much smaller droplets than normally are
deposited by the rain. It happens with a cold windshield, and is more like
the misting from morning dew, but much finer. A single wipe from the
wipers will remove it. Once the windshield is warmed by the defroster, it
goes away.

Posted to rec.autos.tech,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote...

As posted earlier, it has alcohol as one of the solvents/carriers, but
alcohol isn't the "active" ingredient...

Ingredient Name BENZENEMETHANAMINIUM,
N-[2-[(2,6-DIMETHYLPHENYL)AMINO]-2-OXOETHYL]-N,N-DIETHYL-, BENZOATE (1%)

Isn't that what's in acne medications? ;-)

Posted to rec.autos.tech,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair
hls hls is offline

"willshak" wrote in message
on 10/7/2007 12:21 PM hls said the following:

"Slacker" wrote in message
. ..

Point is, I want to get that horrid rain-x off my windshield!
I sure hope the brake cleaner, recommended by Kraagen, works. Time will
tell.

I used a glass cleaning product from the FLAPS that has some clay
dispersed
in a solvent system. The clay is not abrasive to glass, but provides a
large surface
area which helps compete for the surface active materials in RainX and
the like.

Like jewelers rouge?

No, not jewelers rouge, but that would also provide a large surface area.

Kaolin, typically, may be used.

The material I bought was packaged in sealed foil envelopes, but I dont
remember the brand name.

You may also remember the old BonAmi product which was of a very
low order of abrasiveness. It was ground feldspar, IIRC.

Posted to rec.autos.tech,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

on 10/7/2007 3:18 PM hls said the following:

"willshak" wrote in message
on 10/7/2007 12:21 PM hls said the following:

"Slacker" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

It's still around.
http://www.bonami.com/

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

George wrote:

Slacker wrote:

Point is, I want to get that horrid rain-x off my windshield!
I sure hope the brake cleaner, recommended by Kraagen, works. Time will
tell.

Not sure why you keep repeating this. You don't know if it is Rain-X and
you are treating the clerk at the big box stores opinion as gospel.

He just want's to bash Rain-X apparently, and keeps repeating it because
he knows most people know he's full of it, especially given his initial
admission that he has no idea what is actually on his windshield if
indeed he is actually old enough to have something with a real
windshield at all. Were he mature and responsible he would not persist
in blaming a product he has no knowledge of and no proof is at all
involved in his problem.
Posted to rec.autos.tech,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

On Oct 6, 3:19 pm, "DanG" wrote:
Acetone will clean the glass. Be very careful, it will injure
paint. Wipe the wiper blades, too.

When I was driving the neighbor's fifteen year old to school
yesterday
morning, he said it was the nasty rainx. What rainx? I bought
the car used
about six months ago and I never used anything with rain x on
the
windshield.

Is rain-x the culprit? If so, how do I save the windshield?
Is there a way to remove this rain x stuff so I can see again?

If you bought the car used it might have been repainted or in a
bodyshop where it got overspray on the glass.
I have used lacquer thinner and 000 steel wool to remove paint as it
does a good job polishing the glass.
I have used Rain-X for years and never seen a problem with it!
Of course if you live in the rust belt God only knows what is on the
glass.

Stormin
harmony forever
spebsqsa

Posted to rec.autos.tech,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

"Jeff Dittmar" wrote in message
. net...
[...]

The inside windshield product would be the Rain-X Anti-Fog treatment (3.5 oz
or 7 oz) which is in a bottle and needs to poured onto a towel or cloth to
apply to the inside of the windshield.

The outside windshield product would be the Rain-X Glass Treatment.

In my experience, both gave unsatisfactory results.

The Anti-Fog "worked", in a sense that the inside of the windshield did not
fog up, but left a film that would give a very bad haze in full sunlight.

The Rain-X Glass Treatment only seemed to bead up the water with at most a
light drizzle. For heavier rain, use of the wipers is still necessary and
the wiper blades soon begin streaking the windshield rather than effectively
removing all of the water.

I'm also finding the same issue with the Rain-X Washer Fluid
Additive--wipers are beginning to streak and not fully wipe away all the
water or washer fluid.

Now I just use the defogger function when the inside windshield begins to
fog up, and I just use high quality wipers when it is necessary for me to
use the windshield wipers.

For sure, these ideal laboratory-perfect clean windshield surface
cleanliness conditions are not specifically mentioned anywhere on the
bottles of those other two Rain-X products, and the Rain-X Washer Fluid
Additive does not even list a clean windshield as a requirement before use.

Posted to rec.autos.tech,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

"Daniel W. Rouse Jr." wrote
The Rain-X Glass Treatment only seemed to bead up the water with at most

light drizzle. For heavier rain, use of the wipers is still necessary

==
Rain-X Glass Treatment doesn't bead--it sheets. And, it sheets in the
heaviest downpours.
You obviously didn't follow the instructions ;-)

Posted to rec.autos.tech,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 6 Oct 2007 10:45:39 -0700, Slacker
wrote:

My windshield is fine except in the morning when the dew and sunshine
combine to make it impossible to see due to this naughty spotty on/off film
that I just can't windshield wipe off. Even the mirrors are spotty in the
morning. The rear and side windows are fine.

I wouldn't use rainx on the mirrors, because they don't fog up and
they don't get wet normally, but maybe someone does.

I used rainx once and I like it. In a mild rain you don't have to turn
on the wipers, because the rain is flat and you can look right through
it.

But it needed reapplication in less than 3 or 6 months and that was
too much effort for me since the car came with windshield wipers.

If the wipers were broken, it would be a tremendous asset until you
got them fixed.

I'd be surprised if somone put rainx on and it lasted longer than 6
months, but maybe they put on more than one coat.

When mine wore off, I noticed no patches, but maybe I konw how to; put
it on evenly.

I don't know what adsorb means, but I'm pretty sure you can remove the
stuff, or the patches will get bigger until it's all patch, like
impetigo.
Posted to rec.autos.tech,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 7 Oct 2007 08:01:28 -0700, Jeff Dittmar
wrote:

Being a sulfonic acid, I would hazard a guess rain-x de-icer works by polar
attraction (but I might easily be wrong). I do not know how the rain-x
pesticide would work though. Maybe you do?

The pesticide kills the rain.

Don't use the pesticide in an open convertible.

(It's fun to drive in the rain in an open convertible. The harder it
rains the faster you have to go, but even a heavy rain won't get in at
55 or 60.)